• chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Only one loss at LV 35-32
    But the entire time Staley has been our coach we never lost a game when we scored 70 or more. That's because he's defensive guru.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Last season the Chargers started 4-1 under Staley. Could've been 5-0 if the umps didn't take Charger TDs off the board v Dallas. Herbert and Bolts did what they had to to beat Wash in week 1. They dominated the Chiefs in KC in week 3. Doubled up on the Raiders in week 4 and won a shootout against Clev in Week 5.

Then they hit a wall, starting with 34-6 loss in Balt and a 27-24 loss after their bye to the Pats at Sofi. After their 4-1 start, they were 5-7 the rest of the season.

What happened?

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Last season the Chargers started 4-1 under Staley. Could've been 5-0 if the umps didn't take Charger TDs off the board v Dallas. Herbert and Bolts did what they had to to beat Wash in week 1. They dominated the Chiefs in KC in week 3. Doubled up on the Raiders in week 4 and won a shootout against Clev in Week 5.

Then they hit a wall, starting with 34-6 loss in Balt and a 27-24 loss after their bye to the Pats at Sofi. After their 4-1 start, they were 5-7 the rest of the season.

What happened?
        Lombardi?
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• DennisR91
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2021
          • Send PM

What happened?

chargers last year were 5th worst in defensive red zone attempets

theyve improved this year to tied for 6th worst.

meaning the other team keeps getting in the red zone
          not sure the root cause for this

Definitely need another drive stopper here or there on D

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

What happened?
            We couldn't stop the run and were mediocre against the pass on D. STs were not good.
            Other team's coaches began to notice.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DennisR91

Great point hehe

Do u know the exact cause? Scheme/players/ play calling/ tackling/ tendencies?

to say stop the run is too general. What woulda person do to make this stat better.

sometimes concede a td here or there from out of the red zone? Prevent opposing offense from getting in a rhythm? For example on one random defensive drive you play out of character/tendency in that you play relaxed defense. At your own 35-50 yard line you clamp down and lay the line. If the pass you there you just let them score. Because if they pass you there they reach the red zone anyways, like an inevitable event. But this way you conserve the defense for a few palys
              i get what you are saying. pick your battles on def

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I like Staley. Keep waiting to see all the defensive genius stuff, though. Just seems mediocre and he picked all the new players. Injuries yes, but have not seen the genius come out yet

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  I like Staley. Keep waiting to see all the defensive genius stuff, though. Just seems mediocre and he picked all the new players. Injuries yes, but have not seen the genius come out yet

TG
                  It was genius getting Mack.

Dare I say, even better than Lynn getting Murray.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

Staley is not a defensive guru and is way over his head as HC. Can't fix a basic issue - stop the run. He's a likable talker. We have a great QB and have not even been to the playoffs with him. So painful to have excited hope, but end up with the same shit show.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                      Someone in another thread asked this question, which was: What does Brandon Staley bring to the Chargers? How does he make us a better team?

While I still think it's too early to ask that, it's an interesting question.

Does he make us a tougher/smarter/more disciplined team?

Are we better at fundamentals?

Are we better at scheming?

And perhaps the most important: does he give us any edge whatsoever in taking down the Chiefs?

I think we will be in a better position to answer these questions at the end of year 2....but interesting to think about.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Someone in another thread asked this question, which was: What does Brandon Staley bring to the Chargers? How does he make us a better team?

Does he make us a tougher/smarter/more disciplined team?

Are we better at fundamentals?

Are we better at scheming?

And perhaps the most important: does he give us any edge whatsoever in taking down the Chiefs?

I think we will be in a better position to answer these questions at the end of year 2....but interesting to think about.
                        We looked a hell of a lot better against Chiefs than Tampa Bay. In fact, should have won that game if not for bad officiating.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Does he make us a tougher/smarter/more disciplined team? - I have not seen this yet. We lose games we should win. We might be close but we often make mistakes that prevent us from winning games against teams maybe we should not win against.

Are we better at fundamentals? - tackling suffers. Staley talks a lot about crack replace and other assignments being missed. When will it get better?

Are we better at scheming? - it is very inconsistent. Some games, yes, I see the way Staley set the table nicely on offense and or defense. Other games not so much

And perhaps the most important: does he give us any edge whatsoever in taking down the Chiefs? - the games against the Chiefs have been far more competitive than in the past and really all could have been won by Chargers

Great post. I tried to answer from my opinions.... One question you did not ask is what does Staley bring from a tone/culture standpoint. On that one I give high marks for recognizing and speaking about Chargering and trying to do something about it. About playing to win not just to compete. And it looks like free agents flock to the Chargers and most say it is because of Staley.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X