• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

ST update: we’re trending in the right direction

13. The Chargers’ special teams have been improving steadily since the bye week, and the performance is starting to show up in the numbers. They rank 29th in special-teams EPA this season. But since the bye in Week 7, they rank 24th. Since Week 11, they rank 16th. And over the past three games, despite a garbage-time blocked punt in the Giants game, the Chargers rank fifth in special-teams EPA. The coverage units are much more consistent when called upon. Roberts has given them an enormous boost, as he showed on his 75-yard kickoff return to open the game. Dustin Hopkins has missed only one field goal on 13 attempts since signing with the Chargers during the bye week. The Chargers’ special teams are no longer a glaring liability, and that is a noteworthy development as the team enters this playoff push.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
      Day One...
      • Mar 2019
      • Brentwood, 94513
      • Send PM

Gelling as a team, later into the season. Sweet! This is when we should begin to play our best ball. Let this Houston game be a glorified practice. So that we can rest some ppl and get other valuable playing time.

Any word on our RT who was last seen week 1?

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        It took a little more than a half a season to cleanse the stench of George Stewart from the ST. Amazing what good coaching can do...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Positive metrics - thanks for posting.

Such a huge area of improvement over the course of the year. That Patriots game - so many yards lost because of field position. Almost become an asset from a total liability

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

It’s kind of amazing TT has managed to go 9 seasons basically under the radar of scrutiny. 9 seasons, zero division titles … still unremarked upon beyond the darkened back alleys of TPB. I’d say having a dispossessed fan base more focused on tailgate prohibitions and traffic patterns has helped him immensely but he needs to go. He is not a championship builder. 9 years, is 9 is what it is there.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              It’s kind of amazing TT has managed to go 9 seasons basically under the radar of scrutiny. 9 seasons, zero division titles … still unremarked upon beyond the darkened back alleys of TPB. I’d say having a dispossessed fan base more focused on tailgate prohibitions and traffic patterns has helped him immensely but he needs to go. He is not a championship builder. 9 years, is 9 is what it is there.

Telesco will keep his job as I think the team makes the playoffs or they will get to 9 wins and the Spanii will say "on the right track" - but hell no, I don't trust Telesco (with John Boy) to use the cap space and draft picks wisely. Not at all.

The Chargers can create a difference making offseason with their cap space (I look at two teams, the Broncos did it with Ware, Talib and Ward) and the patriots this year. But will Deano allow Tommy the cash to really be players for ELITE talent (yes, a WR with the number 17 to replace 81) or a player in their mid 20's on a second contract and will TElesco make the right choices.

Comment

• dcblanton
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Telesco will keep his job as I think the team makes the playoffs or they will get to 9 wins and the Spanii will say "on the right track" - but hell no, I don't trust Telesco (with John Boy) to use the cap space and draft picks wisely. Not at all.

The Chargers can create a difference making offseason with their cap space (I look at two teams, the Broncos did it with Ware, Talib and Ward) and the patriots this year. But will Deano allow Tommy the cash to really be players for ELITE talent (yes, a WR with the number 17 to replace 81) or a player in their mid 20's on a second contract and will TElesco make the right choices.
                Outsider here, but I feel like Telesco has done a good job overall with the Chargers. It seems like every year they have been picked to win the division for the last 10 years and they often have a ton of injuries.

Many doubted Herbert, the same as many doubted Mahomes. Brett Veach was certain about Mahomes and Telesco delivered Herbert.

Every GM makes mistakes, whether that be poor FA signings, poor draft picks, or poor extensions. And, since we follow our teams closely, they seem to be more often than other teams. That is just perception.

Staley was a great hire. Herbert was a great pick. First year of a new regime. I would give it time.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dcblanton View Post

Outsider here, but I feel like Telesco has done a good job overall with the Chargers. It seems like every year they have been picked to win the division for the last 10 years and they often have a ton of injuries.

Many doubted Herbert, the same as many doubted Mahomes. Brett Veach was certain about Mahomes and Telesco delivered Herbert.

Every GM makes mistakes, whether that be poor FA signings, poor draft picks, or poor extensions. And, since we follow our teams closely, they seem to be more often than other teams. That is just perception.

Staley was a great hire. Herbert was a great pick. First year of a new regime. I would give it time.
                  Welcome to the Powder Blues.

You joined us, so you are not an outsider.

Love the post but be warned - common sense often gets criticized in here.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dcblanton View Post

Big difference - the Chiefs went to get Mahomes; the Chargers had Herbert fall in their lap. And if the Fish had picked Herbert, Telesco would have picked Tua.

Second, I base my review of Telesco on the overall record of the teams he is GM for - its like .475 or something. Its just not good. But he will have another year or two

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Tua on his way to changing his narrative btw
                      Herbert just eclipses a giant shadow on Burrow and Tua no matter how well they play
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Here’s our playoff breakdown as the 6th seed.

Brandon Staley has caught heat for his fourth-down aggressiveness, which might have cost the Chargers a win against the Chiefs on Thursday. But as The Athletic’s Daniel Popper writes, that same aggressive philosophy contributed to multiple wins this season, putting the Chargers in position to make the playoffs in Staley’s first season as head coach. The Chargers are unlikely to win the AFC West after that loss to the Chiefs, but they have one of the NFL’s easiest remaining schedules. All of their remaining games are against AFC teams, giving them a chance to bolster their 5-4 conference record.

Remaining schedule: at HOU, vs. DEN, at LV

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Here’s our playoff breakdown as the 6th seed.

I just looked at all the teams schedules and really - well the Chargers need to beat Houston and Denver for sure
                          Ravens play Bengals, Rams and Steelers - so that could be 1-2
                          Steelers play Chiefs, Bengals and Ravens - so that might be 1-2
                          Colts play Cardinals, Raiders and Jags so thats probably 2-1 but they have a very good AFC record so do not want to tie them for 7th
                          Raiders and Broncos - both 7-7 will take care of themselves
                          Bills: Patriots, Falcons and Jets - but there AFC record is not good so they need to beat the Patriots
                          Bengals: Ravens Chiefs and Browns

So if the Chargers just take care of business these next two weeks - looking solid

Comment

Working...
                          X