• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jox g
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

To Spanos Family: HAPPY EASTER! Now go sell the team! Just win baby!

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Before the team moved, I'm not sure people hated Spanos, but they certainly thought he was a weak, undercapitalized and ineffective owner. He was judged by his record and there have been a few good years but the team has been a second tier organization under him. It also doesn't help that Spanos is very private and doesn't engage with the fanbase. A lot of good things done behind the scenes with local charities went unnoticed because they don't play the PR game They haven't won consistently on the field and he was unable to get a new stadium deal here. I don't blame him for the move nearly as much as a lot of people do as the city of San Diego is as bumbling as Spanos is and short of financing the entire stadium himself, something not possible with the lack of capitalization, it was never going to happen here. I know a lot of people upset with the move who used to claim the "loyal to the soil" argument and cursed him and swore off the Chargers, all the while rooting for the Lakers in LA which I find ironic.
      I would disagree: they have always very much played the PR game, since they have been amply provisioned by government largess and subject to its oversight from the very beginning (the Bracero program). When Spanos bought the team, he paid for a two page fluff piece in the middle of San Diego Union's sport section entitled 'Sporting Spanos'. It was hilarious.

Their problem was that they just were never very good at public relations. The acrimonious ending to Don Coryell and Dan Fouts's time in San Diego was the beginning of a discordant relationship wiith the San Diego public. AG Spanos was greeted to a chorus of boos the last time he was introduced at a Charger's game, when he trotted onto the field. There were many instances in the past of his tone deafness towards public sentiment and he had been threatening to move way back in the 90s. Spanos could be safely classified as a first class jerk and Dean Spanos comes across, rightly or wrongly, as a feckless, somewhat entitled lump.

Not hated - hatred is too strong a term - just not liked: tolerated like one tolerates a carbuncle that can't be removed.
      i would say it was a general dislike for the family that intensified into a deeper disgust once they moved.

Sorry about the internecine warfare within the family: :beer:
      something straight out of the Julio-Claudian dynastic history - but falls somewhat short in typical family style. Wake me up when a family member gets poisoned.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        aaronk333 welcome to the forum. Had to merge your thread...

Your thread will get a bunch of former fans logging in and just creating a shit storm. We all have expressed our distaste for the owner quite enough since the move. I dont think we need to rehash this. We have a thread dedicated to the potential sale of the team and that is sort of being used as our anti ownership thread. No need to create more spanos threads. They simply turn into more spanos threads. Just the way it works here. I miss many of our members that left over the move....but having them log in just to slam the team? Not the way i want them to say hi to the community they were once part of for so many years. If they want to chime in...they can do so in this thread.
        Where is the stirring shit icon when one actually needs it?:drool:

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Dear Chargers Fans,

Take a Chill Pill.

:stirringshit:

:beer:
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Where is the stirring shit icon when one actually needs it?:drool:
            We have to have one. lol Probably 20. My smiley guy quit on me. lol

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              As tempting as it is, please don't re-litigate the move from San Diego. There's lots to discuss about the business skills of the ownership since the move, though.
              Nor politics etc. We dont need Trump GIFs etc. Just a sliver of politics here in any form turns into a shitfest. Or any shit analogy to be honest.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I would disagree: they have always very much played the PR game, since they have been amply provisioned by government largess and subject to its oversight from the very beginning (the Bracero program). When Spanos bought the team, he paid for a two page fluff piece in the middle of San Diego Union's sport section entitled 'Sporting Spanos'. It was hilarious.

Their problem was that they just were never very good at public relations. The acrimonious ending to Don Coryell and Dan Fouts's time in San Diego was the beginning of a discordant relationship wiith the San Diego public. AG Spanos was greeted to a chorus of boos the last time he was introduced at a Charger's game, when he trotted onto the field. There were many instances in the past of his tone deafness towards public sentiment and he had been threatening to move way back in the 90s. Spanos could be safely classified as a first class jerk and Dean Spanos comes across, rightly or wrongly, as a feckless, somewhat entitled lump.

