Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Palmer could work out if Allen or Williams got injured. I would not play him with Allen and Williams, though.
    Since Williams is always beat up and on the last year of his contract, this is needed depth. The fact that the team sees it as a need and was willing to spend a high draft pick on him should tell us something.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Since Williams is always beat up and on the last year of his contract, this is needed depth. The fact that the team sees it as a need and was willing to spend a high draft pick on him should tell us something.

Snap counts for last year. Plenty of need for a backup of both KA and MW.

Palmer wasn't my first choice but...ah whatever, nevermind. Is it fall yet?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Let’s just agree to disagree. We obviously view the skill sets and production of Palmer and MW differently, don’t think either of us will change our minds until we see something different on the field either. As long as we both agree that we want every player on this team to play to their max abilities the rest doesn’t matter. I respect your conviction regardless.

Drafts over.... can we please play some games now?

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
            Let’s just agree to disagree. We obviously view the skill sets and production of Palmer and MW differently, don’t think either of us will change our minds until we see something different on the field either. As long as we both agree that we want every player on this team to play to their max abilities the rest doesn’t matter. I respect your conviction regardless.

Drafts over.... can we please play some games now?
            I don’t mind the back and forth since there’s nothing until July, barring a new signing.

Comment

• DragonIce
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2021
              • Arizona
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
              If the new coaches are not going to incorporate the deep passing attack into the offense with a couple of young fliers and Herbert's cannon of an arm, then we can just go ahead and fire them all right now before the season begins. I seriously doubt that they would be that stupid based upon what I have read about Staley.
              Over-react much?

Our highest needs in the draft were Tackle and DB. Had that not been the case I'm sure the team might have loved to have grabbed a Waddle type threat.

David Jeremiah said he viewed Palmer as 3rd or 4th round pick. PFF raved on the selection. On some Senior Bowl plays where I watched he didn't seem like he could separate, and in others I saw him break ankles and run away from guys. I will note on the plays where he wasn't separating there was a ton of borderline contact by DB.

The greatest offensive mind in footall, Kyle Shanahan says, "receivers must be able to block and willing to block". Maybe that has a bit to do with this selection as well. If we are going to deploy more screens, reverses, etc....this is particularly important.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I think that is a bit irrelevant. YPC is a good stat, but not when the player is catching only 3 to 4 balls a game. MW has never lived up to his 1 round pick. He's had a couple decent games against the Chiefs.

He simply hasn't lived up to the 7th overall pick. He will be gone when his contract is up.
                Williams would have caught several shitloads of passes more if Keenan Allen wasn't habitually open. I'm not saying he's a great receiver, but I do definitily feel that he'd be an asset to almost any team (including ours). Now, I don't think that Williams is a 15 mil player. If we re-sign him, I wouldn't offer that much. Glad we are thinking a year ahead with Palmer.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t mind the back and forth since there’s nothing until July, barring a new signing.
                  Well that fits right into crusher’s posting. He’ll argue a point to the end. Annoying but I admit I find it one of his best qualities. He has conviction.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t mind going back and forth until I feel like I’m repeating myself. I view MW as a legit deep threat that teams have to respect with their coverages and chaincrusher doesn’t see it the same way. That’s the lynchpin of his desire for speed out wide from how I’m understanding it. I would agree with his views more if I also felt MW had no deep value, but I think defenses do play to cover him over the top more often than not.

I also like equivocation’s point of just having Palmer out there to give MW and Keenan a breather. We all saw Keenan missing time at the end of the season, and I think a big part of that was the sheer volume of work coming his way. MW doesn’t miss a ton of time, outside his rookie season, but always seems to play dinged up due to his style of play. I respect and appreciate it but we want both those guys as healthy as possible come January.

Another thing I’ve mentioned before is Herbert’s experience with sub par WR at Oregon vs what we have to work with. I think one of the big reason MW didn’t have much consistent production until the end of the year is that Herbert had no real experience throwing to a big WR like that before last year. At Oregon he had undersized quick twitch guys, some with long speed. A lot of tunnel screens and deep balls down the sideline, not a lot of working the middle of the field or putting the WR in a position to just go battle the DBs. Herbert was learning during the season how to take advantage of a WR like Williams. Johnson and Guyton were running those deep routes that he was used to and Keenan makes so much space for himself that it’s hard NOT to look his way consistently. Henry was working familiar TE concepts for Herbert as well. Palmer I think is going to give Herbert some options in the shallow to midrange much like Keenan earlier on, with a chance to develop his deep game over time. I think the team was hoping to get some of that from Hill last year but his severe lack of speed made even that tough. Unless Hill drastically improves his route running, which was already the best part of his game, I just don’t see him making the roster.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I think that is a bit irrelevant. YPC is a good stat, but not when the player is catching only 3 to 4 balls a game. MW has never lived up to his 1 round pick. He's had a couple decent games against the Chiefs.

He simply hasn't lived up to the 7th overall pick. He will be gone when his contract is up.
                      How many deep threats are catching 8-9 passes a game? Defenses adjust. If you’re hitting those deep passes 3 or 4 times a game then defenses drop coverages just like crusher is talking about wanting. So if MW is changing the coverages he’s having the same effect as those speedsters, which was my whole point. I’m not talking about his production vs his salary or draft stock, that’s a whole different argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

Over-react much?

Our highest needs in the draft were Tackle and DB. Had that not been the case I'm sure the team might have loved to have grabbed a Waddle type threat.

David Jeremiah said he viewed Palmer as 3rd or 4th round pick. PFF raved on the selection. On some Senior Bowl plays where I watched he didn't seem like he could separate, and in others I saw him break ankles and run away from guys. I will note on the plays where he wasn't separating there was a ton of borderline contact by DB.

The greatest offensive mind in footall, Kyle Shanahan says, "receivers must be able to block and willing to block". Maybe that has a bit to do with this selection as well. If we are going to deploy more screens, reverses, etc....this is particularly important.
                        No. It is not an overreaction to suggest that if the team would not be throwing the ball deep, the coaches need to be fired immediately. That approach would be every bit as much of a failure to take the right approach as Lynn's ground and pound would be. We have Herbert, Guyton, Johnson and Williams. Throwing the ball down the field with those assets should be included as part of the offense.

I never advocated for a high draft pick WR--did not want that. I liked our picks in rounds 1 and 2 based upon the board at the time. We could have not selected a WR or taken a different one then or later. It was our deepest position on the roster, though, before Palmer.

I just do not like Palmer as WR#3 with Allen and Williams. That is a bad fit. Other players could have been selected that may have avoided that issue.

As I stated to another poster and will now ask you, what do you think is the difference in blocking between the 6' 1" and 210 pound Palmer and the 6' 1" and 212 pound Guyton? I did not see anything about Palmer that suggested that he was a great blocker for his size or that Guyton could not block for his size. That is not why Palmer was selected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

How many deep threats are catching 8-9 passes a game? Defenses adjust. If you’re hitting those deep passes 3 or 4 times a game then defenses drop coverages just like crusher is talking about wanting. So if MW is changing the coverages he’s having the same effect as those speedsters, which was my whole point. I’m not talking about his production vs his salary or draft stock, that’s a whole different argument.
                          MW is not changing coverages because they do not have to change from squatting to cover him. That is my point which you seem to have overlooked. That, on the other hand, would be a bad defensive approach with guys like Guyton and Johnson who can run by defenders.

Comment

Working...
                          X