Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

at just under a mill JG is a steal and no-brainer to keep on the roster. even after the RFA tender and he gets 2.5m I'd still keep him on the roster unless someone shows up from the undrafted pool this year or next that shows more.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

I’m just glad we don’t have any WRs that run sub-4.6 40s. I mean what would we do if we had a slow WR like Cooper Kupp?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I noticed it, and i already anticipated Chaincrusher's response which would require 3 pages:

Guyton has such a big cushion because of his Usain Bolt type speed.
        At the end of the day, separation is separation (what part do you not understand about that?).

More difficult to explain would be why Guyton's YAC is so small after all that separation, given one poster's claim that Guyton has exceptional running ability and contact balance.
        Guyton has little YAC ability. Running a end around and heading for the sideline, anybody can do. They used him for that In case he gets the edge and it's well blocked.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Uh huh, That's what I thought.

Slide to 13:35 on this vid, and tell me again Guyton is incapable of YAC. Guyton was an undrafted developmental project. He has developed nicely, he turned 25 last month and is just entering his prime. WRs who are No. 4 on the depth chart don't do what Guyton does. You keep wanting to compare to a No. 1 or No. 2 receiver. But he's a No. 4, and there isn't a better No. 4 WR in the league. That is why I say the Chargers have the deepest WR corps in the league.

That's all ya got for him?

I don't want to bad mouth Guyton. He is a nice option to have imo. But he isn't getting any higher than #4.

I have argued countless times about others being better WRs than him being 4th on depth charts and you never offer a counter lol.
          I take that to mean you aren't real familiar with other teams WRs which if that is the case, why make that statement?
          Guyton is not the best #4 in the league, but I truly am glad we have him but wouldn't stop trying to upgrade.
          And he is up there somewhere for a #4, just not the best.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-25-2022, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That's all ya got for him?

I don't want to bad mouth Guyton. He is a nice option to have imo. But he isn't getting any higher than #4.

I have argued countless times about others being better WRs than him being 4th on depth charts and you never offer a counter lol.
            I take that to mean you aren't real familiar with other teams WRs which of that is the case, why make that statement?
            Guyton is not the best #4 in the league, but I truly am glad we have him but wouldn't stop trying to upgrade.
            And he is up there somewhere for a #4, just not the best.
            All this.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
              I’m just glad we don’t have any WRs that run sub-4.6 40s. I mean what would we do if we had a slow WR like Cooper Kupp?
              Or Jerry Rice? Or Charlie Joyner? There's SOOO much more to playing wide receiver than speed. JG does fit in well with the rest of the group though, and provides a dimension we otherwise don't have. As WR 4 and at just under 1 mil in salary we're not going to get a better receiver, and I think he's set up to have a better year than last year. He's definitely a keeper to fulfill the role as the 'take the top off the defense' guy.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The term "separation" speaks for itself. We do not have to guess. I have posted the actual average separation stats, which are kept. Among Chargers, Guyton had the best separation and Palmer tied for the worst. It is simple as that.

Your argument about elite measurables is 1) not what I have suggested, and 2) faulty argumentation. The reason why NFL teams desire elite measurables is that they tend to coincide with better WRs. There are exceptions, but there are a lot more guys without elite measurables that do not make it in the league than there are with elite measurables. For every Steve Largent you raise, I can find 100 players with a similar athletic profile that did not make it. We see them in TCs and in preseason games every year and every year they get cut.

Further, I have used the term "elite traits" not elite measurables. Allen really does not have any elite elite measurables, but he does have an elite trait. Other than size, which is a plus trait for Mike Williams, but maybe not an elite trait, Williams has no elite measurables, but he has a couple of elite traits.

Palmer could be telepathically connected to Herbert and I do not think it would help him all that much with his lack of separation skills. I do not see Palmer having any elite traits.

By contrast, Antonio Brown was a little faster than Palmer (close, but barely faster) and had way better moves, which is why he returned kicks for the Steelers, including returning 4 punts for TDs. Really, Brown was pretty much the opposite of Palmer when it comes to moves.
                You keep using "statistics" (it really needs the quotes for the NexGen site) like a drunk uses a lamp post. For support instead of illumination. your statistical illiteracy is astounding.

I would not call any of those things on NexGen stats actual statistics. They are really measurements, and not well described at that. They have a very simplistic definition and it leaves PLENTY to the imagination. They are like the stats in a box score, particularly baseball box scores. They don't mean much, if anything. They are just easy to count, so the NFL keeps them.

