• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Me too! But I'm just afraid of what we're going to get. Same old first time, cheap GM. Or worse yet, Maybe John boy takes over as GM
    John boy has been decidedly groomed for a GM role, but I hope it never happens.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

That is the alternative.... Granted, the one time they hired a very experienced coach, Marty - team was pretty damn good

Not that they would pay for Sean Payton but I can see him going to a team and be like Andy Reid
      The Grand Poobah
      Head Coach, GM, Player Personnel - hires good people but runs the show
      Word is Jim Harbaugh could look at Jeff Ireland who is with the Saints right now to be his GM, if he ever returned to the NFL. . .

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

To think John Spanos tells Telesco who to draft is laughable.
        That is not what i get reading John Boy's Charger media page:
        In 2003 Spanos began working full-time as a scout. He methodically worked his way up through the organization before his career took a giant leap forward in 2013 when he was named Executive Vice President of Football Operations. This new position afforded him the opportunity to put his first big imprint on the organization, and he did just that as a key member of the selection committee responsible for the hiring of General Manager Tom Telesco. That year, the team returned to the playoffs for the first time since 2009 and won its first playoff game since 2008.

Spanos has seen his role in the NFL Draft grow exponentially since his ascension in 2013, and the results have been overwhelmingly positive. The team's 2013 draft yielded Pepsi Next NFL Rookie of the Year Keenan Allen. The 2014 draft class was headlined by cornerback Jason Verrett, who was selected to his first Pro Bowl in 2015 after leading the team in interceptions and passes defensed. The 2015 NFL Draft yielded the team's leading rusher in top pick Melvin Gordon, while second-round pick, linebacker Denzel Perryman, came within five tackles of the first 100-tackle season by a rookie in team history. The 2016 draft class produced NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Joey Bosa and tight end Hunter Henry, who led the team in touchdown receptions during his rookie season. Most recently, the 2017 draft class received high marks from media pundits as the team brought in, among others, Clemson National Champion wide receiver Mike Williams and All-American linemen Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney.

The 2017 season will mark Spanos' 22nd year in the NFL and his 19th with the team, with previous assignments within the organization including stints as a pro and college scout (2003-05), assistant director of college scouting (2006-07) and director of college scouting (2008-12).

Hey, Alex Spanos weighed in on drafting people.
        When John Boy was promoted to director of college scouting, that almost perfectly coincided with AJ Smith's poor draft results.
        Perhaps that was a coincidence....Smith was somewhat cantankerous and was in a position in 2008 to softly say " we won't go in that direction - but that is a real
        good idea John."

John Boy now is a lot older and self assured. He spent a decade in scouting full time. I doubt he thinks he is not qualified to render any decisions.
        With all of John Boy's experience in the Charger scouting department, If you are Telesco, you know who John Spanos' personal draft favorites are:
        you throw the lunkhead a bone every now and then.

And that is a minimal interpretation of his influence on their drafts.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

John boy has been decidedly groomed for a GM role, but I hope it never happens.
          GM reports to John boy. He already has 100% control over GM responsibilities and can pull strings as he see fits.

If you think Telesco has ever told Johnny to back off, I’ll make that personnel decision without your input, I got a bridge to sell you.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

GM reports to John boy. He already has 100% control over GM responsibilities and can pull strings as he see fits.

If you think Telesco has ever told Johnny to back off, I’ll make that personnel decision without your input, I got a bridge to sell you.
            Plus, he's been in the Charger organization longer than Telesco, spent 10 years in the Charger scouting department (from the ground floor up - yuck, yuck, yuck), and Daddy owns the team.

Telesco treads lightly when he is called to have a meeting in John Boy's office.

Who thinks otherwise?

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                it's not an issue of being more aggressive - it is an issue of NOT being a dumbass. the 4th down call in cleveland this year was one of the dumbest things i have ever seen watching football, and i have been watching football since 1979.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

it's not an issue of being more aggressive - it is an issue of NOT being a dumbass. the 4th down call in cleveland this year was one of the dumbest things i have ever seen watching football, and i have been watching football since 1979.
                  Do you remember last year 18th week ?

Comment

• northerner
                    Charger fan since '79
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Do you remember last year 18th week ?
                    yes, that was stupid too. that is why all these % analyses are just lame. you don't go for it on 4th down from your own 30 yard line in the middle of the game - I don't need ESPN to analyze that. it is dumb to go for it in that situation, and it will always be dumb.

Comment

• Berserker76
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Johnny Boy our GM, that would be a hoot. He could select the players and pick the coaching staff to boot. A Bolt fan's nightmare come true.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                        Johnny Boy our GM, that would be a hoot. He could select the players and pick the coaching staff to boot. A Bolt fan's nightmare come true.
                        Maybe that would be for the better.
                        He makes the decision, it blows up in the organizations face,
                        he's shuttled back to being PR director for the organization.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                          The truth is that this is probably closer to reality than we realize.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X