• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Sorry, but I’m not buying your declaration that who won it comes down to the last possession and ignore the other 3 1/2 quarters.

Just like statisticians which rank teams don’t just look at the last possessions of teams. They look at the entire game.

I’ll go with how every single analyst has judged offenses and defenses since the league was inaugurated which is the entirety of their play versus an isolated play or set of downs at the end of a game.

Our offense is ranked in the top 5 while the defense is almost dead last. The team would be 4-0 with an average defense.
    I h ave already tried to have the argument that the first half matters too but it falls on deafs ears at times.

The defense is still the big question mark for the team. Popper had a comment in the Athletic about how they are going to be all in on this season until they are mathematically eliminated

I am of the opinion if they go 0-2 these next two weeks - thats enough for me. No reason to go all in to finish 9-8

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Sorry, but I’m not buying your declaration that who won it comes down to the last possession and ignore the other 3 1/2 quarters.

Just like statisticians which rank teams don’t just look at the last possessions of teams. They look at the entire game.

I’ll go with how every single analyst has judged offenses and defenses since the league was inaugurated which is the entirety of their play versus an isolated play or set of downs at the end of a game.

Our offense is ranked in the top 5 while the defense is almost dead last. The team would be 4-0 with an average defense.
      Again with the stats. They don't win games. Most NFL games (more than 50%) are decided by one score. You have
      to close out games to win on a consistent basis in the NFL.

Nobody is ignoring the 3 1/2 quarters. You think the Chargers win the Raiders game without 7 sacks, two interceptions and
      giving the offense a short field? And we lost to Miami because our D failed us big time for four quarters.

You think the Chargers offense could have closed out the game against the Vikings by getting a 1st down when needed?
      They didn't and the D bailed us out.

In Q4 of the Titans game when things matter. The D stopped the Titans twice in Q4. It was punt, punt, TD for the Titans.
      So the D stopped them 2/3 of the time. Our offense: punt, punt, score 3 when they needed 7.

OT: our offense 3 and out. D allowed the FG.

So the D was 50% effective. Our offense was less than 25% effective. Should have closed out the game. They did not.

Those are the facts that have us at 2-2. Stats be damned.

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Again with the stats. They don't win games. Most NFL games (more than 50%) are decided by one score. You have

Nobody is ignoring the 3 1/2 quarters. You think the Chargers win the Raiders game without 7 sacks, two interceptions and
        giving the offense a short field? And we lost to Miami because our D failed us big time for four quarters.

You think the Chargers offense could have closed out the game against the Vikings by getting a 1st down when needed?

In Q4 of the Titans game when things matter. The D stopped the Titans twice in Q4. It was punt, punt, TD for the Titans.
        So the D stopped them 2/3 of the time. Our offense: punt, punt, score 3 when they needed 7.

So the D was 50% effective. Our offense was less than 25% effective. Should have closed out the game. They did not.

You say the D bailed out the O at the end of two games. Using the same logic I could say the O bailed out the D earlier in those games.

I know you dislike stats but I think they clearly show which sides doing more bailing this season.

It’s like a bodybuilder that has massive chest and arms but skinny legs preparing for a competition. He can always bench and curl some more to increase his mass, but squats will help him more against the competition.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          I'd have a serious case of cognitive dissonance if Bill were here.
          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

You say the D bailed out the O at the end of two games. Using the same logic I could say the O bailed out the D earlier in those games.

I know you dislike stats but I think they clearly show which sides doing more bailing this season.

It’s like a bodybuilder that has massive chest and arms but skinny legs preparing for a competition. He can always bench and curl some more to increase his mass, but squats will help him more against the competition.

The O has not bailed us out at all. They scored enough points to beat Miami and the Vikings. That doesn't mean they bailed us out.
            They needed to bail us out against the Titans, they did not. They did not need to bail us out against the Raiders, the D won that game.

You are confusing stats, that tell us how well or bad of a job we are doing compared to the rest of the league, with in game situations.

You see we all know and acknowledge that the D is the big problem We don't need stats to see that. If you can't get off the field on
            3rd and long consistently then we have a problem. What we don't agree on is the offense also needs improvement. This is evident
            in the 3/4 games we have played in. Unfortunately for whatever reason you and others keep pointing to stats, the problems of which
            do not show up in the numbers. We do not close out games. We are very poor in the 2nd half. These are the issues that need
            to be addressed on offense going forward. No need to discuss the D or look at rating/stats. That's a suckers game when we're only
            4 games into the season.

Comment

• AFboltfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2018
              • Balboa Park bench
              • Medical Simulation
              • Send PM

I feel like the Belichick rumors are nothing but click bait.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Our offense is now at least a top 10 in the league.
                Not sure about your 25% effective but just imagine if we can upgrade that 25% to 40 or 50%.
                A minimum of 40-45 points scored in each game ?
                No need of a good defense then !

