• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
    It does not appear Telesco's first two moves won many plaudits with various media outlets and analysts. I'm not sure he spent the money well either. Furthermore, unlike the Patriots, it doesn't feel like Telesco has a real free agency plan beyond the three signings and the return of MW. I suspect Staley would rather have younger players to "coach up" on defense at this point. Given Telesco signed OL in free agency, I think the draft will be mostly defense, with some maybe a mid-round OL or running back. But I don't envision OL at 13. Furthermore, it feels like with the money spent at center, Bulaga, and Feiler (plus likely some lower priced folks), an olineman with a first round contract may not make sense to Telesco. However, a first round contract for a CB or linebacker may make more sense. Lastly, Telesco has to be worried about his success rate with linemen in the draft, and I think therefore he believes he hits better on CB, linebackers, and other holes in the draft then the line. I would love to be proven wrong, but a mostly defense-based draft would not surprise me and it was my first thought when they hired Staley. .
    I actually think Telesco has a plan. He got back CB and improved OL

The team has salary cap space = -- they can still target specific players. Players are getting cheaper. Plus the draft.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

The unspent money rolls into next year. I'm honestly a little torn about this. Normally, I would prefer the Chargers roll that cap money into next year. I think they will be more competitive in 2022 than 2021 and waiting a year will give us a much better idea of what our needs will be in 2022.

But I think because of the falling cap this year there will be some extraordinary bargains we won't see again. So if you can get a player for 50% of what they would normally get, then take as many of those deals as you can.

We aren't into the extreme deals of FA period yet and our biggest needs are taken care of. I don't think we really have the room to make too many more impact signings, so solid pieces are what we are going for. I think those will be available over the next week.

Either way, I think the Chargers come out of this FA period in good shape.
      One thing else - Justin Herbert is a FA in a few years - if you can roll like 8-10m over the next three years, that will help

but i just think Telesco is being patient

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

The unspent money rolls into next year. I'm honestly a little torn about this. Normally, I would prefer the Chargers roll that cap money into next year. I think they will be more competitive in 2022 than 2021 and waiting a year will give us a much better idea of what our needs will be in 2022.

But I think because of the falling cap this year there will be some extraordinary bargains we won't see again. So if you can get a player for 50% of what they would normally get, then take as many of those deals as you can.

We aren't into the extreme deals of FA period yet and our biggest needs are taken care of. I don't think we really have the room to make too many more impact signings, so solid pieces are what we are going for. I think those will be available over the next week.

Either way, I think the Chargers come out of this FA period in good shape.
        It's obviously early yet, but thus far we seemed to have made more holes than we've filled. I love the 2 OL moves & even Davis, but we've lost a TE, 2LBs & 2 DBs, not to mention not retaining Rochell & Ingram. I understand that some of those will be filled in the draft, but do we really want to wait on castoffs to fill them after that?

Comment

• eaterfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

It does not appear Telesco's first two moves won many plaudits with various media outlets and analysts. I'm not sure he spent the money well either. Furthermore, unlike the Patriots, it doesn't feel like Telesco has a real free agency plan beyond the three signings and the return of MW. I suspect Staley would rather have younger players to "coach up" on defense at this point. Given Telesco signed OL in free agency, I think the draft will be mostly defense, with some maybe a mid-round OL or running back. But I don't envision OL at 13. Furthermore, it feels like with the money spent at center, Bulaga, and Feiler (plus likely some lower priced folks), an olineman with a first round contract may not make sense to Telesco. However, a first round contract for a CB or linebacker may make more sense. Lastly, Telesco has to be worried about his success rate with linemen in the draft, and I think therefore he believes he hits better on CB, linebackers, and other holes in the draft then the line. I would love to be proven wrong, but a mostly defense-based draft would not surprise me and it was my first thought when they hired Staley. .
          I'm not sure I could disagree with you more strongly.

I think his plan was to get Linsley (I think a great move) and a mid tier interior offensive lineman in FA, retain Davis, retain Henry (at the right price), wait on FA bargains that help during days 5 through the start of the season that will help the roster (not impact players but solid contributors or depth, guys like what Vigil or to an extent Joseph were last year), and get that offensive tackle in the draft.

That seems like a reasonable plan and he's executed it fairly well so far.

I'm an Angels fan and every year they strike early in FA and sign a big name and then at the end of the offseason the Rays waited to sign a mid level pitcher who didn't get a deal to a small contract and he plays 90% as well as the guy the Angels signed and the guy the Angels signed gets hurt half way through the season and they can't afford the back up depth. TT has filled the biggest needs with good players and is just waiting out the market to get the deals. I'm not worried.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Not sure if you saw the tweet posted here with the two teams that have spent the most in signing bonuses on free agents since 2016 or 2017 are also the two teams with the worst records in that time.

I don't think he is done but I don't expect to see much more either. I still think a LT at 13 is a strong possibility and close to a must.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Maybe the rest of the money will be spent on cheap guys that are good special teamers since you know, we suck in that area also. And I would be perfectly fine with that. I would still prefer one other immediate contributor, but I wouldn’t mind building up the ST again. With that being said, remember when Hayward was picked up?

Comment

• DragonIce
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2021
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                Hope TT aint satisfied with a center and guard.We got more holes by the day.I agree with patience n all but do Somethin.
                No hurry and no worry.

Free agency isn't how you build a roster; just cherry pick a guy or two and fill in acute holes. Draft is when the steak is put on the plate. Anyway: that's my opinion after watching different teams get burned chasing FA.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  Maybe the rest of the money will be spent on cheap guys that are good special teamers since you know, we suck in that area also. And I would be perfectly fine with that. I would still prefer one other immediate contributor, but I wouldn’t mind building up the ST again. With that being said, remember when Hayward was picked up?
                  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...ers-free-agent
                  I think Telesco is just being patient. Maybe players are waiting to respond

Troy Hill is out there -
                  TE options too
                  and of course OL and LB

he has the money - spend it wisely

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Ontario , Canada
                    • Send PM

We still have to replace starters at DE, TE , OG (if Lamp and Feeney walk) and we need a starting LT. So 4 positions. IMO 2 can be filled in the draft so TT still has to add 2 bodies. They have $18M left per Popper's math apparently.

The additions have been great so far. I feel if TT can add 2 or even 3 more players we will be in great shape going into the draft.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Perryman. It's hard to be a leader on the field from the training room.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

so wait i thought they released Gabe and Rodney Hudson?

now all of sudden they're trading them

Last edited by MagicMamba88; 03-17-2021, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post

so wait i thought they released Gabe and Rodney Hudson?

now all of sudden they're trading them
                          smart to get something for them
                          a 3rd for Hudson
                          and a 5th for Jackson
                          decent trades for dumping players

Comment

Working...
                          X