• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That would be crap. Been watching that show for 11 years. I dont want any of those guys.
    I might take a big step back from the team if they did that in my quest to try and be done with the franchise with this ownership. Lincoln Riley would really piss me off.

Telesco has to be let go first. Ben Johnson has done nothing in Detroit. Their GM has just drafted well and Campbell turns out is a good HC. Telesco has not drafted well enough. He has been ok lately but needs to be better.
    JohnBoy has a role in there somewhere, just not sure where, but he needs to step back as well and let the next GM decide who to hire. We dont need JohnBoys lack of football knowledge fingerprints all over this team.
    I totally agree with you. I am just saying the hot names

I looked it up - posted it earlier but will post again

Under Alex and Dean
    five first time head coaches; Al Saunders, Kevin Gilbride, June Jones (not sure if he was new or not), and now McCoy, Staley and Lynn - as of today 115-135

five coaches with experience: Dan Henning, Mike Riley, Boss Ross, Marty and Norval Eugene - 186-180 - but if you take out Henning and Riley, it goes to like 42 games over .500 as those two were a combined 36 games under .500

For the Spanos family and the Chargers -- experience does matter. Those figures alone should knock any first time HC candidate with like 2 years as a coordinator off the board. It won't but it should

Quinn, Harbaugh, Garrett (his record in Dallas is actually pretty darn good), Morris, Caldwell.. - even a guy like Bisaccia with his many years as a coach and his interim time with the Raiders after all that hullaballoo -

I wish I could remember the poster who wrote it but Doug Pederson was the guy to hire and they totally flamed out on him

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Agree, it shouldnt be hard to find and hire a vet HC who has won in the league. They just have to pay them....and shit can Telesco for a GM who is a little more aggressive and better at finding talent.
      quoted for truth

Telesco also has never built an identity consistently on the OL and Defense - find somebody who understands that

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I totally agree with you. I am just saying the hot names

I looked it up - posted it earlier but will post again

Under Alex and Dean
        five first time head coaches; Al Saunders, Kevin Gilbride, June Jones (not sure if he was new or not), and now McCoy, Staley and Lynn - as of today 115-135

five coaches with experience: Dan Henning, Mike Riley, Boss Ross, Marty and Norval Eugene - 186-180 - but if you take out Henning and Riley, it goes to like 42 games over .500 as those two were a combined 36 games under .500

For the Spanos family and the Chargers -- experience does matter. Those figures alone should knock any first time HC candidate with like 2 years as a coordinator off the board. It won't but it should

Quinn, Harbaugh, Garrett (his record in Dallas is actually pretty darn good), Morris, Caldwell.. - even a guy like Bisaccia with his many years as a coach and his interim time with the Raiders after all that hullaballoo -

I wish I could remember the poster who wrote it but Doug Pederson was the guy to hire and they totally flamed out on him
        Henning was never a HC til we made him one. He was a OC who got promoted....so yeah...agree. Riley was but he was given Ryan Leaf by Beathard and it was said that Riley was telling Beathard to draft Brady when he fell to the 5th round and Beathard passed and ended up drafting some scrub QB in the 6th.

Riley got a bum rap here and i dont think he would of ended up as some great coach but he gets crapped on more than he should.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Henning was never a HC til we made him one. He was a OC who got promoted....so yeah...agree. Riley was but he was given Ryan Leaf by Beathard and it was said that Riley was telling Beathard to draft Brady when he fell to the 5th round and Beathard passed and ended up drafting some scrub QB in the 6th.

Riley got a bum rap here and i dont think he would of ended up as some great coach but he gets crapped on more than he should.
          Beathard drafted a guy by the name of JaJuan Seider who is now, well the last I read, an assistant coach, maybe the OC at Penn State and was on some lists to be a HC and the smaller non-power 5 schools in college football

Good point about Riley - he was probably a better HC but was stuck with Leaf.

