• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    I'd be pleased if the Bolts drafted Little at 13. He has all the skills needed to play LT and that's exactly what we need.
    Of course, I'd sooner have Sewell fall to us.
    Agree. I’d be happy too. Saw his legs on some of his recent workouts and they were massive. No wonder he can anchor in pass-pro.

Comment

• bman6555
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Longrobbdiego View Post
      Whats the reason most of y'all seem to be passing on Darrisaw? Is it just the taking off plays kind of disappearing at times thing, or was there something more that I missed?
      I think this is mostly it, I don't think effort should need to be coached up. I'd rather have a player willing to work hard and put in the effort than someone who is lazy. Particularly where low effort at LT can lead to injuries for Herbert.

Also for those wanting Walker Little I'd be fine with that, just not at #13 unless he ends up moving up a ton of draft boards. We can slide down and still get him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Agree. I’d be happy too. Saw his legs on some of his recent workouts and they were massive. No wonder he can anchor in pass-pro.
        And thats what the Chargers need - pass protection. I go back to the CAstonzo comp. How does he compare to him. Castonzo was 10 years as a LT for the Colts - good player. If Walker Little is like that - sign me up today. Pick him at 13 and who cares what the pundits or mel kiper says about reach and all that. If the pick works, nobody will remember. I am not sure he makes it to 47 so it becomes tricky. I think at worst, if the Chargers can slide to the BEars spot just ahead of the Colts - that works for me to get Little.

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And thats what the Chargers need - pass protection. I go back to the CAstonzo comp. How does he compare to him. Castonzo was 10 years as a LT for the Colts - good player. If Walker Little is like that - sign me up today. Pick him at 13 and who cares what the pundits or mel kiper says about reach and all that. If the pick works, nobody will remember. I am not sure he makes it to 47 so it becomes tricky. I think at worst, if the Chargers can slide to the BEars spot just ahead of the Colts - that works for me to get Little.
          Hopefully this will be similar to the JH pick so we can watch another pundits cold takes a year from now :thumbsup:

Comment

• DragonIce
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2021
            • Arizona
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
            without looking it up, probably similar to Melvin's production at a fraction of the cost:whistlin:
            Ingram has been a considerably stronger player than Fackrell...however...Ingram has been in gentle decline the past few seasons. Given likely age trajectory, the two players might possibly be comparable over the next few years. I wouldn't bet on that, but maybe.

Comment

• DragonIce
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2021
              • Arizona
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
              For the record, Darrisaw is my OT3 behind Sewell and Slater.

He’ll be a better pro than college player...(dare I say it?)...just like Herbert.
              Hmmm... Can't say I see that. At all. Low-motor guys scare me more than ones with injury history. And reports seem to strongly suggest Darrisaw is low-motor.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

Hmmm... Can't say I see that. At all. Low-motor guys scare me more than ones with injury history. And reports seem to strongly suggest Darrisaw is low-motor.
                Correct. No low motor guys and nobody that doesn't really have the capacity to be a LT in the NFL. That might rule out AVT as well - though if you want a rock solid OG - AVT probably fits the bill.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Popper's remaining FA targets. ST players are near the bottom.

The initial wave of NFL free agency is over, and now the Chargers, after a couple of splash signings, should turn their focus to finding value and fleshing out depth.

They took their first step toward that Wednesday when they agreed to terms with outside linebacker Kyler Fackrell, who spent last season with the Giants. Fackrell, a former Packers third-round pick in 2016, has 20.5 sacks in five seasons. He had 10.5 sacks with Green Bay in 2018. He is also an experienced special teams player, with more than 1,000 career snaps.

The Chargers still have five primary needs:

1. Starting left tackle

2. Boundary cornerback

3. Third safety

4. Interior defensive line

5. Special teams coverage

Here are 21 free agents the Chargers could target to fill those positions.

LT Eric Fisher
                  Fisher, a former No. 1 overall pick, is coming off his second Pro Bowl nod in three seasons. The Chiefs cut him in March. He turned 30 in January. Fisher is a proven NFL left tackle, but he tore his Achilles in the AFC Championship Game against the Bills two months ago. So acquiring him as a starter is risky. But if the Chargers can sign Fisher to a team-friendly one-year deal, that would both address their most glaring need and give them more flexibility in the first round at 13 overall. They could pass on a tackle at that spot and take a corner, for example. Then they could look to address tackle in the second round by selecting a more developmental piece like Cincinnati’s James Hudson or Stanford’s Walker Little.

