• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

In the info used, the bengals only have 11 players signed.
    Funny thing is, you click on the Bengals to see the entire team - they have more players signed and just under 60m of cap space; which is roughly the figure OTC.com has them at.

Cincinnati Bengals 2022 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac

I think the Chargers are comfortably pretty high on the list. Really only one player of value to release.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
      Pipkins played well in 1 game this season. Do not get ahead of yourselves.
      Pip is a monstrous question mark at best. 1 performance, good or bad, does not make a player.
      Trey should enter 2022 TC as no more than our 4th OT. If he earns a higher spot then it’s earned.
      We must upgrade this position.
      One good game at LT makes Pipkins the best #2 LT we' ve ever had that I can recall. It takes the heat off #2 LT as a PON for sure. We most need a CB with starting ability. If we can get a swing tackle / RT day two, cool but no reaches.
      The CB is definite. I want to see how 2021 plays out before I go any farther.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

One good game at LT makes Pipkins the best #2 LT we' ve ever had that I can recall. It takes the heat off #2 LT as a PON for sure. We most need a CB with starting ability. If we can get a swing tackle / RT day two, cool but no reaches.
        The CB is definite. I want to see how 2021 plays out before I go any farther.
        We could use a couple DBs, a disruptive DT, Edge, RT, TE, RB.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

DT is on my mind. Jones is good. I'd like a young Linval next to him.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

RT,DT,CB,Edge

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yep - I would add more Oline depth also.

Granted, the number 1 free agent wish is a WR

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2020
                • Send PM

"I think [it's] a testament to him and his hard work," Staley said. "It's a testament to his teammates. It's a testament to his coaching staff. He's certainly worthy of that selection. I think what he would tell you is that it's because of his teammates. I think that we've had a really, really quality season around him. He's been at the center of everything that we've done as a football team. I'm so proud of his season. I'm so proud of how he's leading our football team."

I think TT should get some praise also with the talent he has put around Herbert. Last year was a historic rookie QB season for Herbert, so the previous staff should get some credit as well. Just take a look around the league, especially Jacksonville, to see where a true train wreck franchise / coaching staff can limit even the most promising young QB.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Yep - I would add more Oline depth also.
                  I would add more DL depth also.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Everything except QB.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Here’s Popper’s answering a question about our secondary woes:

How do we solve the secondary issue? A lot of people say we should spend cap space on free agents, however the market is unclear and not guaranteed. Same with the draft but you get a lot younger and on a cheap contract. It’s an obvious issue that needs to be fixed. — @SkuldVulknut

OK, on to some actual football talk.

The Chargers’ pass defense has been leaky this season. They rank 20th in pass defense EPA on the season and 26th in pass defense EPA since the bye in Week 7, according to TruMedia.

I pin this mostly on injuries and a lack of depth. They have missed Asante Samuel Jr., who has only played in one full game since the bye week because of two separate concussions. He has not played since Week 11. Samuel is the Chargers’ best corner, and his absence is obviously going to affect their pass defense.

Overall, the Chargers have fought through a lot of injuries and moving parts in the secondary. Harris missed three games earlier this season and is only just now starting to look more like his healthy self. Derwin James missed the Giants game with a hamstring injury and only played 26 snaps against the Chiefs when the injury flared up. Nasir Adderley has missed two games due to injury. Alohi Gilman, the Chargers’ third safety, has not played since Week 10 because of a quad injury, and coach Brandon Staley has not been able to utilize his dime package as often as a result.

The Chargers were playing their dime package on 14.3 percent of defensive snaps through the first 10 weeks of the season, according to TruMedia. That rate has dropped to 6.8 percent over the last five weeks with Gilman out. And with James nursing his hamstring injury the last two weeks, the Chargers have played just a single snap of dime out of 133 total defensive snaps. They do not have enough healthy bodies in the secondary to fully showcase their defensive scheme.

So it starts there. Moving forward into next season, the Chargers have a solid foundation in place in the secondary. James is an All-Pro unicorn. Adderley has shown dramatic improvement this season and is looking like a cornerstone defensive piece. Samuel is only going to get better, as long as he can stay on the field. Michael Davis has played his two best games of the season in the last two weeks. He was sensational against the Chiefs.

The hole in 2022 will be a nickel corner. I do not expect the Chargers to re-sign Harris. Samuel could move in there, but the Chargers really like him on the outside. I could see them drafting another corner early that has inside-outside flex. Mark Webb, who is getting close to returning from IR, could fill that role.

The free-agent cornerback class is not very tantalizing. But the Chargers might have to go that route just to add depth.

They have to devote resources to the secondary this offseason. There is no question about that. I think they need to draft a corner, sign a corner in free agency and potentially add another safety, as well, either in free agency or the draft.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Thanks Xenos,

Totally agree. My latest mock has just that.

1st round: CB Roger McCreary or CB Trent McDuffie. Two CB's that can play inside or outside. Start in slot, move outside should ASJ get hurt. Both are great tacklers.
                        Highlights from Roger McCreary’s junior season at Auburn. One of the best db’s in the SEC. Please like comment and describe! #Auburn #wareagle

4th round: S Bryan Cook. Hybrid safety perfect for Staley's scheme. Depth behind Derwin and Nasir. Could start when Derwin drops into the slot or Dime LB.
                        Bryan Cook Highlights sauce gardner best safety db college football

6th round: CB D'Jordan Strong. Smaller size, smaller school. Good instincts, quick, good tackler. Slot depth.
                        D'Jordan Strong Highlights (2020)hard hits best db college football coastal carolina cb

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

I'm a little slow with the tiebreakers and whatnot, but is there any way we can still win the division? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X