The separation is biased towards fast downfield receivers. Has to be, it favors guys who run by the defender and really biases towards fast receivers. It also doesn't tell you anything about plays where the ball goes somewhere else, which is much more important for guys like Guyton and Palmer, since they need to get OPEN MORE. It only tells you when the QB throws to them, which is another big bias, since QB tend to favor the top guys, and only throw to the other guys when they develop the confidence.

The Palmer thing is your OPINION. Again, you seem to disagree with most of the others on this page and the Chargers coaching staff.

As far as the guys with elite qualities vs non-elite qualities, they are both 100 guys who fail vs 1 guy who makes it. You need to try harder. Your grasp of stats and proportion are simply dreadful.

Again, the Brown vs Palmer thing, if you watched Brown as a rookie, he was no where near the guy later in his career (which I assume is now over). Palmer may lack ability as a route runner, but he can still get better. There is a reason NFL teams ... you known ... practice.

And elite elite .... what the fuck is that supposed to mean. One elite is all that is necessary.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

You keep using "statistics" (it really needs the quotes for the NexGen site) like a drunk uses a lamp post. For support instead of illumination. your statistical illiteracy is astounding.

I would not call any of those things on NexGen stats actual statistics. They are really measurements, and not well described at that. They have a very simplistic definition and it leaves PLENTY to the imagination. They are like the stats in a box score, particularly baseball box scores. They don't mean much, if anything. They are just easy to count, so the NFL keeps them.

The separation is biased towards fast downfield receivers. Has to be, it favors guys who run by the defender and really biases towards fast receivers. It also doesn't tell you anything about plays where the ball goes somewhere else, which is much more important for guys like Guyton and Palmer, since they need to get OPEN MORE. It only tells you when the QB throws to them, which is another big bias, since QB tend to favor the top guys, and only throw to the other guys when they develop the confidence.

The Palmer thing is your OPINION. Again, you seem to disagree with most of the others on this page and the Chargers coaching staff.

As far as the guys with elite qualities vs non-elite qualities, they are both 100 guys who fail vs 1 guy who makes it. You need to try harder. Your grasp of stats and proportion are simply dreadful.

Again, the Brown vs Palmer thing, if you watched Brown as a rookie, he was no where near the guy later in his career (which I assume is now over). Palmer may lack ability as a route runner, but he can still get better. There is a reason NFL teams ... you known ... practice.

And elite elite .... what the fuck is that supposed to mean. One elite is all that is necessary.

That's what a person who doesnt know anything about football comes up with lol.

I coined him "Stat Guy" months ago.

And I'll also add for Al Davis' love of fast WRs , it's ironic his best WR of all is still the no speed, Fred Bilitnickoff.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Did you really just post this? The above quoted post has to be the worst, mind numbingly lame post I have read this year and there have been some doozies. But this one takes the prize.
                    Not a fan of this type of posting. Lets stop with the personal attacks.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Utah
                      • Midnight Toker
                      • Send PM

The above quoted post has to be the worst, mind numbingly lame post I have read this year and there have been some doozies. But this one takes the prize.
                      My god this is max level 999999 irony right here. :cartman::rimshot::mcnugget::mcnugget:

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

C'mon we are better than this.
                        Camp opens tomorrow.
                        This is the most optimistic Charger projection in decades.
                        Staley talks about not "talent" but "toughness, "discipline, "physicallity."
                        Let's not be self indulgent.
                        Let's have a championship level TPB forum.
                        I implore you brothers, sisters and children.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Your post is ridiculous. The issue discussed was when Allen had developed his elite ability to get open. It was clearly present in early 2014 even if an elite CB gave him trouble from time to time (which prime Chris Harris did as well). My belief is that it was also present in 2013 in his rookie season. Allen caught 71 passes for 1046 yards and 8 TDs as a rookie in 2013. Palmer's rookie output bears zero resemblance to Allen's. Allen always has had an elite trait. Palmer lacks any such trait.
                          You fail miserably to realize that Keenan Allen got those opportunities in 2013 because the top two receivers (Danario Alexander and Malcom Floyd) got injured. Joshua Palmer caught 33 passes for 353 yards and four touchdowns with two Pro Bowl-caliber receivers ahead of him. Who knows what he would have done if Allen and Mike Williams went down for the season? I guess you do, since you've already determined that Palmer won't amount to anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X