LT Alejandro Villanueva
                  Villanueva was a mainstay on the Steelers’ offensive line for the last six seasons. He started every game at left tackle for Pittsburgh from 2016-20, earning Pro Bowl honors in 2017 and 2018. He has a connection to the Chargers’ staff; Shaun Sarrett, the Chargers’ new assistant offensive line coach, was with the Steelers from 2012-20, including the last two seasons as their offensive line coach, working closely with Villanueva. Former Steelers guard and right tackle Matt Feiler, who signed with the Chargers last week, specifically mentioned Sarrett as one of the reasons he came to L.A. Villanueva turns 33 in September.

OT Bobby Massie
                  The Bears declined Massie’s team option earlier this month. He has played exclusively right tackle in his career, so he is not a direct fit on the left side. But if the Chargers are looking to pair a veteran with a rookie left tackle, they could consider Massie, who turns 32 in August.

OT Rick Wagner
                  Wagner, who turns 32 in October, is coming off a bounce-back season as the Packers’ starting right tackle. He predominantly has been a right tackle in his career, but unlike Massie, Wagner has shifted to left tackle for brief spurts. The Chargers are thin at tackle and must add depth at the very least. Wagner would be a valuable addition even as a swing tackle.

CB Steven Nelson
                  After cutting Casey Hayward earlier this month, the Chargers need to add a boundary corner to play outside in nickel and dime packages. Michael Davis and Chris Harris will be the corners in base defense. But in nickel and dime, which the Chargers will play more than 70 percent of the time under Brandon Staley, Harris will move to the slot, leaving an outside spot open. The Steelers cut Nelson on Tuesday. The Chargers are more likely to look for a corner in the draft. But if they do fill this hole with a free agent, Nelson is one of the only starting-caliber boundary corners still available. He turned 28 in January.

CB Gareon Conley
                  Conley is a former Raiders first-round pick who has yet to find his footing in the NFL. The Raiders dealt him to the Texans for a third-round pick in 2019. He missed all of last season with an injury. According to the Houston Chronicle, he was dealing with complications from offseason ankle surgery. Because of that, Conley would be a flier signing. The Chargers could not rely on him exclusively as their third cornerback. They would need to bring in a draft pick, as well. But he is only 25.

S Kenny Vaccaro
                  The Chargers only have three safeties on their roster right now: Derwin James, Nasir Adderley and Alohi Gilman. Staley likes to deploy three-safety packages, so they need more depth at that position. Vaccaro has been more of a physical, in-the-box strong safety in his career. The Titans released him in March, so he would not count against the comp pick formula. Vaccaro turned 30 in February.

S Tre Boston
                  Boston was the Chargers’ starting free safety in 2017, so the organization is familiar with him. They let him walk after only one season, though. Boston is a true free safety, so he would provide insurance behind Adderley, who was inconsistent in his first significant NFL playing time in 2020. Boston turns 29 in June.

S Duron Harmon
                  Harmon played well in 16 starts as the Lions’ free safety last season. He has 19 career interceptions and turned 30 in January. Harmon spent his first seven NFL seasons with the Patriots.

S Xavier Woods
                  The Cowboys drafted Woods in the sixth round in 2017. He started 44 games at free safety from 2018-20. The Chargers generally like to target younger players in free agency when they can, and Woods is only 25. They need a free safety more than a strong safety, as Gilman plays strong. Woods fits that centerfield mold.

S Malik Hooker
                  Malik Hooker is a former first-rounder who is coming off an Achilles injury. (Douglas DeFelice / USA Today)S Malik Hooker
                  Hooker, like Woods, is a young player. He does not turn 25 until next month. And he was a Colts first-round pick in 2017. But he is coming off a torn Achilles and might not be worth the risk for the Chargers. Third safeties are not difficult to find. Left tackles are, which is why I would be more willing to take a chance on Fisher. The Chargers could target a safety in the draft and avoid the uncertainty of a player coming off a significant injury.

S Damontae Kazee
                  Kazee, who turns 28 in June, led the league in interceptions in 2018. He can play both safety spots and nickel corner. That versatility is enticing. But Kazee, like Hooker, tore his Achilles in 2020.