Good call about Henning - it makes the numbers even more skewed than comparing first HC to more experienced head coaches...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yes young innovative coaches have succeeded. The Chargers just can’t identify them.

yes older/experienced coaches have failed but you hedge your bet by choosing an older/experienced coach whose experience includes previous success as a HC. Those guys seem to continue to succeed. That’s why people talk about Harbaugh so much
            Almost ALL previously experienced HC’s are ones that failed most recently - or they wouldn’t be a “previous HC”. Doesn’t mean they are or are not really good HCs but usually their last spot has a stain on it. Harbaugh, Payton, etc., those are the exceptions and not the general candidate pool usually.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Almost ALL previously experienced HC’s are ones that failed most recently - or they wouldn’t be a “previous HC”. Doesn’t mean they are or are not really good HCs but usually their last spot has a stain on it. Harbaugh, Payton, etc., those are the exceptions and not the general candidate pool usually.
              Name them
              McCarthy is doing okay in Dallas after a solid stint in GB
              Josh McD - he was terrible in Denver and now with the Raiders
              Quinn - only one job
              Caldwell - did a good job in Indy but solid in Detroit
              Marvin lewis - only the one job

Schwartz - ended poorly in Detroit but has a top notch defense in Cleveland now

Zimmer - hasn't got a second chance
              Arians did fine in his second chance in Tampa

So who are these "previous HCs" that have not succeeded - I am not tryiing to be a smart aleck - I just cannot name one truly other than McD. Its not like I want to hire Pat Shurmur or Ben McAdoo or Jim Mora Jr.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

For those clamoring for an experienced head coach... only 11 of the current head coaches were previous head coaches. Their collective record is 41-43 this season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Staley is going to be a previous experienced HC and I wouldn't hire him. I did say a experienced HC that had success.

Harbaugh fits. Marvin Lewis does not imo and a hard NO.
                  Billick even fits.
                  I'm a skeptic on Quinn but id consider him... no to Swartz & Caldwell.
                  Zimmer id consider, definitely over Moore who I don't think is ready.

For some reason I didn't want Garrett. His offense seemed bland. But I do think we should hire a offensive HC next time so though I said I'd consider Quinn, Zimmer..... If prefer a offensive guy.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                    For those clamoring for an experienced head coach... only 11 of the current head coaches were previous head coaches. Their collective record is 41-43 this season.
                    Dean and JohnBoy just can't find the right rookie HC and get sold on how well they talk because JB don't know shit.
                    How much say Telesco had, idk and not sure he gets to have final say over JB.

Regardless, TT needs to go. I know some will say I'm premature on that as we have a chance this season to make the playoffs but I've seen enough. It's been 11 years.
                    He doesn't bring the aggressiveness he needs to get this team over the hump.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Staley is going to be a previous experienced HC and I wouldn't hire him. I did say a experienced HC that had success.

Harbaugh fits. Marvin Lewis does not imo and a hard NO.
                      Billick even fits.
                      I'm a skeptic on Quinn but id consider him... no to Swartz & Caldwell.
                      Zimmer id consider, definitely over Moore who I don't think is ready.

For some reason I didn't want Garrett. His offense seemed bland. But I do think we should hire a offensive HC next time so though I said I'd consider Quinn, Zimmer..... If prefer a offensive guy.
                      I think Billick is retired but not sure why he never got a second chance actually

Harbaugh is far and away the top of the list
                      Quinn might be okay
                      Zimmer - he didn't get along with Cousins and thats concerning as Herbert is the team - not the defense.
                      Garrett doesn't bother me

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think Billick is retired but not sure why he never got a second chance actually

Harbaugh is far and away the top of the list
                        Quinn might be okay
                        Zimmer - he didn't get along with Cousins and thats concerning as Herbert is the team - not the defense.
                        Garrett doesn't bother me
                        Yea Zimmer seems to be kind of an asshole.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                          Again, I am not talking about the rest of the NFL - I am talking about the Chargers under the ownership of the Spanos family

As others have said, other organizations with stronger ownership/front office can hire a first time head coach and succeed

The DATA shows - -it doesn't work for the Chargers under the current model

the best teams were put together by an experienced GM with a very good head coach - Marty and Butler.

Comment

Working...
                          X