• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKFlyFisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2020
    • Send PM

Not to repeat what others have said, but given this team's depth, the McKitty pick continues to be a head scratcher and I truly question if McKitty will ever really play for this team. When he was drafted, he was sold as almost an additional offensive linemen, which made sense given his college pass catching production was mediocre. But given Nabers (who plays a hybrid role), Anderson, Parham, and Cook, I really didn't understand the pick. Then in the preseason, the selection made even less sense, as McKitty didn't prove to be a good blocker or very savvy route running. In the 3rd, there was more OL and DL depth to be had with that pick. One player may not make a difference, but currently with the DL depth, another athlete would have been better than a developmental TE. What it reinforces to me is that the Chargers were not in the position to spend a pick on a development player like McKitty. 5th or 6th round? Sure. But not the 3rd given the team's lack of DL depth and Special Teams talent. Telesco has to avoid these types of errors in the future.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Before the draft, we had Broughton still on the team. I guess another DL bust? Got beat out by UDFAs? Trench guys are not TTs forte.
      Here's TT's draft record on D-line:

2013 - Round 6 - Tourek Williams - BUST
      2014 - Round 5 - Ryan Carrethers - BUST
      2015 - Round 6 - Darius Philon - productive in rotation--not a bad pick for late-rounder
      2016 - Round 1 - Joey Bosa - ELITE PICK, but then, he was high on just about everyone's board
      2017 - Round 7 - Isaac Rochell - Showed some flashes in the rotation--5 sacks in 2018--not a bad late round pick
      2018 - Round 3 - Justin Jones - Developing into at least a serviceable run-defender, when healthy
      2019 - Round 1 - Jerry Tillery - BUST
      2019 - Round 7 - Cortez Broughton - BUST
      2020 - NO D-LINE SELECTED AT ALL!
      2021 - Round 4 - Chris Rumph - Could develop into decent rotational pass rusher

Now, when I call a late-rounder a "bust," I mean they were either mostly unproductive or didn't last long with the team. We can draw the following conclusions from TT's D-line draft history:

1. TT drafts a LOT of late round D-line players. And when he does, they're usually a "BUST."
      2. In round 1, he is 1/2. Bosa was a can't miss player. Tillery was a reach and a bust.
      3. The only mid-rounders he has drafted are Jones and Rumph. Both seem to be promising.
      4. By the 2020 draft, TT already had a year to evaluate Tillery--it was evident he wasn't progressing all that well...TT chose NOT to draft any D-line that year, especially a DT as a hedge in case Tillery totally BUSTED...BIG MISTAKE!

CONCLUSION: TT needs to draft at LEAST more mid-round D-line players. An occasional 1st or 2nd rounder, depending on slotting, also needs to be strongly considered. Finally, TT needs to trade for at least ONE solid run-stuffer, especially someone on the last year of his contract, asap. Other GM's do this...why not u, TT?
      Last edited by Topcat; 10-19-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Before the draft, we had Broughton still on the team. I guess another DL bust? Got beat out by UDFAs? Trench guys are not TT’s forte.
        I think Broughton was plucked off our PS by KC or they picked him up when w released him. Thinking the latter.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-19-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...strike while the iron is hot...think of it...THIS YEAR, we have Derwin HEALTHY...this year, we finally have a solid and mostly healthy O-line...this year, we have a smart HC and staff...THIS YEAR, we still have Mike Will...THIS YEAR, we have a healthy KA and Ekkie...THIS COULD BE THE YEAR...IF we get some help...right quick!
          The list posted of the DLine that Telesco has drafted has been subpar at best

He is going to have to hit free agency or the trade market

Danny Shelton is out there - for cheap - would he be worse
          Sheldon Rankins - from the Jets - offer a 6th
          Short or Atkins are free agents

