• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOrvMeNow
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
    I reckon Staley is agressive in everything he does.

OC not working = replace
    big name FA not playing well = bench

I would much rather Staley continue to make changes trying to improve. I understand not all changes will work and adult enough to accept mistakes when they happen.

It just so happens the mistakes so far have been covered up by our defense these last 2 wins, which ironically gives me faith our def can now make a stop in the red zone and get a win.

IVE SEEN IT TWICE
    Lot's of blitzes, sending defenders from all angles, and press coverage schemes,

or prefers 4 pass rushers with few stunts & twists, and defenders dropping back, keeping everything in front of them to avoid the big play?

The offense is one of big plays, or minimizes risk and turnovers?

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

This D is a weird juxtaposition. We give up so many big plays both running and passing and have a penchant for idiotic penalties. Yet we also are tied for the NFL league lead in sacks and are 4th in takeaways. If Bosa can come back healthy and stay healthy (yeah, I know the history) our pass rush will be even better and we can force more takeaways. It's maddening how we perform.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post
        Like everyone, I've seen the clip a few times.

Yeah, he was definitel trying to signal something to Samuel, and it wasn't the keep on running signal.

Knowing Staley, there were probably 3 signals in one, and Samuel needed to interpret each one of them singularly,
        and in combination, for the particular situation at hand.
        This sounds like the most reasonable explanation I've heard so far . . . . . . .

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Staley is like a dark cloud that casts its shadow over the field. Nobody’s going to admit it if he’s already lost locker room but sure feels like it. Underachieving, dysfunctional & unwatchable.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Like everyone, I've seen the clip a few times.

Yeah, he was definitel trying to signal something to Samuel, and it wasn't the keep on running signal.

Knowing Staley, there were probably 3 signals in one, and Samuel needed to interpret each one of them singularly,
            and in combination, for the particular situation at hand.
            this is the PoTD and let’s face it a perfect summation of the Staley era

Comment

• rensoul
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              This D is a weird juxtaposition. We give up so many big plays both running and passing and have a penchant for idiotic penalties. Yet we also are tied for the NFL league lead in sacks and are 4th in takeaways. If Bosa can come back healthy and stay healthy (yeah, I know the history) our pass rush will be even better and we can force more takeaways. It's maddening how we perform.
              The defense has a chance to be better this year.
              What I've noticed in the BS era is that the defense has had zero identity even with a lot of expensive talent on that side of the ball.

With the pass rush showing some signs of life this season with Mack/Bosa/Tuli/Fox that can help create an identity for the defense to build around as a team that wins by rushing the passer.
              It's at least something.

The back end pass defense is a mess. I hope they use this bye to throw out whatever is complicating things and confusing players, simplify Derwin's role when he comes back, simplify the back end and focus on winning with the front four and opportunistic blitz packages instead of trying to confuse opposing Qb's with exotic coverages that players can't seem to remember and allow the players to think less and play faster.

If they simplify things and the pass rush continues to do well I would hope this could be at least an average 15th to 16th ranked type of defense.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

Lot's of blitzes, sending defenders from all angles, and press coverage schemes,

or prefers 4 pass rushers with few stunts & twists, and defenders dropping back, keeping everything in front of them to avoid the big play?

The offense is one of big plays, or minimizes risk and turnovers?
                so you dont think this defense is agressive?

the offense seems bipolar, 1 week agressive the next timid.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Staley is likely to get a barrage of incoming ridicule on the JCJ fiasco. The NFL talking heads already don't like him and they'll be waiting to twist the knives when JCJ returns to form under BB. It's a perfect test case.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                    Staley is likely to get a barrage of incoming ridicule on the JCJ fiasco. The NFL talking heads already don't like him and they'll be waiting to twist the knives when JCJ returns to form under BB. It's a perfect test case.
                    Staley is WAY over his head. Everyone here knows it and the few talking heads that follow us know it. He was a terrible hire, especially with a young JH#10 on board.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Staley is WAY over his head. Everyone here knows it and the few talking heads that follow us know it. He was a terrible hire, especially with a young JH#10 on board.
                      Its happening already - -the hot young coordinator - Dave Canales after 4 games with Tampa is "sure to be on teh short list after the season."

Based on four games. Thats how you get a guy like Staley - -not enough experience. He can talk it - but can't teach it

I see all the lists about what makes a good head coach. Motivator, Communicator, Organized, blah blah blah. I think its first and foremost, teacher

Can you help the players get better at their craft?

Marty Schottenheimer was a teacher of football.
                      Bill Walsh - very innovative but my guess, he was a teacher of football
                      Hoodie - teacher first.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                        Staley is like a dark cloud that casts its shadow over the field. Nobody’s going to admit it if he’s already lost locker room but sure feels like it. Underachieving, dysfunctional & unwatchable.
                        Hey TxBeer. I don’t know. If you listen/watch the players in the post games, I don’t think they have stopped believing. Quite the opposite from what they are saying and the body language and facial expressions make it seem sincere. No argument it is hard to watch. This is the first year I sometimes take breaks and quit watching or listening while the game is being played. I have never done that in 45 years as a fan.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Yes. The 3rd 18 dump off pass to Jacobs through multiple tacklers after another big sack sort of embodies this defense.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X