• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

I remember Bill Walsh talking about good coaches being "teachers and technicians."
    Not certain what the technician part was.

I'm sure Staley has gobbled up every Bill Walsh book and video .... Walsh had a lot to say.
    Staley can quote whole passages verbatim.
    Mike McCoy was featured at the beginning of Bill Walsh's "A Football Life" episode, in which he was describing what he learned from Walsh's legendary book, Finding the Winning Edge. In spite of reading the book, McCoy never ever actually found the winning edge, though. Same thing with Gus Bradley, who was also featured at the beginning of that episode.

I actually think Staley is a good guy. I just think he needed a lot more experience under Sean McVay before getting a head coaching job. McVay is actually younger than Staley, but McVay has been around the NFL his whole life, with his grandfather being John McVay. Staley was just hired way too soon.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

I think if we don't hire Harbaugh, which is highly likely, Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson COULD be a good candidate. He started coaching as a graduate assistant at Boston College when he was 23, spent three seasons there and was promoted to tight ends coach for his last year, and he's spent the last 12 seasons in the NFL. At 37 he's younger than Staley, but he has much more experience working his way up the NFL coaching ladder than Staley had when we hired him.

I like the way Johnson manages his offense with Jared Goff under center. I imagine he would be thrilled to work with Herbert.

So, other than his young age, what's not to like about Johnson? I want to learn more about him, so I would love to read any positive or negative insights.

Comment

• rensoul
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
        I think if we don't hire Harbaugh, which is highly likely, Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson COULD be a good candidate. He started coaching as a graduate assistant at Boston College when he was 23, spent three seasons there and was promoted to tight ends coach for his last year, and he's spent the last 12 seasons in the NFL. At 37 he's younger than Staley, but he has much more experience working his way up the NFL coaching ladder than Staley had when we hired him.

I like the way Johnson manages his offense with Jared Goff under center. I imagine he would be thrilled to work with Herbert.

So, other than his young age, what's not to like about Johnson? I want to learn more about him, so I would love to read any positive or negative insights.
        He's likely to be a top candidate for HC vacancies next season but if Staley is let go I think Moore has the inside track regardless of who is available.

Moore has a lot of experience as an OC and is already working with the team. I think how he performs with the offense this season is basically an audition for the job if they decide to make a change for next season.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

My main concern with keeping Staley is that with his rapid promotion up the coaching ladder, critical pieces of experience and knowledge are missing:
          stuff that cannot be picked up from the head coaching position. If it is to be learned, he needs to be a subordinate somewhere.

He'll always have these gaps if he is to remain Charger head coach, and change to him is blind efforts countering another coach bringing it to him.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

He's likely to be a top candidate for HC vacancies next season but if Staley is let go I think Moore has the inside track regardless of who is available.

Moore has a lot of experience as an OC and is already working with the team. I think how he performs with the offense this season is basically an audition for the job if they decide to make a change for next season.
            I agree. If he is passed up for an outside guy then he would likely get his nose out of joint and look for a job elsewhere which leaves Herbert starting over with yet another OC.

Team desperately needs continuity by holding on to quality coaches while culling the incompetents. But like you said, it depends on how well the offense performs this season. So far, so good.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I cant get back onto the staley bandwagon until he proves he can get this team to play complete football for the whole game over multiple games and multiple wins. these last 2 wins feel like...ummm...me winning a race versus special olympics. I just dont feel good about it. I dont care if we dont blow out a team, if it was a contested win, but win on sound coaching and playcalling I'd feel better.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Unless the team collapses I don't think it's a good idea to get rid of Staley during the season. This was the critical year for him. Play it out and
                see how it goes. If we do replace him after this year the logical choice would be Moore. Herbert's already on his 3rd OC in 4 years. Continuity
                on offense is an important factor.

There is no way Spanos would bring in Harbaugh. That would be like waving the white flag. Harbaugh's fiery personality doesn't mix with the Spanos style.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
                  Unless the team collapses I don't think it's a good idea to get rid of Staley during the season. This was the critical year for him. Play it out and
                  see how it goes. If we do replace him after this year the logical choice would be Moore. Herbert's already on his 3rd OC in 4 years. Continuity
                  on offense is an important factor.

There is no way Spanos would bring in Harbaugh. That would be like waving the white flag. Harbaugh's fiery personality doesn't mix with the Spanos style.
                  I agree that replacing him during the season would be a bad idea. But,they brought in Marty and Boss Ross in the past. They could surprise you.
                  I don't think Moore has shown enough to make me want make him the next HC.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

My main concern with keeping Staley is that with his rapid promotion up the coaching ladder, critical pieces of experience and knowledge are missing:
                    stuff that cannot be picked up from the head coaching position. If it is to be learned, he needs to be a subordinate somewhere.

He'll always have these gaps if he is to remain Charger head coach, and change to him is blind efforts countering another coach bringing it to him.
                    Being at 500 4 games into the season is not good! However the talent on this team is as good as the Bills, Chiefs and Dolphins! The only way this team is going to get over the hump is if ultimately the players trust Brandon Staley! The remaining schedule looks like a 10 win season is possible. We really need to beat the Chiefs! A win against the Cowboys could be a great start!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      I agree that replacing him during the season would be a bad idea. But,they brought in Marty and Boss Ross in the past. They could surprise you.
                      I don't think Moore has shown enough to make me want make him the next HC.
                      Yeah I think if the team falls to 2-6 and looks like they will miss the PO then firing Staley wouldn't be a surprise. But if they lets say 6-5 or
                      something in that range and still in PO contention then I don't think it would be a wise move.

I agree with you that Moore has not been that impressive. The idea is to have Herbert in the same system. That's what we did when
                      we brought in Norv to replace Marty. Except that Norv's X and O's initially confused Rivers and Norv had to tone it down.

If Moore doesn't show any improvement then I'm with you. But if the offense looks great the rest of the way then we should consider it
                      since if that happens we may lose him to the NFL HC carousel.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Colin cowherd says the chargers should trade their next two first round picks for Daboll. He said the chargers draft really well and have built a great team they just need a great head coach. And he thinks Daboll is great.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• floydefisher
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • siberiacuse, ny
                          • Send PM

I remember Bill Walsh talking about good coaches being "teachers and technicians."
                          Not certain what the technician part was.

I'm sure Staley has gobbled up every Bill Walsh book and video .... Walsh had a lot to say.
                          Staley can quote whole passages verbatim.
                          Bill Walsh would have never went for it on 4th and inches when the game clock is winding down, you're only up by a couple, and you are deep in your own territory.

Staley needs to go back and read his books some more.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X