Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

To chainy’s point, I think we all have an idea or feeling when a “reach” has been made. No, we don’t know the Chargers big board, no we don’t have all the information but we can call em as we see em.
    We all knew (on some level) that Pipkins, Mager and now Mckitty was a reach to some degree

I am okay feeling uneasy and perhaps a bit anxious about these “reaches” provided that relative to Telesco and everyone involved, I don’t know shit.
    BUT
    If you’re going to “reach” you better damn well knock that out of the park MOST of the time. If not, I’d rather see us pick someone more generally rated hire and give them a chance to sink or swim.

if McKitty doesn’t live up to his third round selection, it’s more disappointing to me than if a legitimate (consensus) 3rd round prospect doesn’t live up to it. At least we have good reason to believe that the former wouldn’t have been there rounders later.
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

They may be a reach to us but none of us really know jack shit. Including chaincrusher who loudly and repeatedly claimed that Bosa was a terrible choice and Joshua Perry would out perform him. Y’all remember Joshua Perry?

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Lots were high on Josh Perry, mr leader at Ohio st
        including Bosa when he announced the pick himself said, “oh this is a good one”
        good times
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think 80% of Americans are below average, Putting me high into the top 10%. Yeah, that good.

I look forward to seeing these gems / worst picks ever on a football field. They both look like football players to me, I thought Tremble looked stiff as a 2x4 personally, he reminds me of a Jacob Hester TE. He was drafted so we’ll get to find out.

but I’ve seen TT’s Rd3 record like the rest of you. Maybe he’s on a 7 yr cycle and its yr 8? KA 2.0 Boom! Or not. Pfffft.
          Nice. Boom.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Public opinion is not a true assessment of evidence. The public in general is moronic, uneducated, and easily manipulated. See the last 5 years as an example.
            That cost you some previously earned thought capital you had earned here.
            Here is a perfect example over 80% of Americans think they are above average. Now that is comical.

Tre McKitty was rated a top 7 TE prospect by Bucky Brooks (5), Sporting News (6), SI (6), Fan Nation (6), PFN (7).
            He also had an injured knee he was still rehabbing heading into the 2020 season. He’s now healthy.

No one is every going to happy with all the picks a team makes.
            You’re opinion is yours to have.
            If you done all the film work (6 full games minimum over at least 2 seasons), prospect background research, athletic profile projection, and factor in QB play/team offensive philosophy then you’re opinion should be valued. If not you’re just pissing into the wind.

Two different NFL scouts on McKitty and they see things differently.......

“He’s a little bit of a project who has a lot of upside,” said one scout. “He’s not a freakish athlete, but you see enough traits in there. Nice (catching) radius, big hands. He competed as a blocker.”

“He wasn’t used well enough at Georgia,” a second scout said. “Athletically, it looks like he belongs. He’s going to need some work. He’s more of a receiving tight end than an in-line blocker.”
            When I speak of "public opinion", I am speaking of those who regularly study NFL players and assign ranks to them, not to some Joe Hillbilly out there, but you can keep your ridiculous (80% of Americans think BS when I am not even talking about regular people that do not carefully study the players) strawman if that helps you to defend a vulnerable position.

Since you bypassed the problem with your approach, let me pin the tail on that donkey. If the position is weak in a given draft year, you can be the 6th or 7th rated TE and still not be worthy of a third round pick. For example, The Athletic's consensus big board, one of the kinder ones to McKitty, had him ranked as TE7, but #163 overall, which falls in the back half of the non-compensatory portion of the fifth round. Drafttek had McKitty ranked #196 (early to mid 6th round). CBS had McKitty ranked as TE7, but ranked #212 overall (late 6th round pick). PFF had McKitty ranked #246 overall (late 7th round pick). nfl.com did not give a number rank, but if you scroll through the pages, you can clearly see McKitty's numerical score on page 16 (players ranked #301-#320), which is tied for #304 overall (UDFA level player).

So please show me the sources outside of our team's folly that had McKitty as a top 100 player (we took him at #97) because I have yet to see a single one.

Among the sources you cited, The Sporting News had McKitty ranked #7 among TEs (not #6) and not in their top 100. SI had McKitty ranked #142. PFN had McKitty ranked #144. I did not see big boards from the other sources you cited. So even among the sources you cite, the very best you have come up with is the tail end of the 4th round compensatory picks some 45 picks after we actually selected McKitty. And that is the most friendly big board.

You know, maybe all of those evaluative sources that analyze the draft every year are all wrong, and not just wrong, but spectacularly wrong and wildly off base, which they would have to be for the pick in question not to be a huge reach, but I kind of doubt that they are.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2021, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

When I speak of "public opinion", I am speaking of those who regularly study NFL players and assign ranks to them, not to some Joe Hillbilly out there, but you can keep your ridiculous (80% of Americans think BS when I am not even talking about regular people that do not carefully study the players) strawman if that helps you to defend a vulnerable position.

