• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Davis might be the worst owner in the entire NFL. Since he took over the team, the Raiders are 82-120 with 0 playoff wins in 13 years. We all know and agree Dean Spanos sucks but at least he has a winning record (barely) at 237-233 with 7 playoff wins. They both suck and the league would be better without either but Davis is worse.
    I would argue almost half of the NFL owners in the NFL are worse than Spanos. He’s perfectly average.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Also unless we plan to interview coaches that are not in the playoffs currently, I’m Staley and Telesco will be here until the end of the season. Barring a playoff run.

Teams will no longer be able to conduct in-person interviews with coaching candidates currently employed by other teams until after the divisional round of the playoffs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Davis might be the worst owner in the entire NFL. Since he took over the team, the Raiders are 82-120 with 0 playoff wins in 13 years. We all know and agree Dean Spanos sucks but at least he has a winning record (barely) at 237-233 with 7 playoff wins. They both suck and the league would be better without either but Davis is worse.
        Your data beats my anecdotal feelings

That said, I don't know what it is about the guy, but Spanos is a terrible owner. He doesn't care about winning - I am truly convinced he is indifferent to it. If he wanted to win, he would do different things. This is all about money for him.

As posted above, Davis made the right move to fire Josh - but what stupid thing will he do next.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Your data beats my anecdotal feelings

That said, I don't know what it is about the guy, but Spanos is a terrible owner. He doesn't care about winning - I am truly convinced he is indifferent to it. If he wanted to win, he would do different things. This is all about money for him.

As posted above, Davis made the right move to fire Josh - but what stupid thing will he do next.
          Everyone could see McDaniels was going to be a train wreck again, yet Davis gave him a 6 year contract and blew him out less than a year and a half into his contract.

Spanos has a terrible track record of hiring coaches and we rightly complain he holds on to them for a year or two too long. But I disagree that he doesn't care about winning. I think he wants to win - he just has no clue how to.

Davis and Spanos - Dumb and Dumber.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Everyone could see McDaniels was going to be a train wreck again, yet Davis gave him a 6 year contract and blew him out less than a year and a half into his contract.

Spanos has a terrible track record of hiring coaches and we rightly complain he holds on to them for a year or two too long. But I disagree that he doesn't care about winning. I think he wants to win - he just has no clue how to.

Davis and Spanos - Dumb and Dumber.
            this is where we disagree - the data shows he has had greater success hiring experienced head coaches. My other comments are anecdotal - but one can look at the combined records of Norv, Henning, Riley, Marty and Ross compared to Saunders, Gilbride/Jones, McCoy Lynn and Staley

I just looked it up

The experienced coaches are 186-180 but if you remove Henning and Riley, the records are 156-114 as Riley and Henning were a combined 30-66

the first time group is 110-135

So Dean KNOWS what to do - he just chooses not to do it

As somebody said earlier -for the Chargers under Spanii - hiring an experienced coach works better than a first timer.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

That said, I don't know what it is about the guy, but Spanos is a terrible owner. He doesn't care about winning - .
              He cares. Little Johnny’s entire self esteem is based on the Charger record.

The real problem is he is incompetent and the wrong guy for the job.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

He cares. Little Johnny’s entire self esteem is based on the Charger record.

The real problem is he is incompetent and the wrong guy for the job.
                And yet, Dean won't fire John Boy - hence, he doesn't care about winning if he wants his sons self-esteem lifted by getting a participation trophy

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

And yet, Dean won't fire John Boy - hence, he doesn't care about winning if he wants his sons self-esteem lifted by getting a participation trophy

He’s not going to fire his son like no NFL owner is going to fire their kids from a desk job. It’s just something that you have to accept regardless of owners.

Comment

• Classic
                    Hall Of Fame
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Of course you would. But did you forget that Kyle Shanahan was bad in the beginning of his career too?

Do people forget the choke job by Andy Reid in that game to the Colts in the playoffs many years ago?​
                    Kyle had a poor roster in 2017 and got Jimmy G late. Jimmy G got injured and 2018 ended up being a set back year and 2019 was major success. 2020 was his only real bad year I give him blame for but even that season the Bosa injury was impactful.

Andy Reid was already a established coach by the time he lost that WC game against Andrew Luck and the Colts.

Rich and you are making it look like Staley is even comparable to these 2 Elite HCs.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Kyle had a poor roster in 2017 and got Jimmy G late. Jimmy G got injured and 2018 ended up being a set back year and 2019 was major success. 2020 was his only real bad year I give him blame for but even that season the Bosa injury was impactful.

Andy Reid was already a established coach by the time he lost that WC game against Andrew Luck and the Colts.

Rich and you are making it look like Staley is even comparable to these 2 Elite HCs.
                      I'm not sure how Reid got brought into this. I just posted a couple of Tweets that people had about Staley and Shanahan. Staley should be judged by his results and I have said many times he should be fired if we don't make a playoff run.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

this is where we disagree - the data shows he has had greater success hiring experienced head coaches. My other comments are anecdotal - but one can look at the combined records of Norv, Henning, Riley, Marty and Ross compared to Saunders, Gilbride/Jones, McCoy Lynn and Staley

I just looked it up

The experienced coaches are 186-180 but if you remove Henning and Riley, the records are 156-114 as Riley and Henning were a combined 30-66

the first time group is 110-135

So Dean KNOWS what to do - he just chooses not to do it

As somebody said earlier -for the Chargers under Spanii - hiring an experienced coach works better than a first timer.
                        Maybe it’s for the best to get a retread. Though it is upsetting that other teams seem to do well with first timers and we can’t. Maybe just the Charger curse.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Maybe it’s for the best to get a retread. Though it is upsetting that other teams seem to do well with first timers and we can’t. Maybe just the Charger curse.
                          And I don't even think Quinn is that much of a retread. I mean, by the time Marty got to the Bolts it was his 4th job, for Norval Eugene it was his 3rd. Henning was on his second. Riley coached I think in Canada and Oregon State

Quinn, Schwartz (who has a very good defense in Cle), Morris - and the name I added from the other thread I thought of, Bisaccia.

And yes, you are right - it is the curse that other teams can win with first time head coaches.

Comment

Working...
                          X