Not every team will be able to run the ball like Cleve and Baltimore - but they sure as hell will try against this defense.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
              Not to repeat what others have said, but given this team's depth, the McKitty pick continues to be a head scratcher and I truly question if McKitty will ever really play for this team. When he was drafted, he was sold as almost an additional offensive linemen, which made sense given his college pass catching production was mediocre. But given Nabers (who plays a hybrid role), Anderson, Parham, and Cook, I really didn't understand the pick. Then in the preseason, the selection made even less sense, as McKitty didn't prove to be a good blocker or very savvy route running. In the 3rd, there was more OL and DL depth to be had with that pick. One player may not make a difference, but currently with the DL depth, another athlete would have been better than a developmental TE. What it reinforces to me is that the Chargers were not in the position to spend a pick on a development player like McKitty. 5th or 6th round? Sure. But not the 3rd given the team's lack of DL depth and Special Teams talent. Telesco has to avoid these types of errors in the future.
              Parham and Anderson were mainly catchers last year. Staley and Lombardi wanted a blocking tight end that can become a good catcher also. It seemed that both Anderson and especially Parham improved their blocking over the offseason to keep McKitty inactive. But both third round picks seemed to be BPA picks for the future. It’s easy to blame Telesco here but he’s also getting input from the coaches on what they want for their scheme. Likewise this goes back to the PON argument versus BPA.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Here's TT's draft record on D-line:

2013 - Round 6 - Tourek Williams - BUST
                2014 - Round 5 - Ryan Carrethers - BUST
                2015 - Round 6 - Darius Philon - productive in rotation--not a bad pick for late-rounder
                2016 - Round 1 - Joey Bosa - ELITE PICK, but then, he was high on just about everyone's board
                2017 - Round 7 - Isaac Rochell - Showed some flashes in the rotation--5 sacks in 2018--not a bad late round pick
                2018 - Round 3 - Justin Jones - Developing into at least a serviceable run-defender, when healthy
                2019 - Round 1 - Jerry Tillery - BUST
                2019 - Round 7 - Cortez Broughton - BUST
                2020 - NO D-LINE SELECTED AT ALL!
                2021 - Round 4 - Chris Rumph - Could develop into decent rotational pass rusher

Now, when I call a late-rounder a "bust," I mean they were either mostly unproductive or didn't last long with the team. We can draw the following conclusions from TT's D-line draft history:

1. TT drafts a LOT of late round D-line players. And when he does, they're usually a "BUST."
                2. In round 1, he is 1/2. Bosa was a can't miss player. Tillery was a reach and a bust.
                3. The only mid-rounders he has drafted are Jones and Rumph. Both seem to be promising.
                4. By the 2020 draft, TT already had a year to evaluate Tillery--it was evident he wasn't progressing all that well...TT chose NOT to draft any D-line that year, especially a DT as a hedge in case Tillery totally BUSTED...BIG MISTAKE!

CONCLUSION: TT needs to draft at LEAST more mid-round D-line players. An occasional 1st or 2nd rounder, depending on slotting, also needs to be strongly considered. Finally, TT needs to trade for at least ONE solid run-stuffer, especially someone on the last year of his contract, asap. Other GM's do this...why not u, TT?
                I do not necessarily disagree with your post or premise, I do however disagree with any 7th rounder being labeled as a bust. No body expects much from them.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Parham and Anderson were mainly catchers last year. Staley and Lombardi wanted a blocking tight end that can become a good catcher also. It seemed that both Anderson and especially Parham improved their blocking over the offseason to keep McKitty inactive. But both third round picks seemed to be BPA picks for the future. It’s easy to blame Telesco here but he’s also getting input from the coaches on what they want for their scheme. Likewise this goes back to the PON argument versus BPA.
                  Is this really a bad draft pick or are they planning for when Cook retires. Maybe McKitty can play RT? LOL!

:shifty:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I do not necessarily disagree with your post or premise, I do however disagree with any 7th rounder being labeled as a bust. No body expects much from them.
                    What’s considered not a bust? I would say a 5th or lower since the odds are not in their favor. Though I supposed it’s always nice to have depth even if they can’t be full time starters.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      What’s considered not a bust? I would say a 5th or lower since the odds are not in their favor. Though I supposed it’s always nice to have depth even if they can’t be full time starters.
                      Agree, teams do not expect every draft pick to make the team every year. If you get good or rotational production from your 5th, 6th and 7th rounders then that is a bonus. If they do not make it than they are not busts, just proving why they were drafted in the late rounds.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                        Day One...
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brentwood, 94513
                        • Send PM

One player is going to fix our depth, but having one more, would be better than carrying three qb.

I’m hoping they do something, but I’m happy with what they have done so far. In first after six weeks, I’ll take it. Our Way…

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Day 1 and day 2 can bust. Day 3 is bonus if you get anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X