• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

So shouldn't we be rooting for the Colts to win their division?
    since we don't win a tie breaker against the them?
    Thats a good point but I am giving playoff berths to both the Titans and Colts at this point. Titans play the Niners, Dolphins and Texans. Maybe they lose to the Niners and Dolphins. But they own the tiebreaker over the Colts.

I think this week end a lot will shake out. Chargers first and foremost, need to win and see the rest of the standings. The good thing is - Chargers really do not need anybody to lose. They win out, they are in.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      ST update: we’re trending in the right direction

So punts in garbage time are treated with less respect than punts in regular time? it's ok to block "garbage time" punts?
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

So punts in garbage time are treated with less respect than punts in regular time? it's ok to block "garbage time" punts?
        It’s more okay if it doesn’t affect the outcome of the game. It’s like being upset at the defense for giving up a garbage TD like that one poster did in the Giants thread.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I guess people don't have time to know about GMs of other teams and to know how they do with their organization.
          This is correct and why they don't know that Telesco isn't any worse then most GMs. The only X factor we don't know about is how much interference he gets from JohnBoy or other Spanos making decisions when it comes to scouting and player personnel.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Just win. Every game.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Just win. Every game.
              Seven straight wins.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dcblanton View Post

Outsider here, but I feel like Telesco has done a good job overall with the Chargers. It seems like every year they have been picked to win the division for the last 10 years and they often have a ton of injuries.

Many doubted Herbert, the same as many doubted Mahomes. Brett Veach was certain about Mahomes and Telesco delivered Herbert.

Every GM makes mistakes, whether that be poor FA signings, poor draft picks, or poor extensions. And, since we follow our teams closely, they seem to be more often than other teams. That is just perception.

Staley was a great hire. Herbert was a great pick. First year of a new regime. I would give it time.
                What are you smoking, you need to share with us? LAC weren’t picked by anyone to win the division this year. Or last. Or year before that. Or before that? I don’t think they were picked to win the division once in the last decade, much less every year.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This is correct and why they don't know that Telesco isn't any worse then most GMs. The only X factor we don't know about is how much interference he gets from JohnBoy or other Spanos making decisions when it comes to scouting and player personnel.
                  I don’t think we said he is worse than MOST GMs. Your flaw is in your objective - the objective is not to equal most GMs. Thats the definition of mediocrity and that is exactly what TT has done - barely good enough to not be a bottom of league failure but empirically not good enough to build a championship roster. 9 years is not quite enough time - you like the roster he’s building now and just needs some more time? Lol … ok. What are we talking - 15 years? 20? I think he has gotten better over the years but 9 is a big number.

Everyone blames John-boy as if anyone here knows JB is actually doing a thing. JS is overriding TT and rejecting all of his picks, making his own. scrubbing the FA lists and waiver wire and working on deals with available players while rejecting any proposals by TT. calling other teams and discussing trades despite TT pleading NO!

If true, which I don’t believe, then you believe TT is so weak and unpersuasive that he can’t even sell John Jr on his picks or FA targets. Just a different definition of failing.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

As you know, Baby Spanos used to be head of scouting which is why many of us still think he exerts too much influence on picks.

If you examine track records, Baby Spanos didn’t earn any positions he’s held based on merit.

Over the past two decades, the more the Spanii inserted themselves into running the organization the more the team failed.

Perhaps that will change with Staley and he can influence personnel decisions beyond his HC responsibilities.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                      As you know, Baby Spanos used to be head of scouting which is why many of us still think he exerts too much influence on picks.

If you examine track records, Baby Spanos didn’t earn any positions he’s held based on merit.

Over the past two decades, the more the Spanii inserted themselves into running the organization the more the team failed.

Perhaps that will change with Staley and he can influence personnel decisions beyond his HC responsibilities.
                      I have said that the biggest obstacle for success for Staley will be Deano, John Boy and Telesco

Deano - because will he give him the funds necessary, maybe push the cap, not this year , but next year to make sure they maximize Herberts three more years on his rookie deal

Telesco - will he put together a good roster

But like you said, maybe Staley knows the game better than McCoy and Lynn, knows the players for his fit and scheme and can be a better partner for Telesco. The Chargers have so much cap space, decent draft capital, a good class to build off in 2021 (Slater, Samuel, Palmer, McKittym Rumpf, even Niemann as a Special Teamer, Webb - all look like the can contribute the next few years) --

So this offseason can make or break TElesco. If he nails it, the team is gold for a few years. If he misses, all that cap space will be wasted

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t think we said he is worse than MOST GMs. Your flaw is in your objective - the objective is not to equal most GMs. Thats the definition of mediocrity and that is exactly what TT has done - barely good enough to not be a bottom of league failure but empirically not good enough to build a championship roster. 9 years is not quite enough time - you like the roster he’s building now and just needs some more time? Lol … ok. What are we talking - 15 years? 20? I think he has gotten better over the years but 9 is a big number.

Everyone blames John-boy as if anyone here knows JB is actually doing a thing. JS is overriding TT and rejecting all of his picks, making his own. scrubbing the FA lists and waiver wire and working on deals with available players while rejecting any proposals by TT. calling other teams and discussing trades despite TT pleading NO!

If true, which I don’t believe, then you believe TT is so weak and unpersuasive that he can’t even sell John Jr on his picks or FA targets. Just a different definition of failing.
                        Maybe you havent. But its been implied and some have said TT flat stinks and i always bring up the fact that every GM misses on picks and have actually laid out the Ravens draft the past 10 years of drafts to show it and they are usually pretty good at drafting. They havent been much, if better at all.

IMO TT has been weak in making trades at the deadline aquiring players for little giving up a late pick like others do. I dont think its needed every year but when we are in the mix like this year. He has been weak in acumulating extra picks til this year with comp picks though they are all late rounders.

His drafting has been at least on par with others imo. Better than some, worse than others....and sure his weak spot has been the OL but he did hit on Slater for a change.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe you havent. But its been implied and some have said TT flat stinks and i always bring up the fact that every GM misses on picks and have actually laid out the Ravens draft the past 10 years of drafts to show it and they are usually pretty good at drafting. They havent been much, if better at all.

IMO TT has been weak in making trades at the deadline aquiring players for little giving up a late pick like others do. I dont think its needed every year but when we are in the mix like this year. He has been weak in acumulating extra picks til this year with comp picks though they are all late rounders.

His drafting has been at least on par with others imo. Better than some, worse than others....and sure his weak spot has been the OL but he did hit on Slater for a change.
                          Looking at draft picks or free agent is not the entire process when evaluating a GM:

Its about the WIN -LOSS record and under Telesco
                          ZERO division titles
                          two wildcards only, two wins
                          a bunch of losing
                          and on his third head coach

He really should be fired after this year.

You want to compare to the Ravens - compare the number of playoffs the last 9 years compared to the Chargers. Thats all that matters

Comment

Working...
                          X