• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by HerbertIzHot View Post

Interesting take… part of learning and growing could be realizing you aren’t what’s best for the team. Would he go back to being an assistant, no. But if they’re&I#8217;s a more adaptable and better coach out there I think the chargers have to pursue. One playoff run doesn’t change that, especially when he hasn’t actually shown improvement… is beating poor teams really evidence if that?
    Staley realizing that he’s not best for the team? This is such a silly post.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Getting Sean Payton is a pipe dream. It's just not going to happen so making the playoffs, I think Staley is staying.
      Sorry, I just don't believe for a second that Dean Spanos is going to pony up the salary that Peyton would get elsewhere or even want to be here.

I doubt he's going to work here for the cheap salary all these Rookie coaches we always hire get.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
        Staley should be in the converstaion for coach of the year. Keeping this team together and winning games with 3rd stringers
        They've plowed through a pretty weak schedule this year:

Miami, Tennessee & Indy looked like a challenging 3 game set when the schedule was set,
        but all those teams are a collective 0 & 12 the last 4 weeks.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I don't recall anyone saying he couldn't get a team into the playoffs. Many had doubts about him earlier this season, and rightfully so, when the Seahawks, Raiders, and other teams were running for 200 yards against the defense, and we were at .500. This, among other reasons, is why some don't believe in Staley until he can prove he is the right head coach for this team. I don't see the silliness in that.

What I think is silly is your take on Mike McCoy, in which you seemed to believe in him when he won a playoff game in 2013 but now clearly don't view him as a good head coach, and not understanding others for thinking there is a possibility that Staley isn't the guy to get us to the promised land. In other words, in 2013 you probably thought McCoy would get us our first Super Bowl title, while others may have seen something that made them believe otherwise. While you may not believe this, there's a possibility you're doing the exact same thing now with Staley that you did with McCoy. I don't want to do that anymore as a fan. I want us on a much more realistic path to winning a Super Bowl.

I want Staley to succeed, as he seems like a fantastic individual, a genuinely kind person. I just don't know if his coaching style translates to sustained success and the ultimate goal.
          Huh? He had people bashing him as unqualified to be a HC, for going for it on 4th down so much last year, for the way the team finished last year and the critiques reached very loud levels here when the team was so beat up and not playing well earlier this year. His coaching style is a lot like McVays and other younger coaches and I'm not sure why that wouldn't be sustainable - relating to your players is always a good thing.

In the end, he'll be judged by his record. The team is improving and trending upward. He fixed the ST last offseason. The D is getting better and better and is getting close to what we thought we'd see with the offseason additions. The offense needs to play better and it will be interesting to see if he moves on from Lombardi or believes it is personnel that needs to be addressed (I certainly know what people here think).

Comment

• Retired Football Fan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            Getting Sean Payton is a pipe dream. It's just not going to happen so making the playoffs, I think Staley is staying.
            Sorry, I just don't believe for a second that Dean Spanos is going to pony up the salary that Peyton would get elsewhere or even want to be here.

I doubt he's going to work here for the cheap salary all these Rookie coaches we always hire get.
            This is the truth. Spanos is not going to pay a real coach for this team. A real coach would have made a difference as recently as the 2017-2018 period. But we hired Anthony Lynn whose services were cheap since he was a first time coach.

Lynn wanted to tear the team down, and he wanted to rebuild lt into one he was qualified to coach. This translated into an offense focused on running the ball first, last and always. I recall a couple of games in 2017 which we lost just because Melvin Gordon was given the ball and told to run up the middle. Lynn liked this kind of offense because he thought it was safe---- no turnovers.

Unfortunately, there was no offense, either. The opposing team stacked the box and neutralized us in key moments.

Lynn was quite clearly the wrong coach for this team. He should never have received consideration for the job, but he got it. Unforgivable.

The Chargers had more talent on the field than almost every other team in football for a couple of years. It was the result extremely high draft picks. The team had performed so badly for a long time we were rewarded with many high draft picks. (Not even Telesco could screw it up)

The Chargers we're stacked and ready for several years of success in 2017.

What happened then?

We hired a coach who had different ideas. He wanted an offense led by Tyrod Taylor or Geno Smith. The experience of those years taught me that the owner of this team won't do what it takes to win. So the Chargers will be stuck with second or third rate coaches indefinitely

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

If you guys want to see Staley hate and backlash, read the comments from this article https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...was-warranted/

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Carlsbad, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                If you guys want to see Staley hate and backlash, read the comments from this article https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...was-warranted/
                Not a lot of Staley love there.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Not a lot of Staley love there.
                  General NFL fans want Staley suspended for his comments defending Derwin's hit not intentional.

Staley warning NFL offenses not to bring that weak stuff or your WR will get snuffed out.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Staley is not getting fired at this point and he shouldn't. The team is 9-6, probably gets to 10 wins
                    Who knows how they will do in the playoffs

But you are right, between the draft pick compensation and the cash, not sure Deano pays up to get him

That said, Telesco can leave the building at any time - ten years, zero divisions - he just isn't that good

Comment

• Air Coryell
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2021
                      • Carlsbad, CA
                      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Staley is not getting fired at this point and he shouldn't. The team is 9-6, probably gets to 10 wins

But you are right, between the draft pick compensation and the cash, not sure Deano pays up to get him

That said, Telesco can leave the building at any time - ten years, zero divisions - he just isn't that good
                      YUP---Replace TT and Joe (and John Boy too; but I doubt he will fire himself).

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I'm positive he won't pony it up. No chance positive.

As for TT I'm fine with them firing him but my only reason to say NO to that is IF his replacement will be Johnboy.

That would be a big fat F - No for me!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

I have been disillusioned with Staley at times but all in all i have liked him more than not.

He is a young new breed of football geek coach...he is bright...fully of energy and the players love him. I think he will keep growing in the job. He deserves credit for holding this team together thru alot of adversity an making the playoffs. You cant really fire a guy if his first 2 seasons are 9-8 and 11-6...and his culture is taking hold.

Staley does need to put his friendship aside and make a change at OC if he really wants to unlock the full potential of Justin Herbert and win some Super Bowls in the loaded AFC though.

Look at the AFC for the future....Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lawrence, Jackson etc. It is an arms race...you need to take the handcuffs off Justin Herbert

Comment

Working...
                          X