• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

By Daniel Popper Dec 28, 2021 21
    The Chargers lost to the Texans, 41-29, on Sunday.

Here are some final thoughts, stats and quotes as the Chargers try to move from this utter disaster in Houston.

1. The Chargers are now out of the playoffs. With a win over the Saints on Monday night, the Dolphins have moved into seventh place in AFC. The Colts (9-6) are in fifth place. The Patriots (9-6) are in sixth place. The Chargers, Raiders, Ravens and Dolphins are all tied at 8-7, with Miami in the most favorable tiebreaker position. According to league tie-breaking procedures, if more than three teams are tied for a wild-card spot, the first step is applying the division tiebreaker “to eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division.” The Chargers and Raiders, of course, are both in the AFC West. The Chargers have the head-to-head advantage over the Raiders from the teams’ Week 4 game. So the Raiders would be eliminated. That leaves the Chargers, Ravens and Dolphins. The second step of the wild-card tiebreaker is a head-to-head sweep. The Chargers and Dolphins have not played this season, so that is not applicable. The third step is conference record. The Chargers are 5-5 in the AFC. The Dolphins are also 5-5. The Ravens are 5-6. That eliminates the Ravens. The fourth step is best record in common games. The Dolphins and Chargers have played five common opponents this season: The Patriots, Raiders, Texans, Ravens and Giants. The Dolphins are 4-1 in those games. The Chargers are 2-3. So the Dolphins would win the tiebreaker for the seventh spot. The Chargers are in eighth place.
    Last edited by Formula 21; 12-29-2021, 11:15 AM.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      By Daniel Popper Dec 28, 2021 21
      The Chargers lost to the Texans, 41-29, on Sunday.

Here are some final thoughts, stats and quotes as the Chargers try to move from this utter disaster in Houston.

1. The Chargers are now out of the playoffs. With a win over the Saints on Monday night, the Dolphins have moved into seventh place in AFC. The Colts (9-6) are in fifth place. The Patriots (9-6) are in sixth place. The Chargers, Raiders, Ravens and Dolphins are all tied at 8-7, with Miami in the most favorable tiebreaker position. According to league tie-breaking procedures, if more than three teams are tied for a wild-card spot, the first step is applying the division tiebreaker “to eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division.” The Chargers and Raiders, of course, are both in the AFC West. The Chargers have the head-to-head advantage over the Raiders from the teams’ Week 4 game. So the Raiders would be eliminated. That leaves the Chargers, Ravens and Dolphins. The second step of the wild-card tiebreaker is a head-to-head sweep. The Chargers and Dolphins have not played this season, so that is not applicable. The third step is conference record. The Chargers are 5-5 in the AFC. The Dolphins are also 5-5. The Ravens are 5-6. That eliminates the Ravens. The fourth step is best record in common games. The Dolphins and Chargers have played five common opponents this season: The Patriots, Raiders, Texans, Ravens and Giants. The Dolphins are 4-1 in those games. The Chargers are 2-3. So the Dolphins would win the tiebreaker for the seventh spot. The Chargers are in eighth place.
      Poor choice of words by Popper. The Chargers are not out of the playoffs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

He wrote NOW - had to read it twice myself

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He wrote NOW - had to read it twice myself
          The playoffs are not now. They start in three weeks and the Chargers are still very much alive for the post season. No team is out of the playoffs until they are mathematically eliminated. He should have said the Chargers are currently outside of the playoff window, or something to that effect. Anybody reading what he wrote and not investigating further on their own would take it to mean the Chargers are eliminated. Just a poor choice of words.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

The playoffs are not now. They start in three weeks and the Chargers are still very much alive for the post season. No team is out of the playoffs until they are mathematically eliminated. He should have said the Chargers are currently outside of the playoff window, or something to that effect. Anybody reading what he wrote and not investigating further on their own would take it to mean the Chargers are eliminated. Just a poor choice of words.
            Thats a fair point. But when I read that article last night - I knew what he was talking about. As the week before, they were "in" the playoffs

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Still dont change the fact that right NOW, we arent in it. Could be in a few weeks but right now we arent. Nothing wrong with posting that.

Its the same as you posting us having the 5th seed two weeks ago with games to go.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Still dont change the fact that right NOW, we arent in it. Could be in a few weeks but right now we arent. Nothing wrong with posting that.

Its the same as you posting us having the 5th seed two weeks ago with games to go.
                At the time I posted that, the Chargers were the 5th seed and that was correct. Popper said the Chargers are out of the playoffs now. The playoffs are not now - they start in three weeks. Popper's wording is incorrect.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

At the time I posted that, the Chargers were the 5th seed and that was correct. Popper said the Chargers are out of the playoffs now. The playoffs are not now - they start in three weeks. Popper's wording is incorrect.
                  End of the day, Chargers need to take names, open up the whole damn can and make this a woodshed game

(and I will be doing errands until about 12pm PT Sunday as I do not want to scoreboard watch those two early games Sunday - I can handle watching the Bolts but scoreboard watching stinks)

What does BoltDieHard say?

F**k the Broncos

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Well the playoffs werent going on when we were the 5th seed either. I dont have a problem with it. We are out of it now just like we were in it then.

Win our 2 remaining games and we are back in it. Not a big deal IMO.

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

agree..... not over yet.... but if we lose to DEN, it will be over.....

has there been any confirmation or list of what players will be out this week???

I saw someone posted that Adderley and most of secondary may miss this DEN game.....plus many others....... if true, it will be very difficult to beat a DEN team that is better than us overall even if both teams are healthy...... which is why we lost first game.....

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

agree..... not over yet.... but if we lose to DEN, it will be over.....

has there been any confirmation or list of what players will be out this week???

I saw someone posted that Adderley and most of secondary may miss this DEN game.....plus many others....... if true, it will be very difficult to beat a DEN team that is better than us overall even if both teams are healthy...... which is why we lost first game.....
                        I don't agree they are better than us if we were both healthy.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well the playoffs werent going on when we were the 5th seed either. I dont have a problem with it. We are out of it now just like we were in it then.

Win our 2 remaining games and we are back in it. Not a big deal IMO.
                          Beat DEN and raiders and MIA and Ravens must lose also.......which is likely....

Comment

Working...
                          X