• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jox g
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
    if Denver loses out, which I hope they do because I would like to see them fire Fangio. And if that happens, I don't care if Hill has only been the DC for a year, you get Fangio to LA ASAP as the DC. Staley gives the reins to Fangio as play caller and he can focus on being the HC. If they can do that with a good offseason in acquiring the players they need, this can be a quick turn around on the defensive side of the ball.
    AGREE 100% because you coach against great coaches AND you have to D coordinate vs those great coaches (Belicheck) that just coach. The other guys currently have an advantage. Take that advantage away. I texted this to J Spanos today already....hope he listens. (Oh yeah, Get a Better GM too.)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

One thing is better than years past - nobody is complaining about the ST as much. Long is the weak link now. Imagine if we replace him with Matt Araiza...
      Depending on the draft board - I wouldn't mind trading back to get another 2nd or 3rd to take Araiza in Round 2

He is a weapon in the kicking game. And there will be a team that has the cajones to draft that guy in R2

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
        if Denver loses out, which I hope they do because I would like to see them fire Fangio. And if that happens, I don't care if Hill has only been the DC for a year, you get Fangio to LA ASAP as the DC. Staley gives the reins to Fangio as play caller and he can focus on being the HC. If they can do that with a good offseason in acquiring the players they need, this can be a quick turn around on the defensive side of the ball.
        I mentioned this somewhere - maybe this thread or another totally agree

If you can get a guy like Vic Fangio to coach your defense - you do it. Hell, hire him as Asst HC - help Hill on defense, help Swinton on ST; help Lombardi. Have the old sumbitch scouting the Chargers - helping Staley -- if fired, he should be the first call.

Lynn kept Stewart way too long. Staley might like Hill but if you can get Fangio - you do it

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

There are fans that have been waiting for 30+ years to see this team win a ring…so no I don’t think you can call Chargers fans impatient.

9 years for Telesco. If nothing has changed in 9 years under Telesco what makes you think his 10th yr will suddenly be great?

This isn’t about Staley, you have to look at what’s constant here and that’s Telesco.

Losing to the Texans with playoffs on the line isn’t just any loss.

And this isn’t just one off loss either. After starting 4-1, the Chargers have now lost what 6 of the next 9 or something?

We shouldn’t only have to wait till the season is over to react to these shitty performances that the Chargers have been putting in week in and week out…especially against god awful teams.
          I’d add that while all coaching and coaches can and should learn and improve - what I am seeing more than that is our players getting beat 1x1, hat on hat, pad on pad. when 4, 5, 6 defenders get beat 1x1, its going to be a long day.

Talent wins. We have a sprinkling of stars scattered across a mediocre roster. Lose just one or two of those stars and the roster is below average. Texans example is perfect - they were playing backups just like we were. Their backups are just better. we were putting 8 in the box and still getting the ball rammed down their throat, with DL and LBs pushed 5 yards off the line before they even have a chance to try and tackle a RB. Thats not scheme, thats your players getting their asses handed to them. There is no defensive scheme to counter all of your players getting their dicks ground into the dirt.

Staley had a top 5 defense with good players. He is not the common denominator in this equation.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

We sucked all year on defense except for a couple of games where we played average. I see no originality or good training with subpar tackling and zero focus. Some people can train and coach and some people can't. It's unfortunate that he has been saddled with a lot of young players on defense but so what. I think we would have had drastically better results with an experienced defensive coordinator. For sure better instructions in the latter part of the game where it really counts for a win or loss is huge. The only bright spot on defense this year is Rumph.
            I don’t disagree the DC performance needs improvement, I’ll support a change to a more experienced DC. But NFL coaches cannot teach tackling anymore. They aren’t even allowed to make players practice tackling anymore. They are barely allowed to force players to run in shorts and tshirts. Players have to come to the NFL knowing how to tackle or you are fucked. This is all teams, not just the Chargers. TT has to get players who can play football because his shitty backup practice squad level of players are missing tackles that players on other teams make all over the field all game long.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Depending on the draft board - I wouldn't mind trading back to get another 2nd or 3rd to take Araiza in Round 2

He is a weapon in the kicking game. And there will be a team that has the cajones to draft that guy in R2
              It’d sure have been nice if our punter was also a decent PK this Sunday. Not sure R2, possible - I’d bet no later than R3 though. I watched every Aztec game, he was their MVP

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

It’d sure have been nice if our punter was also a decent PK this Sunday. Not sure R2, possible - I’d bet no later than R3 though. I watched every Aztec game, he was their MVP
                Thats kind of why I had the idea of trading back to get more picks so one could be used on this guy in the R2. I get there needs to be a trade partner and all that. But if you can have a guy flip field position when you punt - granted, need better punt blocking for the punter - he would be such a weapon. Ty Long has been average at best. Araiza could be a game changer.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats kind of why I had the idea of trading back to get more picks so one could be used on this guy in the R2. I get there needs to be a trade partner and all that. But if you can have a guy flip field position when you punt - granted, need better punt blocking for the punter - he would be such a weapon. Ty Long has been average at best. Araiza could be a game changer.
                  Maybe. This might be the year we have enough cap space to afford to go without a R1 star player. It’s not like we have an excess of star players. We need a dominant star in the middle of the DL, LB, and DB groups.

Ty Long is dead last in the league in net avg. avg at best is not even in the picture frame.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Maybe. This might be the year we have enough cap space to afford to go without a R1 star player. It’s not like we have an excess of star players. We need a dominant star in the middle of the DL, LB, and DB groups.

Ty Long is dead last in the league in net avg. avg at best is not even in the picture frame.
                    Thats where it gets tricky because if there is a player, IDL or RT (maybe Edge or a FAST WR like Jameson from Bama or if Olave from Ohio State - but need FAST!!) - there when the Chargers pick - -as much as Araiza might be fun - you have to take the talent if scouted correctly. Meaning a true top 15 talent at a position of need. Or a player like Derwin James falls. Because a player like that can have an impact on so many more plays.

But if the board allows the opportunity - than you have to take that in. Net Punting Average is also due to terrible special teams coverage. Though it seems to be getting better.

Comment

• Berserker76
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

I’d add that while all coaching and coaches can and should learn and improve - what I am seeing more than that is our players getting beat 1x1, hat on hat, pad on pad. when 4, 5, 6 defenders get beat 1x1, its going to be a long day.

Talent wins. We have a sprinkling of stars scattered across a mediocre roster. Lose just one or two of those stars and the roster is below average. Texans example is perfect - they were playing backups just like we were. Their backups are just better. we were putting 8 in the box and still getting the ball rammed down their throat, with DL and LBs pushed 5 yards off the line before they even have a chance to try and tackle a RB. Thats not scheme, thats your players getting their asses handed to them. There is no defensive scheme to counter all of your players getting their dicks ground into the dirt.

Staley had a top 5 defense with good players. He is not the common denominator in this equation.
                      Great take.

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post

I thought it was, win out and BAL OR MIA lose a game???
                        from the articles i've seen, they both have to lose a game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

from the articles i've seen, they both have to lose a game.
                          Both teams have to lose and the Chargers win twice

Comment

Working...
                          X