• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Not sure that’s stirring anything, Palmer’s playing style seems to better fit what Staley/Lombardi want to do. Except they keep playing Guyton more. Not sure what’s up with that.
    Guyton has the experience but also is the main speed guy on the team. Probably why he’s getting more snaps currently though the numbers are dwindling as Palmer takes more reps.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      Black Friday sale for The Athletic if anyone’s interested. It should be $1 a month deal for 12 months. I enjoy Popper but there’s other great writers on there too. Dane Brugler is a great draft guy.

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro12monthly/
      The Athletic keeps lowering their price; it won't surprise me if their content is free soon and they go the advertising route, or disappear altogether. I don't think their subscription model is sustainable. There is just too much free sports punditry content available, and if an Athletic writer has something particularly poignant or insightful to say, their content is posted in fan forums for everybody to read for free.
      Last edited by Velo; 11-23-2021, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        if an Athletic writer has something particularly poignant or insightful to say, their content is posted in fan forums for everybody to read for free.

Which is part of the problem for The Athletic. It's the only subscription I pay for now. It has the best writers for every team that I follow.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

The Chargers are currently 11th in points scored per game, averaging 26. The Bradyneers are 1st at 30.9. However, in their past three games the Chargers are averaging 29.3 pts per game, which is 5th. Indianapolis leads in that category with 36.3, Tampa is 9th at 25.3.

The Chargers average 29.5 pts at Sofi opposed to 20.8 on the road. Last season the Chargers averaged 24 pts per game.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Which is part of the problem for The Athletic. It's the only subscription I pay for now. It has the best writers for every team that I follow.
            Me too. It’s an excellent publication and well worth the money if you enjoy top content
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Shefter thinks for Sunday NIght Football on December 5 - the current game, SF v Seattle will be flexed to either

Chargers at Bengals

Broncos v Chiefs

Too bad they cannot flex out next Monday - WFT v Seattle

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Athletic keeps lowering their price; it won't surprise me if their content is free soon and they go the advertising route, or disappear altogether. I don't think their subscription model is sustainable. There is just too much free sports punditry content available, and if an Athletic writer has something particularly poignant or insightful to say, their content is posted in fan forums for everybody to read for free.
                It’s interesting you say that since free publication like SI have started to switch to a pay model.

Edit: it seems most of the deals happens strategically at certain times of the year ie. July 4th and now Black Friday. So hopefully it isn’t them tanking. It’s been getting better each and every year that I’ve had it.
                Last edited by Xenos; 11-23-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Guyton has the experience but also is the main speed guy on the team. Probably why he’s getting more snaps currently though the numbers are dwindling as Palmer takes more reps.
                  Not sure that speed adds anything, I doubt he ever gets double coverage going deep, I wouldn’t waste the extra guy. Hoping to see more Palmer these last couple months.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Not sure that speed adds anything, I doubt he ever gets double coverage going deep, I wouldn’t waste the extra guy. Hoping to see more Palmer these last couple months.
                    I think you are seeing that with Palmer getting more and more snaps.

Guyton is never going to get doubled anywhere on the field (not unless they are dropping extra defenders and doubling everyone). But it does help to expand the zones, and give other receivers bigger holes between the zones, and get the DB to turn their back on the QB in man.

But at some point, you have to add some production. Guyton seemed to be on the verge of developing last year and flashed some ability. This year, he hasn't done much. Some of that is to do with the OL problems. You can't throw down the field if the QB cannot be protected. That neutralizes Guyton's best (only) asset.

Palmer is showing that he is developing quickly and is an athletic guy. He lacks the speed, but he is at least flashing the ability to run after the catch. He was chipping on one play, then Herbert started to scramble and got the ball to Palmer, who got some decent YAC. Palmer is developing some short routes to go along with his medium routes. But in the end, if they don't run good routes and can make catches, neither is going to be a help to the offense.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

It’s all about who has the better hands. Clearly that’s Palmer. These drops have to be addressed and taken seriously, you too Cook :stirringshit:

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                        Shefter thinks for Sunday NIght Football on December 5 - the current game, SF v Seattle will be flexed to either

Chargers at Bengals

Broncos v Chiefs

Too bad they cannot flex out next Monday - WFT v Seattle
                        Yeah, this is what I thought too. SF is coming on a bit, but Seattle is dreadful and it's not a very compelling game. The Chargers-Bengals will be a conference battle between two teams in the playoff hunt. I don't see them flexing in the Broncos at Chiefs, which is likely to be a one-sided game. Plus Herbert is a prime time star now and I think NBC will be looking for a repeat of last Sunday night's game. It would work in the Chargers' favor, avoiding having to play a 10 a.m. game at the site of the Freezer Bowl.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Not sure that’s stirring anything, Palmer’s playing style seems to better fit what Staley/Lombardi want to do. Except they keep playing Guyton more. Not sure what’s up with that.
                          Chaincrusher is about to submit volumes of material, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that i am wrong.
                          Get on your reading glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          X