• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Staley is prepping our starters for reg season games, doing install for Wash, top O vs top D under more controlled circumstances.

We'll see if his program tune-up has a noticable impact.
    It's worth a try IMO. Our injury history and 2nd half let-downs are legendary. Staley apparently believes that our starters can achieve unity and precision through practice. I'm on his side.

Comment

• UtahBolt
      Did we win?
      • Jun 2013
      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
      • Send PM

Those of you that want JH10 and DJ to play are crazy! There is no chemistry to be gained in a preseason game, none. There is little to no game planning, there are little to no halftime adjustments, play calling on both sides is vanilla. The only benefit is being able to see guys you have not seen before against live competition. That is all. NFL preseason is the biggest nothing burger in all of sports, players hate it, most coaches don't like it and last season proved that is unnecessary. Why risk the franchise and a guy with a long injury history, I mean there is a reason the QBs wear red jerseys in practice. The risk reward is ridiculous because there is no reward in that equation.

GoQ is right and if either one of those guys were injured you would all be screaming Staley needs to go because he risked the franchise in a situation that means nothing.
      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        Exactly this ^

If I’m not rolling out my 5 starters on the OL, then I’m not rolling out my franchise QB. Simple as that. Keeping Herbertron off the field is a result of our need to keep Linsley and Bulaga healthy to start the season.

PLUS, if any of our OL vets do go down during the season, we’ll be glad the backups got all these preseason reps.

It’s a win-win.

Staley is playing 4D chess. Us fans are struggling to play tic tac toe. I know we’re all anxious to see Herb rip, but let’s let coach do his thing.

We’ll be better for it later.
        I agree. I think us fans got spoiled by a decade+ of Rivers and company playing preseason games. I kind of agree with Staley when he said our O playing against our D in practice prepares them better than preseason. In preseason you’re going to go against rookies and players on the chopping block and it is mostly vanilla plays anyways. I’m happy to hear that Slater and Samuel will play so I’m looking forward to that.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I agree. I think us fans got spoiled by a decade+ of Rivers and company playing preseason games. I kind of agree with Staley when he said our O playing against our D in practice prepares them better than preseason. In preseason you’re going to go against rookies and players on the chopping block and it is mostly vanilla plays anyways. I’m happy to hear that Slater and Samuel will play so I’m looking forward to that.
          Pretty sure Slater will enjoy getting some reps where he can just maul someone. I doubt that they leave him in very long

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
            Those of you that want JH10 and DJ to play are crazy! There is no chemistry to be gained in a preseason game, none. There is little to no game planning, there are little to no halftime adjustments, play calling on both sides is vanilla. The only benefit is being able to see guys you have not seen before against live competition. That is all. NFL preseason is the biggest nothing burger in all of sports, players hate it, most coaches don't like it and last season proved that is unnecessary. Why risk the franchise and a guy with a long injury history, I mean there is a reason the QBs wear red jerseys in practice. The risk reward is ridiculous because there is no reward in that equation.

GoQ is right and if either one of those guys were injured you would all be screaming Staley needs to go because he risked the franchise in a situation that means nothing.
            I wouldn’t call pre-season games a complete “nothing burger.” They certainly are ridiculous for established starters and vets, but they mean a great deal for bubble players. Playing against guys from other teams proves that your skills translate outside the roster.

I’m looking really forward to the WR battle between guys like Proehl, Reed and Moore. Also, there’ll be a battle between Roundtree and Kelley, as well as Fehoko and Broughton—Asante, Fascyon, and Campbell. Stephen Anderson will be looking to prove his worth, too.

These games determine depth,
            and depth is more important
            than ever with this new
            17 game schedule.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Pipkins needs reps to keep from being cut. We need to see substantial improvement from him.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Pretty sure Slater will enjoy getting some reps where he can just maul someone. I doubt that they leave him in very long
                Don’t forget the DL and Edge players itching to get up close and personal to the qb without getting yelled at.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Pipkins needs reps to keep from being cut. We need to see substantial improvement from him.
                  I agree. And some feistiness would help.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I agree. And some feistiness would help.
                    Pipkins won’t get cut, even if Storm has the edge on him. We need to carry two reserve OTs.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If Derwin James or Herbert get hurt in the pre-season? That *WOULD* count in the standings!
                      Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If Derwin James or Herbert get hurt in the pre-season? That *WOULD* count in the standings!
                      If a meteor falls on them it's gonna have a bad effect too. Let's put them in the shelter.

New offense, new defense, new coaches, a QB with only 15 games of experience, a new OL - come on, those are very good reasons to play them.

This defense of a bad decision reminds me of how you all defended McCoy when he was our new HC. I've been as impressed with what Staley has done so far as the rest of you but I'm not so impressed that I think he's perfect.

I just think not playing them at all is going overboard.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Tol
                        From Accounting
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Carlsbad
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Per Staley, the reps Herbert gets at Jack Hammett prepare him better for the regular season than reps in Preseason games would.

Why are posters saying this shit ?

Have you already lost confidence in Staley ?
                        Gotta get use to saying "In BS I trust!" :chuckle:

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Gotta get use to saying "In BS I trust!" :chuckle:
                          Ha ha ha.
                          BS.
                          No BS.
                          We do not play modern football.