• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Damn MI signed for 4 mill to be their 2nd string depth pass rusher? He could easily get 5 sacks at less than 1 mill per sack.

Penei I thought would dominate MI. Not the case. In the meantime Bosa is giving Slater props for hanging with him.
    Remember, Ingram had ZERO sacks last year...he does bring some pressure at times, I'll give him that, but he just can't close the gap between pressure and sack...and he even had Bosa opposite him, so no excuses...he's getting old and has apparently lost a step...or two...or...

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Remember, Ingram had ZERO sacks last year...he does bring some pressure at times, I'll give him that, but he just can't close the gap between pressure and sack...and he even had Bosa opposite him, so no excuses...he's getting old and has apparently lost a step...or two...or...
      Since when were sacks important to Bradley? He wouldn't allow the DEs to fire off and go after the QB, they had to play the run first. Because the rest of the D was standing on the goal line.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

Last year Ingram came in out of shape it seemed. He certainly looked heavier than he had been in years, which was no doubt disappointing. Overall though, he has otherwise been solid and reliable over the last several years of so. I figured he would be highly motivated this year playing for a potential multi-year contract deal and to show that he is still relevant.

I also understand the resentment that he would come into camp last year not in better shape, especially considering his salary last year.

I have no problem eating crow over Darrisaw who I really liked before the draft. It appears to be the correct move by Telesco now to have grabbed Slater at 13 I believe, instead of trading down like the Vikings to acquire Darrisaw and additional picks. Getting a very solid LT trumps all of those additional picks the Vikings got.. I am almost certain that the Vikings would not have passed on Slater if he had still been available.

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

I believe he'll come in fresh as a situational pass rusher.......for a team that lead the NFL in team sacks the past 4 years now.

Food for thought: The Rams were in the top 5 in team sacks the past 2 seasons. Staley!!!

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Sacks statistics fluctuate a lot from year to year. Even among HOF caliber players. They are a really, really poor way to judge pass rush.

Pressure is a far better measure of what player is really effective.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Sacks statistics fluctuate a lot from year to year. Even among HOF caliber players. They are a really, really poor way to judge pass rush.

Pressure is a far better measure of what player is really effective.
              Especially in this era of mobile QBs.

There has to be some containment.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

It sucks because it is an individual stat for a team activity. There is a lot that goes into getting the QB down on the ground, and while it is easy to give credit to the guy who actually gets the tackle, everyone has to do their job to give the pass rusher the chance to get the QB.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

One thing that happens with mobile QB's is the O line blocks the rusher right into the QB for the sack because the QB is not where he is supposed to be.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                    One thing that happens with mobile QB's is the O line blocks the rusher right into the QB for the sack because the QB is not where he is supposed to be.
                    First thing that comes to mind is Russell Wilson. Sacked 394 times. Ciara must be jealous.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

First thing that comes to mind is Russell Wilson. Sacked 394 times. Ciara must be jealous.
                      For a long time the greatest running QB of all time, Randall Cunningham held the record for being sacked most in a season. He is high on the all time list as well.

All time sacked Leaders
                      Brett Favre+ 525 1991-2010 4TM
                      Tom Brady 521 2000-2020 2TM
                      John Elway+ 516 1983-1998 den
                      Ben Roethlisberger 516 2004-2020 pit
                      Dave Krieg 494 1980-1998 6TM
                      Randall Cunningham 484 1985-2001 4TM
                      Phil Simms 477 1979-1993 nyg
                      Aaron Rodgers 468 2005-2020 gn

There are a lot of very mobile QB's on that list.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

And Tom Brady.

They all played 15+ seasons. Maybe sack rate is a better metric?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

For a long time the greatest running QB of all time, Randall Cunningham held the record for being sacked most in a season. He is high on the all time list as well.

All time sacked Leaders
                          Brett Favre+ 525 1991-2010 4TM
                          Tom Brady 521 2000-2020 2TM
                          John Elway+ 516 1983-1998 den
                          Ben Roethlisberger 516 2004-2020 pit
                          Dave Krieg 494 1980-1998 6TM
                          Randall Cunningham 484 1985-2001 4TM
                          Phil Simms 477 1979-1993 nyg
                          Aaron Rodgers 468 2005-2020 gn

There are a lot of very mobile QB's on that list.
                          There’s a lot of guys who were starters for more than 15 years, too.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X