• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

From CBS Sportsline (whether you agree or not, this is a true statement):

"(Staley) remains the biggest question for a theoretical contender, and his preferred side of the ball has allowed the most points in the AFC."

That last part kills me. Why isn't he at least getting our defense to be strong and solid. What the hell is the problem for our defensive genius young head coach?

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

"(Staley) remains the biggest question for a theoretical contender, and his preferred side of the ball has allowed the most points in the AFC."

That last part kills me. Why isn't he at least getting our defense to be strong and solid. What the hell is the problem for our defensive genius young head coach?
      not sure how much of it is personnel, and.... would like to see Reeder in the mix, as well as JT Woods, and.... you can add more Ogbonnia to the list, and less Covington.

that's one of the things I enjoyed w/a Ron Rivera coached D.... come the second half, things got buttoned down, albeit seems like the opposite happens w/this D.... just like the O, seems like things unravel in the second half ?? if that's not coaching, not sure what is ?? how badly are we being outcoached ??
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

not sure how much of it is personnel, and.... would like to see Reeder in the mix, as well as JT Woods, and.... you can add more Ogbonnia to the list, and less Covington.

that's one of the things I enjoyed w/a Ron Rivera coached D.... come the second half, things got buttoned down, albeit seems like the opposite happens w/this D.... just like the O, seems like things unravel in the second half ?? if that's not coaching, not sure what is ?? how badly are we being outcoached ??
        I wish I could understand it. People keep talking about personnel. But the guy has been given Khalil Mack, Derwin James, Bryce Callahan, JC Jackson, and he had Joey Bosa. He's been handed interior rushers who are stout against the run. He's got ASJ and Kyle Van Noy. He HAS solid players (at least as many as most other teams in the league).

Why aren't we seeing results? I mean, are they improved from last year? Okay, sure. But it's somewhat incremental and it's clearly blowing up for a couple of quarters every game.

We have yet to have a complete defensive game, one that dominates. And from day 1 that's ALL he talked about. It's not translating to the field.

I think it's time to end the excuses and hold Staley accountable.

One thing I HATED last year was his commitment to a "light box" when we clearly didn't have the front 6 needed to run that D. I'd much prefer a D-coordinator and head coach who COACHES TO OUR STRENGTHS and doesn't hold fast to their chosen defensive style.

Now that he (supposedly) has the players, are we really seeing it work?

Sigh.

Comment

• Air Coryell
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2021
          • Carlsbad, CA
          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
          • Send PM

Football is a line of scrimmage game. If you can't run the football and protect the passer, your offense will suffer. If you can't stop the run and rush the passer, your defense will suffer.

Staley has yet put a scheme out that can consistently stop then run. He is fools gold. Unfortunately, we are wasting the extra cap space from JH rookie contract.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Ok but at least 10 of those points were offensive turnovers. 3 from the kickoff fumble inside the 20 and a pic 6. Defense did good to hold them to a FG.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

I wish I could understand it. People keep talking about personnel. But the guy has been given Khalil Mack, Derwin James, Bryce Callahan, JC Jackson, and he had Joey Bosa. He's been handed interior rushers who are stout against the run. He's got ASJ and Kyle Van Noy. He HAS solid players (at least as many as most other teams in the league).

Why aren't we seeing results? I mean, are they improved from last year? Okay, sure. But it's somewhat incremental and it's clearly blowing up for a couple of quarters every game.

We have yet to have a complete defensive game, one that dominates. And from day 1 that's ALL he talked about. It's not translating to the field.

I think it's time to end the excuses and hold Staley accountable.

One thing I HATED last year was his commitment to a "light box" when we clearly didn't have the front 6 needed to run that D. I'd much prefer a D-coordinator and head coach who COACHES TO OUR STRENGTHS and doesn't hold fast to their chosen defensive style.

Now that he (supposedly) has the players, are we really seeing it work?

Sigh.
              if Staley can't get this defense turned around, get someone else.

Zero excuses for having one of the worst defenses in the AFC.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

should Staley 'cede the defensive play calling to his defensive coordinator ??

....rather than letting his ego get the best of him, he did what many coaches before him have failed to do: he conceded the role of play-calling to offensive coordinator Shane Steichen, instead focusing on being the actual coach for the team.
                can we/how do we get our run game going ??

In the span of a few weeks, Sirianni and Steichen completely redesigned the offense and developed one of the deadliest run games in the NFL.
                can Staley adapt to the strength's of his team/personnel ??

But since his hiring, I feel that he has shown the ability to be a great head coach in this league and adapt to the strengths of his team rather than forcing his philosophy on a team that it clearly won’t work for.
                https://vendettasportsmedia.com/most-underrated-coach-nfl-nick-sirianni/
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

more personnel notes.... re: SM(H)

https://vendettasportsmedia.com/sony-michel-just-totally-sucks/

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

should Staley 'cede the defensive play calling to his defensive coordinator ??

can we/how do we get our run game going ??

can Staley adapt to the strength's of his team/personnel ??

https://vendettasportsmedia.com/most-underrated-coach-nfl-nick-sirianni/
                    Good read.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2021
                      • Carlsbad, CA
                      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                      • Send PM

Not news to anyone not named Staley / TT

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

I'm going to withhold judgement on Staley - and his defense - until later in the season. Let him have the first half or three-quarters of the season to build this defense into something playoff worthy. But if December-January rolls around with the offense humming and the defense dragging the team down again, I'll have something to say.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Most points? Bullshit stat.

KC scored 44 and 41 against Tampa Bay and Arizona. KC scored 27 vs Chargers and 7 of those were a pick six on Herbert/Everett, so defense held them to 20.

Comment

Working...
                          X