Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Look at the record... - 85-67

Thats not a has been

You are pretty high on Frank Smith - yet Mike McDaniel calls the plays. Seems like Frank Smith and Derrick Antsly have a lot in common - just assistant coaches
    Frank will reset the Chargers as best a HC can. Telesco needs to go too but not as certain who that replacement should be.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Frank will reset the Chargers as best a HC can. Telesco needs to go too but not as certain who that replacement should be.
      Apologize for the somewhat snarky asshat comment ---

But I get you - I think the chargers have really felt the loss of Smith in the running game and OLine. And I am sure he will be a fine coach in the NFL. Look at Siriani and Steichen. But for the Chargers only, this first time HC thing just doesn't seem to work out as well as hiring a head coach with experience. Mike Riley and Dan Henning aside: Bobby Ross, Marty and Norv have all been more successful than Al Saunders, Kevin Gilbride, McCoy, Lynn and Telesco.

Now of course - getting the right GM is important too - so its a package deal.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        Delusional fans think there's a magic reset button.
        The only thing you resetting is the timeline for Herbert to begin again. I said it with Lynn, don't reset the QB who won OROY under Steichen OC. But Spanos reset and gave you Staley. Well then commit to Staley program. It been 2 years and 6 games. He should get 4 or 5 years before any reset ideas.
        Staley's going backwards . . . . . . . . . . what has he shown to deserve more time? You're advocating that Staley get up to 2 MORE years after this season to 'prove himself'? The only thing this will accomplish is to burn more years of 'prime Herbert'. Frankly the thought of that makes me want to throw up a little . . . . . . . . . .

If you're concerned about Herbert's continuity then require the new HC to keep Moore and fill in the staff around him as he wishes. This will limit the desirability of the HC job, but let's be honest - none of the big name guys are coming here anyway, and any of the rest will jump at the chance, no matter what the constraints are . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Than Telesco needs to change as that guy for sure has shown an inability to build a roster with an identity. Two areas that Telesco has been very inconsistent: Oline and Defense. Year to year - he brings in players. But its not working

So to your point, if only one of them is back - I would bring back Staley

Telesco needs to get the pink slip
          I agree Telesco can go first.

Telesco best OL players all showed up when Staley arrived.
          First big FA signing after Staley hire was Linsley-OC Unfortunate about his health this year. But he is one of the best. Started 30 games last 2 seasons.
          First pick of Staley era was Slater-LT.
          And big trade for Mack which was Staley's dude.
          The Chargers got better with these moves and they have Staley name on each move. I even like the aggressive swing and miss on JCJ and then the aggressive pivot and trade of him. And the pick up of Kellen Moore even if it's work in progress. That is Staley.

Chargers can easily get back to 4-4 and in the hunt. Possibly get clicking and healthy at right time. But drop to 2-5 or 2-6 and it's over.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Hit and miss in first will eventually catch up to Mr. Tom. Staley works hard to develop but pieces in place prior to his hiring, they’re taking huge cap hits on, namely Bosa, turn my stomach. Derwin is edge rusher period, don’t like his boneheaded play @ safety, needs to dig in trenches. Opposite Mack, who has really balled out. Hated going another big WR in first, even though I believe Quentin Will eventually figure things out, they needed immediate impact in the backend or one of the tree available, dynamic franchise TE’s. There is a disconnect somewhere, from talent evaluation to player implementation on field, like there is no real plan or vision in place. Never expected this team to be so bad but here we are.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Miami WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFFS. Sounds pretty good to me.

He purposely brought in Mostert, brought in Hill and drafted Archane. The speed didn't get there by accident.

He is also the coach that has gotten the most out of the QB the Dolphins drafted 5th overall.

Seems to me that a coach who a designed a system that fits his players and gets the most out of them is a coach I wouldn't mind having. I think he has done some pretty great things for a very young head coach just into his 2nd year.

Oh and as a fan I would have no problem watching the the most exciting team in the NFL.
              They may be the 1980's version of the Chargers. Exciting yes. But will they win a championship? From what I've seen I don't think so.
              They keep running into road blocks which they can't figure out. Last year they went into a 5 game losing streak. This year they already
              have lost to division rival Buffalo, who at times has not looked too good. Can't fault them from losing to Philly, that's a tough team. The
              other so called good team was the Chargers and we all know how that played out. The rest of their schedule has been fluff.

They will make the PO unless the Jets beat them and we of all teams somehow beat them out, doubtful.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2018
                • Balboa Park bench
                • Medical Simulation
                • Send PM

First big FA signing after Staley hire was Linsley-OC Unfortunate about his health this year. But he is one of the best. Started 30 games last 2 seasons.
                The Chargers got better with these moves and they have Staley name on each move. I even like the aggressive swing and miss on JCJ and then the aggressive pivot and trade of him. And the pick up of Kellen Moore even if it's work in progress. That is Staley.

Chargers can easily get back to 4-4 and in the hunt. Possibly get clicking and healthy at right time. But drop to 2-5 or 2-6 and it's over.
                I doubt it.... That's like giving Lynn credit for Herbert.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Sounds like you're making a case for Staley as GM...fire TT, kick Staley upstairs, and hire a new HC...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

I doubt it.... That's like giving Lynn credit for Herbert.
                    Herbie was TT's choice, from a report I read...on the other hand, Lynn was pounding the table for K9...how'd that work out?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Sounds like you're making a case for Staley as GM...fire TT, kick Staley upstairs, and hire a new HC...
                      He might be better as a GM but would his ego allow it

Plus what kind of head coach would he have in mind and what kind of staff would they hire

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2023
                        • Send PM

The only thing you resetting is the timeline for Herbert to begin again. I said it with Lynn, don't reset the QB who won OROY under Steichen OC. But Spanos reset and gave you Staley. Well then commit to Staley program. It been 2 years and 6 games. He should get 4 or 5 years before any reset ideas.
                        Don't like your metaphor.

I prefer the falls are up ahead and Captain Staley's just cut the motor.
                        What are you going to do Critty?

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

4 or 5 years? Glad to see you've retained your sense of humor, Critty!

Comment

Working...
                          X