Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I only know Palmer from watching his highlights. His routes do look good to me. But what bothers me is that in spite of the routes he doesn’t separate much. So his ball skliis are pretty necessary.

TG
    Right. I just posted about this very point before I saw your post. Even against college level defenders, the guy does not gain very much separation.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I do not agree with what the Tennessee guy is saying about Palmer. Contrary to his statement, I do not see Palmer as a reliable option. Specifically, even in his video highlights (not the video you posted), which I watched, he usually has very little separation. He simply looks easier to cover than most NFL WRs. Also, I observed that the Tennessee QBs that have been ragged on in the media as an excuse for Palmer's lack of production actually made a number of well placed throws on passes to Palmer where the coverage was on him. Palmer does not resemble the Alabama and LSU WRs that have frequently been running alone in a pasture in recent seasons.
      You’ve stated that same opinion multiple times. Just go back and read your other posts in this thread.
      Obviously the Charger’s staff and many others outside of this forum, that watch more than highlight reels, see JP differently.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• madcaplaughs
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Right. I just posted about this very point before I saw your post. Even against college level defenders, the guy does not gain very much separation.
        what are you watching? He fakes the crap out of very good DB's. Blocks well too. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

So what leads to separation? Clearly athleticism plays a role, but it’s also very clear that it’s not everything. So then there is a component related to route running. Perhaps the coaching staff looked at him and see ways that he can be coached that will lead to better separation. If he can’t get better separation than what the film shows, I can’t seem him on the roster 4-5 years from now.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

"What is separation" is a question that is very defensive scheme dependent. A lot of the highlights I saw of him he was over/under bracketed on the sideline which...ehere is he supposed to separate?

If NFL D's are bracketing Palmer then we're winning.

In zone it's about finding and sitting in soft spots. In man it's about getting the DB to commit hips 8n the wrong direction and then snapping.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

You’ve stated that same opinion multiple times. Just go back and read your other posts in this thread.
              Obviously the Charger’s staff and many others outside of this forum, that watch more than highlight reels, see JP differently.
              Man, after this last draft I feel we're getting stronger now plus all the free agency additions. I'm in the encampment that our previous coaching staff was clueless in how to organize our existing players plus didn't know how to maximize their talents. Deano is going to be in shock how different things are gonna be...Chaincrusher just needs to go along for the ride and stop worrying about one pick one way or another. LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

what are you watching? He fakes the crap out of very good DB's. Blocks well too. I'm excited to see what he can do.
                He gets next to zero separation and struggles against press coverage. I see that Zierlein noted both issues in his draft profile of Palmer, which makes sense since they are as plain as day obvious. Even on his highlights on play after play the defender is there and he is making a contested catch. On some of those plays, I was more impressed with the pass than I was the reception.

What makes you think he is a good blocker? Other than him having long arms, I see nothing that makes him stand out as a blocker. He is basically the same size as Guyton and he is coming off of a shoulder injury (which was his excuse for not doing the bench press at his pro day).

Comment

• Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Man, after this last draft I feel we're getting stronger now plus all the free agency additions. I'm in the encampment that our previous coaching staff was clueless in how to organize our existing players plus didn't know how to maximize their talents. Deano is going to be in shock how different things are gonna be...Chaincrusher just needs to go along for the ride and stop worrying about one pick one way or another. LOL!

I thought we had a good draft overall. There were just some real reaches in round 3 where we did not get good value for our pick based upon the consensus draft positions of the players taken. We were noticeably off in round 3.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Man, after this last draft I feel we're getting stronger now plus all the free agency additions.

Yeah yeah yeah only accept.........

"During the 2018 World Cup, it is reported the German Squad was forced to adhere to a “sex ban.” Mike Tyson apparently abstained from sex for 5 years during his career. Mike was following in the footsteps of “The Greatest,” Muhammad Ali who also gave up sex for long periods before each fight in fear it would weaken him."

#HerbertPleaseStayaVirginSoweCanwinaSB!

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Had to go back and look at some Joe Reed college highlights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7TGxGmXDpo

Talk about being underutilized as a Charger thus far. I noticed he's up to 224lbs now on a 6-0 frame. Not sure he's going to beat other WRs out for a starting spot. Guys think he can convert to RB?
                      He’s a safety.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        He’s a safety.

“Putting on this uniform is definitely a dream come true,” Reed said. “Growing up, I just wanted to play professional ball. Coming home after church and watching football and now finally being able to put this uniform on today, especially on Sunday and being able to come out here and compete, just loving the speed of the game and the physicality. We’ve been waiting a long time, especially this year it seems like this offseason has been going on forever so just having a chance to come out here and compete with my teammates has been a true blessing.”

Dammit Telesco!! We need players with cases. Slappin baby mamas, smoking weed for fake cataracts, punching teammates in the groin. At the very least steal crab legs!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

As I’ve said before Reed’s route tree was limited coming in so he needed to be coached up significantly.
                          I was more surprised that they didn’t design plays to get the ball in his hands though. He is dynamic there.
                          I still have high hopes for Joe but I’ve been wrong more than a few times about prospects.
                          i wasn’t. He’ a back-of-draft JAG, there was never going to be a special game plan just for him.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X