• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Regarding the dropped passes - I wonder if gloves would help that? I also wonder if it's because of the strong arm of Herbert? Maybe the ball just gets on them too fast?
    Would think it has something to do with it but we didn't seem to have this problem last season and he was zipping it then. Problem is when he zips it but isn't completely accurate.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Would think it has something to do with it but we didn't seem to have this problem last season and he was zipping it then. Problem is when he zips it but isn't completely accurate.
      22 drops is a lot. But I go back to the Patriots game for one
      Mike Williams dropped a key third down - who knows, might have been points
      Ekeler had one bounce off his hands that cost the Chargers points possibly but gave the Patriots 3

Allen dropped a first down inside the 25 - Hopkins made the FG but instead of possibly 7 - they got three

And in these games, the Chargers margins are so small - one drop here to stop a drive, one drop there... huge plays.

(I cannot recall if any key drops against the Vikings- but third down defense was HORRIBLE that game)

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

These guys are professionals. Catch the damn ball! How many ints are deflected off of guys hands who are just to damn lazy to hold on the ball. The drops this year have been the biggest killer for the offense this year by far. Dropped passes are a sign of players who are just not focused and do not care.

Start fining these assholes 25k a drop and we can see them finally getting their head in the game.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

These guys are professionals. Catch the damn ball! How many ints are deflected off of guys hands who are just to damn lazy to hold on the ball. The drops this year have been the biggest killer for the offense this year by far. Dropped passes are a sign of players who are just not focused and do not care.

Start fining these assholes 25k a drop and we can see them finally getting their head in the game.
          They aren't allowed to fine players like that anymore - NFLPA
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

There are always ways to get around it in business. Just have to be creative, take it out of any bonuses they get.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Regarding the dropped passes - I wonder if gloves would help that? I also wonder if it's because of the strong arm of Herbert? Maybe the ball just gets on them too fast?
              You practice like you play. This isn't said enough.

If the drops are in games-only, it's fair to ask the skill players where their heads are at. To come into the game and drop balls is a trademark of Chargers depth this season.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

For each dropped ball in the Denver game, that's one lap around Costa Mesa, after practice, jogging, wearing a Bronco jersey.

They need to be reminded that a dropped pass makes them a 12th defender for opposing defenses.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

If this hasn't already been linked, I agree with this writer. And I think this is the best we can reasonably hope for given the team's up-and-down performances:

Standing at 6-5, we predict the Chargers' final six games of the season to see if they can find themselves in the playoffs.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    If this hasn't already been linked, I agree with this writer. And I think this is the best we can reasonably hope for given the team's up-and-down performances:

Standing at 6-5, we predict the Chargers' final six games of the season to see if they can find themselves in the playoffs.

10-7 can get you into the postseason especially if you beat the Broncos and Raiders again. We won’t make it far though unless a miracle happens.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Here’s a good summary of the problem:

That’s where the Los Angeles Chargersrank in offensive success rate. Yet they’re second in EPA per drive. So what does that mean?

It suggests that the Chargers are coming through in high-leverage situations and that their performance might not be sustainable. The Chargers rank 16th in EPA per snap on first and second downs. They are first in EPA per snap on third and fourth downs. If it feels like Justin Herbertis consistently bailing them out of tough situations, well, the numbers kind of back that up.

Nate Tice did an outstanding job of outlining the Chargers’ issues in this week’s episode of The Athletic Football Show.

The Chargers have had offensive line issues, and they’ve been unable to figure out ways to push the ball to the deep and intermediate parts of the field because of those issues. Herbert’s average pass this season has traveled 7.1 yards past the line of scrimmage. That ranks 33rd out of 39 starters. Just 8.5 percent of his passes have traveled at least 20 yards past the line of scrimmage. That ranks 30th out of 34 qualifying quarterbacks. Just 28.1 percent of his attempts have traveled at least 10 yards past the line of scrimmage; that also ranks 30th.

Sunday’s loss against the Denver Broncoswas the Chargers’ second-worst offensive performance of the season, behind only their Week 6 loss to the Ravens.

Defensively, the Chargers have been a disaster any way you slice it. They rank 29th in EPA per drive, 32nd in success rate, and 29th in points allowed per game.

The Athletic’s Daniel Popper has an excellent rundown of the Chargers’ issues. Their offensive line is banged up, and they lack depth across the roster. But still, it’s not like they were facing a juggernaut in the Denver Broncos.

It just feels like the Chargers should have a better sense of how to maximize their personnel by this point in the season. Instead, they’re 6-5 and one of the NFL’s most inconsistent teams.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

More short throws should fix the problem.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Does anyone know if Herbert's average pass (in yards past the line of scrimmage) has changed over the season, with the influx of 3rd rate offensive lineman into the rotation?

I suspect not by much.

Comment

Working...
                          X