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Our offense is now at least a top 10 in the league.
                  Not sure about your 25% effective but just imagine if we can upgrade that 25% to 40 or 50%.
                  A minimum of 40-45 points scored in each game ?
                  No need of a good defense then !
                  Ratings are a fools game at this point in the season.

The 25% effectiveness was for Q4 of the Titans game. We had a 4 point lead. The defense stopped the Titans twice.
                  All we needed was a TD or FG to essentially put the game away. We came away with nothing. Then at the end of the
                  game we needed a TD but settled for a FG. In OT 3 and out. That's failure. We scored 3 points out of four possessions
                  with the game on the line. Sorry if you cannot see that, but those are the facts.

No we don't need to score 40 in each game to win. We just need to close out close games. 27 would have won the Titans game.
                  That would have put us at 3-1. Then we can all blame the D as to why we're not 4-0.

We need a decent to good D. Nobody has ever denied that. However what you are denying is that the offense could of and should
                  of do better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Ratings are a fools game at this point in the season.

The 25% effectiveness was for Q4 of the Titans game. We had a 4 point lead. The defense stopped the Titans twice.
                    All we needed was a TD or FG to essentially put the game away. We came away with nothing. Then at the end of the
                    game we needed a TD but settled for a FG. In OT 3 and out. That's failure. We scored 3 points out of four possessions
                    with the game on the line. Sorry if you cannot see that, but those are the facts.

No we don't need to score 40 in each game to win. We just need to close out close games. 27 would have won the Titans game.
                    That would have put us at 3-1. Then we can all blame the D as to why we're not 4-0.

We need a decent to good D. Nobody has ever denied that. However what you are denying is that the offense could of and should
                    of do better.
                    The Titans game - at one point the Chargers lead 11-0
                    The defense at that point gave up a TD in three plays - 11-7
                    Offense made it 14-7
                    Defense gave up a FG before the half and a TD right after the half - tahnk you SJD - -that roughing the penalty. .so hear me out - -the Chargers lead 11-0 but after the firdst drive of the second half it was 17-14 - are you going to blame the offense for giving up the 17 points.

So how about this - -if the defense did its job earlier in the game -maybe the offense doesn't need to score
                    maybe if its 11 zip and the offense gets the ball back - they can make it 14 zip or even 18, or 19 zip

its a four quarter game -- I get why the 4th quarter is looked at differently. but discounting three quarters of the game is nonsensical

The Chargers defense is still a concern more than the Chargers offense

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Titans game - at one point the Chargers lead 11-0
                      The defense at that point gave up a TD in three plays - 11-7
                      Offense made it 14-7
                      Defense gave up a FG before the half and a TD right after the half - tahnk you SJD - -that roughing the penalty. .so hear me out - -the Chargers lead 11-0 but after the firdst drive of the second half it was 17-14 - are you going to blame the offense for giving up the 17 points.

So how about this - -if the defense did its job earlier in the game -maybe the offense doesn't need to score
                      maybe if its 11 zip and the offense gets the ball back - they can make it 14 zip or even 18, or 19 zip

its a four quarter game -- I get why the 4th quarter is looked at differently. but discounting three quarters of the game is nonsensical

The Chargers defense is still a concern more than the Chargers offense
                      No not blaming the offense for the first half at all. But you win or lose games in Q4 not in the first half. Since you so bent of stats.
                      Remember that more than 50% of the games are decided by one score. We were leading 27-7 at half in the PO game. We lost. by 1.

Yes I am more concerned about the defense. But it doesn't change the facts. We almost blew the Raiders game because the offense
                      scored 0 in the 2nd half. We lost the Titans game because the offense couldn't get the job done when it mattered. Of course the D blew
                      it. But it came down to the offense to win the game and they failed.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I'd have a serious case of cognitive dissonance if Bill were here.
                        Right now the only older coaches I can think of worth a bleep are Pete Carol and Andy Reid. Given his age he would not be allowed to be GM and the Charger Brass would have to sign-off on all his assistant coaches at the coordinator positions. He's done a terrible job at GM and because of that put together a terrible offensive skill position roster. Right now Staley looks like a genius compared to Hoody. I don't think he would get big Guaranteed money but an incentivized contract at best.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Right now the only older coaches I can think of worth a bleep are Pete Carol and Andy Reid. Given his age he would not be allowed to be GM and the Charger Brass would have to sign-off on all his assistant coaches at the coordinator positions. He's done a terrible job at GM and because of that put together a terrible offensive skill position roster. Right now Staley looks like a genius compared to Hoody. I don't think he would get big Guaranteed money but an incentivized contract at best.
                          Probably shouldn't use the word genius and Staley in the same sentence with the kind of context you are providing.

Comment

Working...
                          X