• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think the cutting of Johnson hurts our chances against WFT in particular. WFT was tied for 27th in allowing completions of over 40 yards. They gave up big plays last year and we made them happen due in significant part to Johnson or the combination of Johnson and Guyton putting pressure on defenses.

There is a reason why the Chiefs selected Hardman even though they already had Hill. We had the poor man's version of that with two cheap practice squad players who were worth their weight in gold and we just pissed it away.

And what happens if Guyton gets injured? Then we will have absolutely zero speed at the WR position. Palmer, a guy with a 4.51 40 yard dash time, will be the fastest WR on the roster. Defenses will be able to compact the short area near the line of scrimmage without any real fear of being beat deep. That will have at least some adverse impact on Allen as the passing lanes will likely be less roomy and more crowded.

Johnson and the combination of Johnson and Guyton added real value to the offense.
    While I think T-Billy is a better WR at this point than Hill(who also didn't show well as a return man), I'll remind you that MW has a career 16.7 yards per catch and in 2019 it was 20.4.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
      Catching punts is not easy. Johnson and Guyton both failed at it, bad.

That's why I say "They kept Hill to catch the punts" instead of "They kept Hill to return the punts". He's literally the only guy on roster right now proficient at not fumbling punts.
      That’s actually kind of pathetic

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

While I think T-Billy is a better WR at this point than Hill(who also didn't show well as a return man), I'll remind you that MW has a career 16.7 yards per catch and in 2019 it was 20.4.
        Sure, but Williams is not the same kind of player as Johnson. Williams will go up and catch contested balls. Johnson is good at getting separation deep passes, has good hands and runs good routes. Johnson' speed was a good complement to Allen and Williams, who lack top end speed.

Hill is worthless as a football player. I see lots of trash on the roster and not good depth in multiple places. I think the roster could have been significantly better than it ultimately ended up being.

There were several questionable roster moves (more than in most seasons) that I did not agree with and one roster move that was truly terrible.

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The guy was great last year. 26 targets--20 receptions, 396 yards, 19.9 yards per reception, 3 TDs and a 78.4 PFF grade. He is better than at least one WR on every single roster in the league.

He was the best waived player in the entire league. That is why Jacksonville took him and only him when they had their choice of all released players.

It is not that he was picked by the worst team, but rather that he was clearly picked first among all waived players from all teams. That is the point. veryourhead:
          Urban was probably watching JH highlight to get some idea for Trevor Lawrence and saw T-Billy burning the defense with long bombs.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Man I sure do wish we could be good at building a roster and evaluating talent like the Jaguars. Truly a franchise with a history of having it together. Johnson is probably their best pickup since Natrone Means, if not ever.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Being one of the best deep threat WR over the past 3 years is completely irrelevant without 4.3 speed. Only running past coverage deep counts.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                Man I sure do wish we could be good at building a roster and evaluating talent like the Jaguars. Truly a franchise with a history of having it together. Johnson is probably their best pickup since Natrone Means, if not ever.
                I know with forums like this, twitter, etc - there is more access to opinions than ever before

But I cannot recall so much consternation over WR4 or WR5 on a roster.

Staley admitted why Johnson was odd man out so to speak - Special Teams played a role

Special Teams was more important than a 6th WR. And if Johnson cannot catch punts, that gives Hill an advantage.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I know with forums like this, twitter, etc - there is more access to opinions than ever before

But I cannot recall so much consternation over WR4 or WR5 on a roster.

Staley admitted why Johnson was odd man out so to speak - Special Teams played a role

Special Teams was more important than a 6th WR. And if Johnson cannot catch punts, that gives Hill an advantage.
                  Bro, you don’t get it. They just decimated the roster and rendered any hope of victory impossible. They literally, and i literally never use the word literally, set this franchise back by at least 6 years. There is no recovery from this devastating talent loss.

I’m already looking ahead to the ‘22 draft, personally. Pick Uno lies ahead.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Bro, you don’t get it. They just decimated the roster and rendered any hope of victory impossible. They literally, and i literally never use the word literally, set this franchise back by at least 6 years. There is no recovery from this devastating talent loss.

Well said - we might as well start scouting colleges for the top pick in the draft like you said.

Seriously, if Special Teams improves from what, 30th in the league to like 20th - this move was worth it.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Someone told me to stop talking about Kayvon Thibodeaux because we had no chance at getting him. Obviously this was before we let Johnson go.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Someone told me to stop talking about Kayvon Thibodeaux because we had no chance at getting him. Obviously this was before we let Johnson go.
                        Tanking for Thibs
                        Tanking for Thibs

Telesco playing what 5D chess - cutting T Billy to allow for the team to add a prize defender to go with Bosa and James with Herbert. This is strategery at its finest.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Right! Get Kayvon then Super Bowl

Amazing what we can come up with as “the collective” sure Telesco wishes he thought it through :couch:

Comment

Working...
                          X