• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

To be fair, he has nowhere to go but forward.
    Start making wholesale changes now and he's sunk.

He's hoping something will click soon .....
    Sticking with something that hasn't worked for 44 games yet and hoping that doing the exact same thing in the next 8 will flip the script is idiotic. Try something, anything different. Since he won't, he is already sunk.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Sticking with something that hasn't worked for 44 games yet and hoping that doing the exact same thing in the next 8 will flip the script is idiotic. Try something, anything different. Since he won't, he is already sunk.
      I saw somebody post on twitter that he respected the fact that Staley was going to stand by his convictions and coach them how they want - even if he loses his job

My thought - a coach should be adaptable and if its not working, find a new game plan. John Fox and Mike McCoy had to create an offense mid-season for Tebow.

Staley is in over his head if he continues to do the same thing over and over this Sunday - especially on 3rd and long playing 10 yards deep - he deserves to get fired

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Mike Tomlin has not had a losing season in 16 years. At worst .500

Its more about organizational philosophy and alignment from the Owner to the GM to the Head Coach
        They are not good every year but they are consistent in their approach and roster philosophy
        .500 isn’t any good, so so what on that but I agree they have had a better org with better results than the Chargers. I have no idea its this theory of alignment mesh perfection from owner to GM to HC, or its simply a better HC, better GM, better head scout, I don’t know. I think its mostly HC as the roster quality has deteriorated annd that coincided with their drop in performance.

They used to win the division all of the time and compete for the SB regularly, now they seldom even contend for the division and are never seriously considered a SB contender. Maybe this year is their return to glory - or maybe not. I’m not ready to crown them based on the one game I watched - they weren’t good in that game. But I don’t follow them avidly.

The owner died/changed twice in the last ~25 years.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

.500 isn’t any good, so so what on that but I agree they have had a better org with better results than the Chargers. I have no idea its this theory of alignment mesh perfection from owner to GM to HC, or its simply a better HC, better GM, better head scout, I don’t know. I think its mostly HC as the roster quality has deteriorated annd that coincided with their drop in performance.

They used to win the division all of the time and compete for the SB regularly, now they seldom even contend for the division and are never seriously considered a SB contender. Maybe this year is their return to glory - or maybe not. I’m not ready to crown them based on the one game I watched - they weren’t good in that game. But I don’t follow them avidly.

The owner died/changed twice in the last ~25 years.
          Again - its organizational philosophy from owner to gm to head coach - it all has to work. The Chargers are lacking at the most critical area - ownership and front office. I also think Staley is in over his head but with a better front office - coaches might also succeed. The GM is terrible for the Chargers -he is terrible

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

I saw somebody post on twitter that he respected the fact that Staley was going to stand by his convictions and coach them how they want - even if he loses his job

My thought - a coach should be adaptable and if its not working, find a new game plan. John Fox and Mike McCoy had to create an offense mid-season for Tebow.

Staley is in over his head if he continues to do the same thing over and over this Sunday - especially on 3rd and long playing 10 yards deep - he deserves to get fired
            We must follow the same feeds - I saw that too.

I've always thought that the main job of a coach is to motivate your players to perform to the best of their ability and put them in a position to succeed. It appears as if Staley does neither particularly well.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

Change to what? Staley only knows one style of NFL defense, given his complete lack of experience in others.

Channel up his Mercyhurst defenses?

I don't think the solution is bringing your back 7 closer to the line of scrimmage and attack or press more,
              or having Bosa/Mack line up less wide: they haven't practiced that way and now its a little bit late.

This is the only style Staley has learned in the 2 years he was with Fangio.
              He has nothing else to go by.

The sad situation is that his exotic, detailed pass coverage schemes confuse no one, save rookie qbs;
              his thinking must be that there are gaps in coverages that are needless - they just don't play it correctly.

He's a crappy teacher, sure!

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Please, make this guy the Chargers next head coach.

Johnson, a likely hot head-coaching candidate this offseason, showed off his play-calling chops in the Lions' win over the Chargers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

We must follow the same feeds - I saw that too.

I've always thought that the main job of a coach is to motivate your players to perform to the best of their ability and put them in a position to succeed. It appears as if Staley does neither particularly well.
                  We probably do follow similar feeds - yesterday the QB graph and that quite

I think a Head Coach has many facets: motivation is one, mentoring, communication, i think also teaching players to be better at their craft (or hiring a staff that can help) and finally, peparing for a given opponent and giving your team the best chance to win a game

I remember when Lane Kiffin was at Tennesee and they were playing Alabama. Bama of course won but Kiffin coached his backside off (well I thought) based on how he coached that game. He kept a game close that shouldn't have been close. And I am not advocating for Lane Kiffin and his overhead projector (Oakland reference )..... but come on Staley, if its not working, figure out something that might

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Please, make this guy the Chargers next head coach.

https://theathletic.com/5070234/2023...ilm-breakdown/
                    Good read - thanks for posting

(and I still don't want him as a head coach this hiring season )

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Good read - thanks for posting

(and I still don't want him as a head coach this hiring season )
                      He looks sort of like Brandon Staley!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

He looks sort of like Brandon Staley!
                        Velo is probably right that Ben Johnson will make a solid head football coach. Eagles, Steelers, Ravens - sure, he would probably have success

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Velo is probably right that Ben Johnson will make a solid head football coach. Eagles, Steelers, Ravens - sure, he would probably have success
                          I want a Zac Taylor, Nick Sirianni, Demeco Ryans, Shane Steichen, Mike McDaniel, Kevin Stefanski type of HC, a guy who has been in the league for awhile who is fresh and innovative and has a proven track record of successfully coaching players to success. I don't want a guy who hasn't coach in the league for over a decade and has the stench of a college cheating scandal (Harblah) or an old curmudgeon who is going to hire Josh McDaniels to be Herbert's OC (Belichick).

Comment

Working...
                          X