• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Isn't that pretty much true of any of the best offenses in the NFL?
    Probably. The point was more that Norv himself isn’t the o-whispering genius that his legacy is sometimes describe to be. He’s just a coach and I’d add i don’t think his scheme, which I never saw evidence he could adjust, is suited for the faster modern league but thats just conjecture on my part.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      He’s just a coach
      The only Chargers coach besides Marty to win the division this century - three consecutive division titles
      Won more playoff games than Marty and his three successors combined
      Only coach this century to get the Chargers to a Championship Game
      Holds the franchise record for the most consecutive wins in a season (11 in 2009)

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I remember all the hate directed at Norv by Chargers fans. So many wanted him gone almost from the time he took over for Marty. A case of be careful of what you wish for. Norv is 71 and retired. Same age as Belichick and Pete Carroll.
        Norv sucked. He was handed a SB contending team and said as much when he got the job. Only total incompetance wouldnt have won at least 1 division title. He was a terrible hire which cost AJ his job.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Isn't that pretty much true of any of the best offenses in the NFL?
          Do you think Miami has a top tier OL?

It is true in most cases but when we didnt have a top tier OL, which was pretty much never (though it was pretty decent atone point) Norv and his long developing seven step drops with a bad OL did not work at all with Rivers who had no escape ability. Infuriating that he didnt call quick hitters to help compensate.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Do you think Miami has a top tier OL?

It is true in most cases but when we didnt have a top tier OL, which was pretty much never (though it was pretty decent atone point) Norv and his long developing seven step drops with a bad OL did not work at all with Rivers who had no escape ability. Infuriating that he didnt call quick hitters to help compensate.
            Whatever your opinion, it doesn't change the fact that Norv was a better HC than McCoy and Lynn. I'm still giving Staley the benefit of the doubt. But he has to prove it this season.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

The only Chargers coach besides Marty to win the division this century - three consecutive division titles
              Won more playoff games than Marty and his three successors combined
              Only coach this century to get the Chargers to a Championship Game
              Holds the franchise record for the most consecutive wins in a season (11 in 2009)
              Norval came in with arguably the most talented team in the NFL.
              He also came in with the AFC west at its weakest: Denver, K.C. the Raiders all sucked from 2007 - 2009.

He still barely won the division in 2008 at 8 - 8.
              After 2009, he proceeded to lose out to a Matt Cassel lead Chief's team,
              and then a Tim Teebow lead Broncos team.

In 2009 there seemed to be hope - his best job.
              And then he laid that great big egg against Mark Sanchez.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Norval came in with arguably the most talented team in the NFL.
                He also came in with the AFC west at its weakest: Denver, K.C. the Raiders all sucked from 2007 - 2009.

He still barely won the division in 2008 at 8 - 8.
                After 2009, he proceeded to lose out to a Matt Cassel lead Chief's team,
                and then a Tim Teebow lead Broncos team.

In 2009 there seemed to be hope - his best job.
                And then he laid that great big egg against Mark Sanchez.
                I take it you believe McCoy and Lynn were better head coaches than Norv?

Comment

• AFboltfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Balboa Park bench
                  • Medical Simulation
                  • Send PM

I remember all the hate directed at Norv by Chargers fans. So many wanted him gone almost from the time he took over for Marty. A case of be careful of what you wish for. Norv is 71 and retired. Same age as Belichick and Pete Carroll.
                  Norv Turner has a 118/126 coaching record .488

He is what he is, he's not a good coach. I was one of the Norv "haters" and still am, no regrets. He couldn't win anywhere he went as a HC.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Balboa Park bench
                    • Medical Simulation
                    • Send PM

I take it you believe McCoy and Lynn were better head coaches than Norv?
                    All three of them sucked... There really is no comparison here and no reason to even try.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Norv Turner has a 118/126 coaching record .488

He is what he is, he's not a good coach. I was one of the Norv "haters" and still am, no regrets. He couldn't win anywhere he went as a HC.
                      Norv was 56-40 as Chargers coach. His coaching record outside of the Chargers is irrelevant. I take it you like McCarthy and Lynn better as head coaches? Because that is what firing Norv got us.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2018
                        • Balboa Park bench
                        • Medical Simulation
                        • Send PM

Norv was 56-40 as Chargers coach. His coaching record outside of the Chargers is irrelevant. I take it you like McCarthy and Lynn better as head coaches? Because that is what firing Norv got us.
                        Look at the thread above yours... McCoy and Lynn were terrible just like Norv and now Staley. This team sure has gotten lucky with QB's but is snake bit when it comes to selecting a HC.

Truth of the matter is Norv's record plummeted each year Marty's team lost core players and LT left.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

1- I don't think it's true, maybe in golf but not in football.
                          P. Manning with the Colts is an excellent example.

2- I'm more interested in the other 50%

3- I think with only one stop by the defense against MIA and TEN, the Chargers are 4-0 !
                          1. Again more than 50% of the games are decided by one score. Which means it comes down to Q4. Of course if get blown out
                          which happens then it's not going down in Q4. BUT with the Chargers it's been that way in all four of our games. Not sure what
                          P. Manning has to do with it.

2. Unfortunately for the Chargers the other 50% is not happening often enough, at least not in our favor or the other way as well.

3. Miami definitely. Ten, no. The D stopped them twice in the 4th quarter when we were up by 4. Both times our offense went
                          3 and out. The last two possessions for Ten resulted in a TD and then FG in OT. But we had the ball last in Q4 in the red zone
                          with a chance to win the game with a TD but settled for the FG to tie the game. We got the ball first in OT. 3 and out. The offense
                          did nothing to bail out the D when they needed. Four possession with the game on the line and score 3 points. Pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                          X