DL Jurrell Casey
                  I think the Chargers will add to their defensive line depth in the draft. But Casey is not far removed from being one of the more dominant interior defensive linemen in football. He was a Pro Bowler in 2019 with the Titans. Casey is coming off a torn biceps that forced him to miss most of 2020 with the Broncos. Denver released him in February, so he would not count against the comp pick formula. Casey is 31. This would make sense only if the Chargers can sign Casey to a one-year value contract.

DL Geno Atkins
                  Atkins was one of the best defensive players in football for a decade. He is a three-time first-team All-Pro and eight-time Pro Bowler. At 32, Atkins is still a really good player. He would be a fun piece for Staley to work with. But he should have a sizable market. The Chargers do not need a defensive lineman badly enough to pay Atkins big money, even for a season.

ILB Todd Davis
                  Welcome to the special teams portion of the program. Davis played for the Broncos in 2019 under Vic Fangio when Staley was the outside linebackers coach there. He is familiar with the scheme Staley will run in L.A. And he has played more than 700 special teams snaps in his career.

ILB Joseph Jones
                  Jones had a two-day stint on the Chargers practice squad in 2017. He spent the last four seasons in Denver, including the last two with Fangio. He also crossed paths with Staley in 2019. He played 357 special teams snaps in 2020.

ILB Jordan Evans
                  Evans, whom the Bengals selected in the sixth round in 2017, will not provide much as a linebacker. But he is athletic and only 26. Most importantly, he has topped 300 special teams snaps in each of the past two seasons in Cincinnati.

CB Ryan Smith
                  Chargers GM Tom Telesco specifically mentioned gunner as a special teams position he needed to upgrade this offseason. Smith has made a career out of playing that spot. He has spent all five of his NFL seasons with the Bucs, winning the Super Bowl in 2020.

CB Antonio Hamilton
                  Hamilton was a gunner for the Chiefs last season. He has played more than 1,000 special teams snaps in his career. He spent two seasons with the Raiders and two seasons with the Giants before landing in Kansas City. He played 330 special teams snaps last season.

S Matthias Farley
                  Farley was a core special-teamer for the Jets the last two seasons. He had eight special teams tackles in 2020. He has played nearly 1,200 special teams snaps in his career.

S Sherrick McManis
                  McManis, 33, has been a dependable Bears special teams player for almost a decade. He crossed paths with new Chargers special teams coordinator Derius Swinton twice in Chicago. Swinton was the Bears assistant special teams coordinator in 2015 and 2017. McManis is older, but the Chargers are desperate for special teams experience. If the Bears do not re-sign McManis, the Chargers should pounce.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    Popper's remaining FA targets. ST players are near the bottom.

No matter who they sign, even Steven Nelson who is 28 - the Chargers need to go OT and CB early in this draft. Xavier Woods is interesting at FS; we know about Tre Boston. Gareon might be a low risk move but you know he has not been good so it truly is a risk.

Good options at OT - though I still like Kelly over those guys unless Fisher checks out

The Special Teams - anybody is better than last year

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

No matter who they sign, even Steven Nelson who is 28 - the Chargers need to go OT and CB early in this draft. Xavier Woods is interesting at FS; we know about Tre Boston. Gareon might be a low risk move but you know he has not been good so it truly is a risk.

Good options at OT - though I still like Kelly over those guys unless Fisher checks out

The Special Teams - anybody is better than last year
                      Getting the CB and LT in FA just gives them more flexibility in the draft. It doesn’t force them to go PON instead of BPA. But yeah, I think at this point it’s all depth and ST players.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Getting the CB and LT in FA just gives them more flexibility in the draft. It doesn’t force them to go PON instead of BPA. But yeah, I think at this point it’s all depth and ST players.
                        Like you said, all just depth at this point. I just view the CB and LT as just a bridge in case the drafted player is not ready or like you said, if the board doesn't go the way Telesco wants. But I would think the Chargers can get OT and CB in Rounds 1 and 2 or a CB in R3. I trully prefer OT in Round 1 -- its such a damn need.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Longrobbdiego View Post
                          Whats the reason most of y'all seem to be passing on Darrisaw? Is it just the taking off plays kind of disappearing at times thing, or was there something more that I missed?
                          CD is a monster talent. Uber athletic, excellent footwork/COD agility, uprooting power, technically proficient with great fundamentals, solid football IQ, ideal size/length, wide deep base/anchor but his on-field work ethic is a huge concern.
                          Is that aspect of his game coachable? That is the only real question. Other than that he is a top 15 prospect.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X