• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

When we started the season we had 2 pass rushers (Bosa, Mack), a rookie (Tuli) and JAG (Rumph). Given Mack's age and Bosa's inability to stay healthy it was (IMO) imperative that more quality pass rush depth be brought in. Van Noy was the obvious choice. Telesco elected not to pursue him - even though there was a clear need and KVN's cost would have been affordable. That's a failure to plan ahead on TT's part, similar to the depth at center issue.

We've been (mostly) saved by Tuli's emergence, but imagine how much better we could be with a foursome of Mack, Bosa, Tuli & KVN? I see this as another indication of TT's inability to let his draft choices go (Rumph) when they're not performing (see McKitty) unless it's absolutely rubbed in his face.

To be fair Rumph hasn't been as bad as McKitty - but he hasn't done anything either. He's the poster child for 'JAG'. I'd be willing to bet Farmer (UDFA) could give us as much or more - it wouldn't be hard.
    He filled in nicely for us last year and he is filling in nicely for the Ravens. But my question still remains - why did every single team in the entire league pass on him the entire off season and he did not even get signed to a roster until the 3rd week of the season (and only then because of injury)?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He filled in nicely for us last year and he is filling in nicely for the Ravens. But my question still remains - why did every single team in the entire league pass on him the entire off season and he did not even get signed to a roster until the 3rd week of the season (and only then because of injury)?
      This isn't the correct question to be asking. KVN obviously can still play, so why didn't TT make quality depth at a critical position a priority and get him locked up before anyone else? Like - in training camp? Why does he continue to rely on Rumph as 'quality' depth, when he's clearly nothing of the sort, and has not ever been?

Now - hypothetically;
      KVN's at the end of his career, and like all these guys wants to go out a winner, so he may have been approached by any number of teams, including the Chargers, but he held out until the right team came asking. If the right team didn't call - he just stays retired. Hard to disagree with the way it's worked out for him. So maybe TT did make an effort to bring him in, but after playing for the Chargers KVN knew what the team was all about and wanted to upgrade, so he said no thanks - I'll wait? Who knows - it's plausible.

I refuse to give TT a pass for not realizing what he had (or didn't have) in Rumph. Rumph's had enough time to show us what he's all about . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and he's all about taking up a roster spot - not much different than McKitty from a perspective of productivity . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Not sure I'd go THAT far . . . . . . . . . . Doesn't mean he's any good though . . . . . .
        Entering week 9, Chargers are 1-9 against winning record opponents and it’s the awful coaching of the defense that’s the problem

Sure the offense hasn’t been lights out all the time but Moore was installing a new offense with new players to him. That takes time and Herbert is a wounded duck.

Staley on the other hand has had a few years with the players and the system yet it’s still a smelly bag of dicks.

Here’s a bet. I say there’s no way in hell anybody hires Staley as either a HC or DC if Telesco fires him.

He will have to work his way up from the bottom rung if the NFL even gives him another chance.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

This isn't the correct question to be asking. KVN obviously can still play, so why didn't TT make quality depth at a critical position a priority and get him locked up before anyone else? Like - in training camp? Why does he continue to rely on Rumph as 'quality' depth, when he's clearly nothing of the sort, and has not ever been?

Now - hypothetically;
          KVN's at the end of his career, and like all these guys wants to go out a winner, so he may have been approached by any number of teams, including the Chargers, but he held out until the right team came asking. If the right team didn't call - he just stays retired. Hard to disagree with the way it's worked out for him. So maybe TT did make an effort to bring him in, but after playing for the Chargers KVN knew what the team was all about and wanted to upgrade, so he said no thanks - I'll wait? Who knows - it's plausible.

I refuse to give TT a pass for not realizing what he had (or didn't have) in Rumph. Rumph's had enough time to show us what he's all about . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and he's all about taking up a roster spot - not much different than McKitty from a perspective of productivity . . . . . . . . .
          I remember an interview where KVN said he wanted to come back and play for the Chargers. Another pathetic example of Staley’s poor judgement of talent.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Entering week 9, Chargers are 1-9 against winning record opponents and it’s the awful coaching of the defense that’s the problem

Here’s a bet. I say there’s no way in hell anybody hires Staley as either a HC or DC if Telesco fires him.

He will have to work his way up from the bottom rung if the NFL even gives him another chance.

That's the definition of a 'sucker bet' . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no thank you !

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

You're asking the wrong question. The only relevant question is why didn't TT sign him? We knew who he is, at a PON of this team and has all the intangibles.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I remember an interview where KVN said he wanted to come back and play for the Chargers. Another pathetic example of Staley’s poor judgement of talent.

Did he say that? If so - NOT having him on the team is a monumental blunder . . . . . . . . . . . it just seems SO obvious; guy was a class act, a leader, productive, and relatively cheap. WTH?????

This is one of the most frustrating parts of the Staley / TT regime - that there are clear and obvious issues or things that we fans can see, that are realistically or easily resolvable, but DON"T get addressed;

Don't play your top line players in a meaningless game ahead of the playoffs
                Don't play JCJ one on one with Tyreek Hill (or Waddle)
                Don't go into the season with Crapp as your backup plan at center
                Don't play zone against Mahomes and Kelce
                Don't keep underperforming players on the team - no matter what their draft status was
                Don't keep a plodding, unimaginative OC on the staff all year

Sigh . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Now - hypothetically;

I truly wonder if Telesco can take a player on film and scouting and project them to the NFL level. As he misses a lot with those 3rd - 5th rounders it seems. Just go down the list of those 3rd and 4tjhround picks - except for Allen, maybe Palmer as he is coming along he has missed. A lot. So maybe the player looks good on film but that doesn't translate to the NFL level. Or maybe the scheme they play is different from what the Chargers coach and play

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I truly wonder if Telesco can take a player on film and scouting and project them to the NFL level. As he misses a lot with those 3rd - 5th rounders it seems. Just go down the list of those 3rd and 4tjhround picks - except for Allen, maybe Palmer as he is coming along he has missed. A lot. So maybe the player looks good on film but that doesn't translate to the NFL level. Or maybe the scheme they play is different from what the Chargers coach and play
                    Who knows? TT's made some good draft picks, and some bad ones . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm willing to bet he's on par for the average NFL GM on his 'hits and misses', though it doesn't seem so to us committed fans , but what I have a more difficult time getting past is the obvious things that should have been done, but weren't . . . . . . . . . for whatever reason.

The Chargers, as a management group, inclusive of; ownership, GM, scouts, coaches, etc. are a below average group, and have been for a long time. This is a handicap that is difficult for the players to overcome in the long run, which is why we have . . . . . . . . . . continued mediocrity . . . . . despite having success drafting the most important position on the field.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Vikings and Bengals overcome injuries and turned season around.

Even Jets are balling.

Can Brandon turn it around?

Yes he cant.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Well he did it last year. So there’s that…..
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You're asking the wrong question. The only relevant question is why didn't TT sign him? We knew who he is, at a PON of this team and has all the intangibles.
                          Not really, a few here a criticizing TT for not re-signing him, yet all other 31 GMs in the league passed on him as well. Do they deserve criticism as well? Or is the love just centered on TT?

Comment

Working...
                          X