Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Thank you, gal! Enjoyed that. Popper predicts we go 9-8. I can see that but I'm hoping for a little better. Glad he'll be doing these chats every Sunday after games once the season starts.
    Poppers being a bit of a chicken...our key players stay healthy for most of the season, I see 11 to 12 wins easy. How many games did we lose because our defense didnt adjust, and let the other team we had all but beaten come back? Much improved secondary, especially with James back...much improved oline...a coach who knows how to adjust and gameplan...I see no reason to not be optimistic.

Health is the one caveat...we are a bit thin on the oline, and losing Bosa or James for significant time could be an issue...

But we had a rookie QB, trash oline , and decimated secondary last year..and still SHOULD have won 10 games if our defense could have held onto late game, double digit leads...I think it unlikely we experience the same scenarios this year.

12-5
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
      I don't think JAX would let us fleece them like that.

Last season I though 9-7 was a lowball prediction. Then we went 3-9. Oof, you never know.
      I'm tempering my expectations, so I can be pleasantly surprised.
      I always set my prediction unrealistically high with a subconscious agreement I will be fine with less. 12-5 is my mark, but any wildcard slot is fine. Positive Chi. I think missing playoffs is a miss - but I’ll be fine then too. Its football, its entertainment. I am sure I will be entertained, thats all they owe me.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Thank you, gal! Enjoyed that. Popper predicts we go 9-8. I can see that but I'm hoping for a little better. Glad he'll be doing these chats every Sunday after games once the season starts.
        I think that is pretty fair actually. I have questions about the team

are the OL and if the Special Teams truly are improved.
        Along with does Herbert get better and the offense improve or at least not regress
        Can the defense improve and can James stay healthy
        Can Vizcaino make a clutch kick

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Does anyone know anything about Eric Banks? I read very little on him: no combine or pro day numbers.
          Staley saw a lot of him last year, and this year in the combined practices. Staley called Banks “our kind of defensive lineman”

He replaces Merrill on the roster, and yet they are very much different. Now, they have no backup for Joseph on game day.

"Health is the one caveat...we are a bit thin on the oline, and losing Bosa or James for significant time could be an issue...." - Lonebolt

I think that is the concern and that is why he is here: Bosa's role being more important than Joseph's and the other edge players being more like Ingram.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Cinderella Story--HS QB.
            Coached up by Penny Hardaway.

Comp: AJ Epenesa/Yetur Gross-Matos.

The good news: No, he has not been working at Home Depot.

The other news: LAR signed Banks when he was working at Locke Hill Feed, Pet, and Lawn Supply in San Antonio, Texas.

This dude will throw offensive linemen around with a powerful, violent, whip-like action, as though they are nothing but bales of hay...Staley likes that.

That's all I got.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Cinderella Story--HS QB.

The other news: LAR signed Banks when he was working at Locke Hill Feed, Pet, and Lawn Supply in San Antonio, Texas.

This dude will throw offensive linemen around with a powerful, violent, whip-like action, as though they are nothing but bales of hay...Staley likes that.

That's all I got.
              Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Cinderella Story--HS QB.

That's all I got.
              What was his time in the "throw two OL to the ground test"?

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Berserker76
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I always set my prediction unrealistically high with a subconscious agreement I will be fine with less. 12-5 is my mark, but any wildcard slot is fine. Positive Chi. I think missing playoffs is a miss - but I’ll be fine then too. Its football, its entertainment. I am sure I will be entertained, thats all they owe me.
                I'm with you there, dmac, 13-4 for me. I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation for this crew. An upgraded defense & offensive line was all this team needed. The only real bone-crushing defeat was to the Patriots, and I'm hoping to see us return the favor this year.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  Does anyone know anything about Eric Banks? I read very little on him: no combine or pro day numbers.
                  Staley saw a lot of him last year, and this year in the combined practices. Staley called Banks “our kind of defensive lineman”

He replaces Merrill on the roster, and yet they are very much different. Now, they have no backup for Joseph on game day.
                  What I don't understand is that Staley explained cutting Broughton by saying they wanted someone bigger:

“I thought he performed,” Staley said of Broughton, a 2019 seventh-round pick. “I think where we were at from a depth standpoint and what we needed inside, we needed a bigger interior guy, just a little bit stronger of a player who could play more in the middle in the run front, and I think that’s what it came down to.”
                  From The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/2801703/2021...running-backs/

OK, so Joseph is 323 and Merrill is 322, while Broughton is only 293. But then they replace Merrill with Banks, who is 274. So the reasoning doesn't hold.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

What I don't understand is that Staley explained cutting Broughton by saying they wanted someone bigger:

OK, so Joseph is 323 and Merrill is 322, while Broughton is only 293. But then they replace Merrill with Banks, who is 274. So the reasoning doesn't hold.
                    Bet you Banks is closer to 290# now. He has great length and athleticism. I believe Broughton was redundant vs JJones, Tillery and Covington in several aspects. Then there is Merrill who we expected to not be claimed.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Maybe Brawny Banks is really strong...

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Turns out he's been eating his Wheaties and now he's Big Bad Banks.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

He looks like a candidate to be shifted over to DE, if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                          X