Since you bypassed the problem with your approach, let me pin the tail on that donkey. If the position is weak in a given draft year, you can be the 6th or 7th rated TE and still not be worthy of a third round pick. For example, The Athletic's consensus big board, one of the kinder ones to McKitty, had him ranked as TE7, but #163 overall, which falls in the back half of the non-compensatory portion of the fifth round. Drafttek had McKitty ranked #196 (early to mid 6th round). CBS had McKitty ranked as TE7, but ranked #212 overall (late 6th round pick). PFF had McKitty ranked #246 overall (late 7th round pick). nfl.com did not give a number rank, but if you scroll through the pages, you can clearly see McKitty's numerical score on page 16 (players ranked #301-#320), which is tied for #304 overall (UDFA level player).

So please show me the sources outside of our team's folly that had McKitty as a top 100 player (we took him at #97) because I have yet to see a single one.

Among the sources you cited, The Sporting News had McKitty ranked #7 among TEs (not #6) and not in their top 100. SI had McKitty ranked #142. PFN had McKitty ranked #144. I did not see big boards from the other sources you cited. So even among the sources you cite, the every best you have come up with is the tail end of the 4th round compensatory picks some 45 picks after we actually selected McKitty. And that is the most friendly big board.

You know, maybe all of those evaluative sources that analyze the draft every year are all wrong, and not just wrong, but spectacularly wrong and wildly off base, which they would have to be for the pick in question not to be a huge reach, but I kind of doubt that they are.
              When you are shown to be incorrect again which you will be, well all just public mock you.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                They may be a reach to us but none of us really know jack shit. Including chaincrusher who loudly and repeatedly claimed that Bosa was a terrible choice and Joshua Perry would out perform him. Y’all remember Joshua Perry?
                Oh, I was wrong about Bosa for sure. I believe I said that Perry would be the better value pick (not the better player outright). I was still wrong, but I valued Bosa as a second half of the first round pick if I recall correctly, not as a top 3 pick. I thought Perry had good value as a 4th round pick. I was wrong about both initial impressions. I also stated that Bosa would not be the best pick from Ohio State that year and that one is up for debate (Bosa versus Elliott). Technically, you could argue that I was right about Bosa not being a top 3 player since Hill, Thomas and Elliott (and maybe Ramsey) were in that draft, but I have acknowledged many times that I underrated Bosa (whether he is the 3rd, 4th or 5th best player from that draft).

Of course, in that case, Bosa proved the pundits right, not wrong as we are hoping McKitty does.

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

When you are shown to be incorrect again which you will be, well all just public mock you.
                  And that is fair enough and even welcomed because I hope I do get to be wrong about McKitty and Palmer, though if I am going to be wrong, I think my odds are better that I will get to be wrong about Palmer (not as much of a reach).

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

And that is fair enough and even welcomed because I hope I do get to be wrong about McKitty and Palmer, though if I am going to be wrong, I think my odds are better that I will get to be wrong about Palmer (not as much of a reach).
                    I’m still hoping to be wrong about Tillery. Year 3 with Staley makes a big difference.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      Lots were high on Josh Perry, mr leader at Ohio st
                      including Bosa when he announced the pick himself said, “oh this is a good one”
                      good times
                      Perry was slower than shit. Slow to react and slow once he decided to move. Bosa has no future as an NFL Scout, i guess?
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Are people really going to bat for TT on his middle round picks? I don't think it's outrageous to suggest he has made several reaches in the past. Between questionable trade ups limiting the number of mid round picks he's made and his reaches our lack of ability to develop talent this team has lacked the depth necessary to compete. That's how a team with top 7 cap space still goes into the draft needing not only to pick up several immediate starters, but several rotation pieces that need to contribute this year.

How many picks has TT made after round one that are on their second contact with the Chargers right now? He has Allen. There are also several guys who were decent and signed elsewhere, and he's done quite well with UDFAs. He's been really good in the first round, I think. It just seems weird to argue that TT is awesome at evaluating talent and understanding value of players available after the first couple of rounds.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Oh, I was wrong about Bosa for sure. I believe I said that Perry would be the better value pick (not the better player outright). I was still wrong, but I valued Bosa as a second half of the first round pick if I recall correctly, not as a top 3 pick. I thought Perry had good value as a 4th round pick. I was wrong about both initial impressions. I also stated that Bosa would not be the best pick from Ohio State that year and that one is up for debate (Bosa versus Elliott). Technically, you could argue that I was right about Bosa not being a top 3 player since Hill, Thomas and Elliott (and maybe Ramsey) were in that draft, but I have acknowledged many times that I underrated Bosa (whether he is the 3rd, 4th or 5th best player from that draft).

Of course, in that case, Bosa proved the pundits right, not wrong as we are hoping McKitty does.
                          It happens. I was high on Lamp and Feeney both, as were just about all the draftniks...then, injuries to Lamp, and Feeney just didn't pan out...meanwhile, someone like Lindsley gets drafted in round 5 and becomes a Pro-Bowler...go figure...

Comment

Working...
                          X