• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustAnotherFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

The team is currently 3-1 in 1 score games.
    That is a huge departure from the past.

Credit where credit is due, if you put Staley down for the bad Charger defense (and it IS bad), you have to praise him for changing the culture of the Charges to one of a team that wins close games.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
      The team is currently 3-1 in 1 score games.
      That is a huge departure from the past.

Credit where credit is due, if you put Staley down for the bad Charger defense (and it IS bad), you have to praise him for changing the culture of the Charges to one of a team that wins close games.
      Because the other team missed a field goal? Nah, that’s nothing to praise the coach for. That’s just the fickle finger of fate.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Because the other team missed a field goal? Nah, that’s nothing to praise the coach for. That’s just the fickle finger of fate.
        And we'd be 5-2 if our CB doesn't drop one of 2 gimme interceptions Mahomes tried to give us. Games come down to execution - do it and win, don't and lose.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And we'd be 5-2 if our CB doesn't drop one of 2 gimme interceptions Mahomes tried to give us. Games come down to execution - do it and win, don't and lose.
          execution comes from players as well as coaches though dont you think? Just because a coach calls something and it wasnt executed doesnt mean it was a good call. time management, constantly using analytics without a feel for the game, not getting a feel of the O or the D?...that isnt player execution.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

execution comes from players as well as coaches though dont you think? Just because a coach calls something and it wasnt executed doesnt mean it was a good call. time management, constantly using analytics without a feel for the game, not getting a feel of the O or the D?...that isnt player execution.
            You can play the what if game about all kinds of play calls, execution, use of times outs, and every aspect of every game, but in the end, we are 4-3. Staley is not a perfect coach by any means but he does have a really beat up team 4-3. You are what your record says you are.

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

In looking at Tampa bay, Todd Bowels coaching and team look very similar to whats going down here! Both HC's coming off of DC positions and both D's look off! I wonder what that's all about?

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

You can play the what if game about all kinds of play calls, execution, use of times outs, and every aspect of every game, but in the end, we are 4-3. Staley is not a perfect coach by any means but he does have a really beat up team 4-3. You are what your record says you are.
                No offense, but this is a cop out.
                It's much easier to see when a player fouls up but if you're not looking at coaching mistakes then imo you're not being fair.

You can't say that "coaching matters" and avoid evaluating coaching, even if it's not as clear as player-executuon.
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

It's much easier to see when a player fouls up but if you're not looking at coaching mistakes then imo you're not being fair.

You can't say that "coaching matters" and avoid evaluating coaching, even if it's not as clear as player-executuon.
                  You can look at it as a cop out, but in the end, the only thing that really matters is our won loss record. If someone would have given you the list of players who are on IR, who have missed multiple games, and those playing hurt and then told you we would still make the playoffs if they started today I'd bet most people would give some credit to the coaching staff. Instead what we have is massive complaints about Staley and Lombardi. I'll repeat, Staley is not a perfect coach by any means (meaning he has made mistakes) but we are somehow 4-3. Lombardi's hands are massively tied on what plays he can call given the people out, beat up line, beat up QB and lack of roster speed yet people somehow want to unleash Herbert and throw deep every play. Some of the criticism makes no sense. Some is valid. He won't be fired mid-season and neither will Lombardi. They will be judged by how the team does down the stretch. If we truly end up 6-11 like some of the doom and gloom crew think Staley probably should be fired. If we make the playoffs, he'll definitely be back. If we hover around last year's record, I have no idea what to expect. If Staley isn't fired, than Lombardi won't be either, IMO.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I can't evaluate coaching in any depth without total access- which for me is impossible. We all can evaluate snapshots, primarily by results.
                    Success = good coaching, failure =, bad coaching. but how much was player talent + hard work? or player disability due to injury?
                    I vote season W - L as the definitive measure of coaching. Not a playcall or a collection of examples, not any one game. For me it's season W-L.
                    Then we can argue about not making the SB with a 14-2 team.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

It is a cop out. Much of Staley's decision-making this season has been inexcusable. Keeping Herbert on the field late in convincing losses against Jacksonville and Seattle is what's frustrating me the most.Kansas City was also bewildering to me, but I can somewhat understand not knowing the severity of the injury because it just happened. Herbert doesn't look well right now, and to keep him out there when the game is clearly over is downright stupid.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                        In looking at Tampa bay, Todd Bowels coaching and team look very similar to whats going down here! Both HC's coming off of DC positions and both D's look off! I wonder what that's all about?
                        could they be stretched too thin trying to call D as well as being HC? I dunno Bowles' situation but it looks that way with bs.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

We are 4-3, yes. but realistically at best that record should be reversed. I cant say we are really TERRIBLE but we are definitely not a good team with how inconsistent the team is. Funny thing is the ST has been the most consistent! When could you last say that? Ficken FTW the rest of the season!

Comment

Working...
                          X