Not hated - hatred is too strong a term - just not liked: tolerated like one tolerates a carbuncle that can't be removed.
                i would say it was a general dislike for the family that intensified into a deeper disgust once they moved.

Sorry about the internecine warfare within the family: :beer:
                something straight out of the Julio-Claudian dynastic history - but falls somewhat short in typical family style. Wake me up when a family member gets poisoned.
                What I mean is that I am aware of several charities they work with that go under the radar (my next door neighbor runs one) when they could get some free good press out of that they don't - they make it clear they want to keep a low profile. They have also on numerous occasions used their chartered jet to fly people who experienced personal tragedies to go home to be with family. They did fail miserably in their San Diego PR that was public, no doubt about that. At least in LA they seem to have hired top notch social media people.

I suspect people are getting too excited about them selling the team and in typical Spanos fashion they will disappoint by holding on to the team and crush our dreams!

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                  The Precious
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

I love Trailer Park Boys.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by aaronk333 View Post
                    I created this account just for this question lol...

With the Spanos family in the news all of the Dean Spanos hate seems to be resurfacing. I grew up in San Diego but moved away in the late 1990's. I moved back about 2 years ago but was not around when all of the controversy with them moving happened (it did bleed over into the Nor Cal sports market but it wasnt covered that much).

Anyway, I have searched online and cannot find any reasonable explanation as to why people hate the Chargers ownership. So far here is what the hate is centered around:

---> Hes very cheap and doesnt pay for a lot of the same amenities (for his players) as other franchises, the organization has always had its ups and downs with no championship, and he moved the team to LA when SD wouldnt buy him a new stadium through a hotel tax.

Now putting aside the cheapness and losing, I think the main reason why they hate the chargers ownership is that they wanted a new stadium and had to move to get one But this has always confused me and I don't understand why for these reasons:

1) The Chargers could not continue to play in Qualcom stadium. Even the biggest charger supporters who went to games said that that stadium was probably the 2nd worst in all of football. They looked into more renovations and other upgrades and concluded that it would be very costly and would not improve the stadium to such an extent that the cost would be worth it. So they needed a new stadium,

2) The Chargers ownership did not have the money to buy a new stadium because the majority of their wealth is solely from the chargers. Further, the cost of building in SD or LA or any part of CA is extremely expensive. It would have cost 2-3 times more to build a stadium in CA then TX.

---> So if San Diego wanted to keep the chargers they needed to have a place for them to play. I have no idea why people hate the chargers ownership for the decision to move. What exactly was going to happen if the chargers continue to play in qualcom and the whole stadium became an unsafe structure? Then where do the chargers play? Did people in San Diego expect the chargers to then move to some parking lot or high school stadium and play there?

It just seems to me like the people of San Diego wanted the chargers to stay but did not want to pay for a new stadium. They just wanted to the chargers to play in a dilapidated stadium until it became unsafe??? I dont get it. They had no choice but to move. Why hate them for that? (especially considering they could have moved out of state to Las Vegas or San Antonio or some other far away place. They also moved to a place that is 2 hours north and charger fans can still go to the games if they want. They still have the same team name and colors/appearance and everything)
                    Locals didnt grasp the hotel tax not costing them anything. Thats how the Raiders stadium got most of its money and it didnt cost me a dime while living here. I think people are lazy and dont want to read things and just see a headline and decide it isnt a good thing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Nor politics etc. We dont need Trump GIFs etc. Just a sliver of politics here in any form turns into a shitfest. Or any shit analogy to be honest.

Guilty, sorry about that. I looked for many others but that particular one was best for how i felt at the time lol. OK, even politician GIFs are off limits.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                        Dear Chargers Fans,

Take a Chill Pill.

:stirringshit:

:beer:
                        lol i remember that shit.

the Chargers PR at that time was so out of touch with the fans.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Guilty, sorry about that. I looked for many others but that particular one was best for how i felt at the time lol. OK, even politician GIFs are off limits.
                          Yeah even gifs will create a flame war. Just how extreme its become. I try to run a 100% politics free forum now. lol

Thanks dude.

Comment

Working...
                          X