• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Uchenna Nwosu is leading the league in pressures.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/10/2...ressures-stats

So Staley, who is supposed to be a defensive guru didn’t see value in Nwosu but Carol did and has coached him up.

From top to bottom, Chargers coaches and player evaluators suck.
    Reminds me A LITTLE of Jeremiah Attaochu, our second-round pick in 2014. I thought he could have been a good player with us, but our coaches got nothing out of him. Although he never amounted to anything (he was just released by the Baltimore Ravens, his seventh team), I think he could have done what Nwosu is doing now if he had played for someone such as Carroll right after leaving the Chargers.

This is what we have been missing following Marty's firing and Wade Phillips' departure after the 2006 season. Sure, a stud like Bosa or Merriman (before injuries) is going to be a stud no matter who coaches him, but I doubt Shaun Phillips would have had the career he had if he didn't have Marty or Wade at the beginning.

I want Jim Harbaugh as our head coach. He turned Alex Smith's career around and got the most out of Colin Kaepernick. Harbaugh also had a great defense and outstanding running game.

A lot of people are talking about Sean Payton, but I just don't see it or want it. I don't think he's a good match with Herbert, and I can see him being like how Jimmy Johnson was with the Miami Dolphins or Bill Parcells was with the Dallas Cowboys---Super Bowl-winning coaches who got those teams to the playoffs in a few good years but didn't come close to winning the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Nwosu only has 3 sacks but yes he is getting pressure. Had his best game against us with 11 of them. Motivation. Still , his 30 pressures is more than Mel ever had in a season.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

The concerning thing about Staley is his defensive scheme appears to be inefficient & doesn't leverage talent well. I'm not sure how much of that is the NFL adjusting to the scheme after the success he had with the rams and other teams implementing it. The more often teams see a particular scheme the better they get at attacking it. But in 2020 running Gus Bradley's cover 3 scheme this defense ranked #10 overall and that was without Derwin James. I think the front office and ownership had the right idea with Staley as his defense with the rams was incredibly efficient. That team went from the 13th overall defense in '19 to #1 in '20 and they were #1 by a HUGE margin. They were first against the pass and 3rd against the rush. So I understand the thinking and Staley was the guy I wanted too. I thought his defensive scheme would enable us to more effectively leverage talent on the defensive side of the ball and having Herbert at QB would enable us to better leverage talent on the offensive side of the ball. The only thing I disagreed with was hiring Lombardi instead of keeping Steichen. It's hard to argue with that though as the offense was #5 overall last season. I know people quibble about the offense but generally they've been pretty solid.

The defense has been an abortion though. Staley's defense is supposed to limit explosive passing plays and they give up explosive passing plays left and right. The base defensive scheme does not work at all defending the run with the players currently on this team, and I don't think the players currently on this defense are worse as a whole than what Bradley had to work with, and his defense was adequate.

So it appears I made a giant miscalculation thinking Staleys scheme would effectively leverage defensive talent. The only solution I see is keep adding talent or change schemes. The linebackers are not good against the run and it takes special players all across the Dline to effectively play gap and half. Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson are adequate 1 gap defenders. But to play gap and a half you need real hoss's there at defensive tackle & we don't have that. We really have nothing at linebacker. Tranquill will make some splash plays but over-commits a ton and is too small to fight off blocks. Murray is generally incapable of reading & reacting against the run in a consistent manner.

Comment

• Air Coryell
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2021
          • Carlsbad, CA
          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
          • Send PM

The concerning thing about Staley is his defensive scheme appears to be inefficient

We are 29th out of 32 teams in points allowed. Staley calls all of the defensive plays. This after investing $$$$$ to fix the defense this year. He should be fired for this alone.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Reminds me A LITTLE of Jeremiah Attaochu, our second-round pick in 2014. I thought he could have been a good player with us, but our coaches got nothing out of him. Although he never amounted to anything (he was just released by the Baltimore Ravens, his seventh team), I think he could have done what Nwosu is doing now if he had played for someone such as Carroll right after leaving the Chargers.

And he's back. I had no idea this was going to happen. Haha.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

The defense is 17th in the league on third down defense. But it feels like it's worse than that.

I agree, we need better linebackers than Tranquill and Murray to stop the run. They just aren't good enough.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                Chargers Hall of Fame
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                The defense is 17th in the league on third down defense. But it feels like it's worse than that.

I agree, we need better linebackers than Tranquill and Murray to stop the run. They just aren't good enough.
                Ironically, it feels like the 3rd and long is where we are the worst.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

If we’re 17th on 3rd down defense we must be 32nd by a distance on 1st and 2nd.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

6 min 25 sec snap, then bottom of the screen is that our HC ?

Looks like visior moment for me xD

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Yes and that's classic Kenneth Murray out of position there. The way to use Murray is to send him on blitzes every snap because he's virtually incapable of reading and reacting. Some (even Popper) say he's playing good football this season but his PFF grade of 36 confirms what I see.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                        Yes and that's classic Kenneth Murray out of position there. The way to use Murray is to send him on blitzes every snap because he's virtually incapable of reading and reacting. Some (even Popper) say he's playing good football this season but his PFF grade of 36 confirms what I see.
                        I scratch my head each time Popper says that - he makes an occasional play but it seems you always see him in chase mode on those big plays the D gives up.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                          Did we win?
                          • Jun 2013
                          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                          • Send PM

He is out of position on SO MANY plays. It feels like the only time he makes the play is when he guesses right or the offense screws up. It's funny because when he caught that interception we were still talking about how badly he was out of position on the running play right before. Damn...
                          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

Working...
                          X