• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Used to love when the opponent would have a 3rd and long from say the 38 to 45 and Gus would play the defense 12 to 15 yards off the line - the other coach would do a little screen pass, get in FG range and get points. He did this against the Chiefs and for sure against Buffalo, down 7 which allowed the Bills to get a FG to make it 10 Big whoopity do Gus - they didn't get a first down but they got in FG range!!
    This is what Gus calls... limiting the “explosive plays” :rofl:

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Gus is one of those DC who want to keep things simple, and then let the players he has play fast because things are simple. That strategy has amassed a lot of championships over the years.

There is not much chance our secondary would have been any better last year using another strategy. If you take hopeless coverage guys, put them in more complicated coverages they simply make bigger mistakes. And we have never developed the essential part of the Legion of Boom model of secondary, which is the that the complimentary coverage to cover3/cover 6 is to play single high man to man, which we never had the personnel to play. Our LB, S and most of our CB were simply dreadful in man coverage.

The problem last year was we couldn't develop depth. We kept running players out of town because we wanted to upgrade the positions, and then the players we had to upgrade weren't an upgrade. That is not to give Gus a pass, because he is the guy responsible for developing people, but the same thing will happen to Staley if he doesn't pull off better player development. In fact, every coach needs to do a better job of player development than the Chargers have seen. It is why we are not a top notch franchise. it is the essential element to being a good team.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Along with better player acquisition alas the chicken salad outta chicken shit dilemma.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Ontario , Canada
          • Send PM

My gut tells me we would have signed a LT FA by now if that were the plan. I think they plan to use the #1 on a LT and that will be our OL for this year.

Or they will use the #1 on another position and then sign Villanueva.

Overall the OL will be better. Could they have done more, probably, but like every year their strategy is to dabble more than splurge. What they need to do if they want to win the AFCW is try harder to keep the strength of the roster on par w the Chiefs or else , like the last few years , we will be watching the playoffs again

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I think CDN Bolt is right. With a few, low priced exceptions, NFL teams are going to hold off on signing too many more FA prior to the draft.

Once the draft is over, teams will start to fill the holes with the FA that are left.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
              My gut tells me we would have signed a LT FA by now if that were the plan. I think they plan to use the #1 on a LT and that will be our OL for this year.

Or they will use the #1 on another position and then sign Villanueva.

Overall the OL will be better. Could they have done more, probably, but like every year their strategy is to dabble more than splurge. What they need to do if they want to win the AFCW is try harder to keep the strength of the roster on par w the Chiefs or else , like the last few years , we will be watching the playoffs again
              Very true. The one variant contingency is Eric Fisher’s recovery. If he comes back healthy, he’s still got a few years of elite-level LT in the tank.

It might not be known if he plays this fall until mid-summer. If we end up with a 2nd rounder at LT, we should keep very close tabs on his rehab status.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Very true. The one variant contingency is Eric Fisher’s recovery. If he comes back healthy, he’s still got a few years of elite-level LT in the tank.

It might not be known if he plays this fall until mid-summer. If we end up with a 2nd rounder at LT, we should keep very close tabs on his rehab status.
                definitely worth at least expressing our interest as im sure half the league would do but
                I think KC would still be in the driver’s seat unless he cutting came with a fallout
                If EF can still play, he likely has an open invitation to the defending AFC champions
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Give him an exam the week of the draft - see how it goes. Have him on speed dial if he is recovery nicely and if the OT is picked in say R2 - might be wise to call Eric Fisher. Hell even Round 1 OT if Fisher is on track

I remember one draft they signed Donnie Edwards during the draft.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Give him an exam the week of the draft - see how it goes. Have him on speed dial if he is recovery nicely and if the OT is picked in say R2 - might be wise to call Eric Fisher. Hell even Round 1 OT if Fisher is on track

I remember one draft they signed Donnie Edwards during the draft.
                      The Eric Fisher contingency plan:
                      If medical prognosis = good
                      OT in R1—no contract
                      OT in R2—1 year deal
                      OT in R3—2 year deal

Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Forrest Lamp is looking like the forgotten man. Too many non productive years in his background.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X