• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

You don't know this board.

If Staley leads the Chargers to the AFC championship game, everyone will forget what they were bitching about in the first place.
    As for respecting the guy, as a head football coach he throws too many people under the bus in order to divert his culpability in the crappy product that is the Chargers.
    That's a mighty big "if"...

Comment

• Wrbanwal
      FUdean
      • Dec 2022
      • Send PM

Seems every thread on this board is a Staley thread. Here is my .02

The FUdeans would have to pay (BB/JH) big money. then they’d have to fire Staley. Then they’d have to pay (BB/JH) and Staley for another year or more?

Given FUdean and coaching hires, I don’t see that happening.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Lets be real... Tired of all the disingenuous half truth posts around here just to prove a point. Telesco spent that money on free agency simply because of Herbert's rookie contract... We would have done that with any coach, not just Staley.
        Why didn’t he do it in 2020 then with Lynn? All reports, including from guys like Popper, was because of Staley’s influence. So it’s not half truth despite what you may wish to believe.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post
          Seems every thread on this board is a Staley thread. Here is my .02

The FUdeans would have to pay (BB/JH) big money. then they’d have to fire Staley. Then they’d have to pay (BB/JH) and Staley for another year or more?

Given FUdean and coaching hires, I don’t see that happening.
          Staley only has another year left of his contract. Spanos have paid HCs their remaining year after they get fired while hiring a new one.

Comment

• AFboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2018
            • Balboa Park bench
            • Medical Simulation
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Why didn’t he do it in 2020 then with Lynn? All reports, including from guys like Popper, was because of Staley’s influence. So it’s not half truth despite what you may wish to believe.
            1st year of Herbert's contract? Less cap space? Habit of small splashes in free agency? Who knows... I wish he would have done it with Lynn, perhaps we would have won the divisional round of that playoff game. I give Staley credit for 1 thing, bringing in his guys on defense and where has that gotten us? Worst defense in the league.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

I don’t get the throw people under the bus from Staley. We needed coaching changes for example and he luckily was able to get upgrades in Moore and Ficken. His main weakness and why he’ll probably get fired unless he turns it around is the defense.

If you want an example of a HC that actually throws people under the bus, look at Sean McDermott instead.
              But the thread is on Staley and the current issue is his habit of turning over his coaching staff as assiduously as a farmer turns over top soil.
              When Staley isn't firing an assistant coach, he's discussing with the media how his players don't play the right techniques or lack basic fundamentals.

Why was Michael Whilhoite not retained last year? A young coach with tons of NFL experience at linebacker.
              When he was let go, everyone here speculated that he was behind the problems with the linebackers not tackling, or being too often out of position.
              How could we not assume that?

If Whilhoite failed, either Staley is a bad teacher or Whilhoite was sacrificed to take heat off of Staley on how poorly the defense performed.
              Which is it? I think it was a bit of both, or Staley refusing to believe that there was anything wrong with how he goes about things on his end.
              That's what I mean by throwing people under the bus.

Staley has the option of shutting up to the media and teaching up better his assistant coaches on what he wants the players to do on the football field.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

One reason might be because in the off season with Lynn, Herbert had not played a single snap in the NFL, the plan was not even to start him in his rookie season. The plan was to bring him along slowly behind Tyrod Taylor. Then after being thrown in there Herbert excelled and won rookie of the year, and the Chargers had the actual proof they drafted themselves a legit franchise QB. Herbert played so well so early he likely moved up the time table of going for it while he was on rookie contract.

That would be very logical reasoning to answer your question of why not with Lynn.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                  FUdean
                  • Dec 2022
                  • Send PM

Staley only has another year left of his contract. Spanos have paid HCs their remaining year after they get fired while hiring a new one.
                  I thought he signed a 4 year contract in 2021. Whatever it is I don’t think they would pay either one of the big 2 the kind of money it would take and eat Staley’s remaining

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post

I thought he signed a 4 year contract in 2021. Whatever it is I don’t think they would pay either one of the big 2 the kind of money it would take and eat Staley’s remaining
                    He did sign a four year contract. This is the third year. Hence why there’s only one year left.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

One reason might be because in the off season with Lynn, Herbert had not played a single snap in the NFL, the plan was not even to start him in his rookie season. The plan was to bring him along slowly behind Tyrod Taylor. Then after being thrown in there Herbert excelled and won rookie of the year, and the Chargers had the actual proof they drafted themselves a legit franchise QB. Herbert played so well so early he likely moved up the time table of going for it while he was on rookie contract.

That would be very logical reasoning to answer your question of why not with Lynn.
                      Doesn’t change the fact that the only time Telesco has traded for a big name player was under Staley or that this was the first time we went all in for 2022 and screwed up the cap for this season. Getting all of Staley’s guys. Albeit we got away with it this year this because this was also the first time that Telesco had restructured more than one person. Could have done it when Rivers was here as well. For good or bad, Staley led us to being more aggressive in FA. Maybe because it was his time with the Rams.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

But the thread is on Staley and the current issue is his habit of turning over his coaching staff as assiduously as a farmer turns over top soil.
                        When Staley isn't firing an assistant coach, he's discussing with the media how his players don't play the right techniques or lack basic fundamentals.

Why was Michael Whilhoite not retained last year? A young coach with tons of NFL experience at linebacker.
                        When he was let go, everyone here speculated that he was behind the problems with the linebackers not tackling, or being too often out of position.
                        How could we not assume that?

If Whilhoite failed, either Staley is a bad teacher or Whilhoite was sacrificed to take heat off of Staley on how poorly the defense performed.
                        Which is it? I think it was a bit of both, or Staley refusing to believe that there was anything wrong with how he goes about things on his end.
                        That's what I mean by throwing people under the bus.

Staley has the option of shutting up to the media and teaching up better his assistant coaches on what he wants the players to do on the football field.

I guess I don’t see anything wrong with Staley turning over his staff if he thinks there needs to be an improvement. Lynn’s problem was that he was too loyal and hung on to his friend George Stewart as ST coach through his entire tenure. Staley replaced Swinton with Ficken after one season and Lombardi after two seasons with a better OC in Moore.

In terms of Jeff Howard as the new LB coach, that unit seems to be at least be better in the run defense area this year compared to the last two seasons. I don’t know if someone like Kendricks or Murray will ever be good at coverage.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Doesn’t change the fact that the only time Telesco has traded for a big name player was under Staley or that this was the first time we went all in for 2022 and screwed up the cap for this season. Getting all of Staley’s guys. Albeit we got away with it this year this because this was also the first time that Telesco had restructured more than one person. Could have done it when Rivers was here as well. For good or bad, Staley led us to being more aggressive in FA. Maybe because it was his time with the Rams.
                          You are right, I cant argue with that. That has not traditionally been the Chargers MO

That said I don't think management signs off on it if Herbert had struggled as a young QB in his first couple of seasons like some do. Josh Allen didn't play well until year 3. Herbert balling in year 1 gave them instant proof they indeed had a franchise QB in the fold.

Comment

Working...
                          X