• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Wasn't that Josh Allen who run without helmet in colleage game?

Ppl been saying he would get injured since draft, maybe he is super durable.

Buffalo playing like yesterday - extremely hard to beat team.
    Maybe he can be as tough and durable as Brett Favre, there’s a guy that had no business playing as long as he did…IDK, some rare people are just made out of more durable materials, denser muscle and bone tissue…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Maybe he can be as tough and durable as Brett Favre, there’s a guy that had no business playing as long as he did…IDK, some rare people are just made out of more durable materials, denser muscle and bone tissue…
      I think Herbert is also one of those people
      as evidenced by that KC defender hurting himself trying to tackle him in his first game.
      and iirc there has been a handful of times something similar has happened.

of course, I'd like to never have to find out.
      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think Herbert is also one of those people
        as evidenced by that KC defender hurting himself trying to tackle him in his first game.
        and iirc there has been a handful of times something similar has happened.

of course, I'd like to never have to find out.
        Darius Philon was knocked out in the 4rth quarter of the final game running into Herbrert

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

I think Allen is headed the Lamar route….i dont care how muscled and stout you are when your foot plants and someone hits you low into the knee or get gang tackled at some point you will have an injury. Ravens were dominating the AFC last year until Lamars injury and they lost out of playoffs completely to a far inferior Bengals team imo.

Qbs and running often should not be mixed….it NEVER ends well. Taking off and sliding to avoid hits is one thing or the short yardage sneak but Vick, Newton, Lamar and others never made it to SB champion and all had significant injuries that derailed seasons and I think careers. If you arent a good enough passer eventually it catches up to you in the NFL and careers get shortened.

Allen may be a good passer but invincible he is not. He takes some hits and laughs but that youthful smile gunna be in pain 1 day….its going to happen with his wreckless running style. Maybe he will break the streak and win a SB but i think he may risk an entire season when taking a slide after a 1st down gets the job done….let those cheap RB take the hits not your prized franchise QB.

Comment

• Craig440
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

I agree with ya. I have noticed Justin only runs when necessary and he slides before the hit. I think he took Mahomes advice when he told him "Don't take the big hits".

I think Josh Allen is reckless and his coaches are even more reckless to have him running last night when they had already won. Who does that?

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

A lot of QB runs, they don't take a hit. Lamar Jackson has a lot of run plays where he doesn't take a hit, or if he does it is a very light blow.

My problem with Jackson is that while most of his runs don't expose him, he does take some bigger hits and because he is running a LOT, that is still going to add up. Plus, it only takes one fluky hit to take him down.

Allen is much the same, although he seems to be hit on a lot of his runs. Not huge hits mostly, but still.

Herbert took a lot of hits his rookie year. To some degree, it helped him win over his teammates. But last year, he seemed to wise up and I can't recall him taking any unnecessary hits. I think he is inclined to play football the way it is intended, but smart enough not to.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

I think Herbert has been smart about it. I wouldnt mind a couple more efforts to sneak out if guys are covered and he sees an openjng but he is so good on those collapsed pocket plays it often doesnt matter so much as he makes completions. I do like the forcing of the D lbs and safeties to account for him though hence it may open up the middle when he wants to move into a space and threaten runs. 1 more player to have to account for is never bad. That said i want to avoid any big hits.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

I heard a quote from Lombardi this off-season (can’t remember where) where he said Herbert will run a bit more this year. It is an extremely effective weapon in the right spot.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    A lot of QB runs, they don't take a hit. Lamar Jackson has a lot of run plays where he doesn't take a hit, or if he does it is a very light blow.

My problem with Jackson is that while most of his runs don't expose him, he does take some bigger hits and because he is running a LOT, that is still going to add up. Plus, it only takes one fluky hit to take him down.

Allen is much the same, although he seems to be hit on a lot of his runs. Not huge hits mostly, but still.

Herbert took a lot of hits his rookie year. To some degree, it helped him win over his teammates. But last year, he seemed to wise up and I can't recall him taking any unnecessary hits. I think he is inclined to play football the way it is intended, but smart enough not to.
                    They almost wishboned Allen on one run. He’s a tough tough kid but he’s playing with fire. There’s a long list of tough tough guys who got hurt in the NFL and were never the same. Calling a QB Run deep into Q4 when they had the game in hand was reckless. Only question I have is did the coaches really call that play or did Allen audible into it.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

With Derwin covering Waller tomorrow, and KC TE Travis Kelce on Thursday, the Raiders and the Chiefs better be looking for offensive production somewhere else.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                        I think Allen is headed the Lamar route….i dont care how muscled and stout you are when your foot plants and someone hits you low into the knee or get gang tackled at some point you will have an injury. Ravens were dominating the AFC last year until Lamars injury and they lost out of playoffs completely to a far inferior Bengals team imo.

Qbs and running often should not be mixed….it NEVER ends well. Taking off and sliding to avoid hits is one thing or the short yardage sneak but Vick, Newton, Lamar and others never made it to SB champion and all had significant injuries that derailed seasons and I think careers. If you arent a good enough passer eventually it catches up to you in the NFL and careers get shortened.

Allen may be a good passer but invincible he is not. He takes some hits and laughs but that youthful smile gunna be in pain 1 day….its going to happen with his wreckless running style. Maybe he will break the streak and win a SB but i think he may risk an entire season when taking a slide after a 1st down gets the job done….let those cheap RB take the hits not your prized franchise QB.
                        I endorse this. I think that if Bills' HC Sean McDermott continues to let Allen run that way, there's going to come a time when he doesn't get off the field. I read that this season NFL officials have been instructed to not protect QBs as much when they run pass the LOS, to treat them as RBs, not QBs, and let defenders take the same shots at them as they would RBs. There is this consensus that QBs were being coddled by refs beyond the LOS and defenders have been hesitant to tackle them for fear of getting flagged. I have definitely noticed this. This is going to make Allen's runs more dangerous. Sooner or later defenders are going to grow weary of Allen ripping off big runs and someone is going to lay out Allen and he's not going to get up.

I'm glad Herbert does not do this. He is capable of ripping of large ground gains when that is open to him. But he has become pretty good about sliding and not taking a hit. Herbert btw is an inch taller than Allen, but his rookie weight weight was the same as Allen. Supposedly, Herbert, according to him, has put on some muscle weight this off-season and is up to 240 lbs. Herbert is noticeably leaner than Allen, and I think it's because Herbert has more muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'm not saying Allen is fat by any stretch, but I'll bet you Herbert's BMI is superior to Allen's.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I endorse this. I think that if Bills' HC Sean McDermott continues to let Allen run that way, there's going to come a time when he doesn't get off the field. I read that this season NFL officials have been instructed to not protect QBs as much when they run pass the LOS, to treat them as RBs, not QBs, and let defenders take the same shots at them as they would RBs. There is this consensus that QBs were being coddled by refs beyond the LOS and defenders have been hesitant to tackle them for fear of getting flagged. I have definitely noticed this. This is going to make Allen's runs more dangerous. Sooner or later defenders are going to grow weary of Allen ripping off big runs and someone is going to lay out Allen and he's not going to get up.

I'm glad Herbert does not do this. He is capable of ripping of large ground gains when that is open to him. But he has become pretty good about sliding and not taking a hit. Herbert btw is an inch taller than Allen, but his rookie weight weight was the same as Allen. Supposedly, Herbert, according to him, has put on some muscle weight this off-season and is up to 240 lbs. Herbert is noticeably leaner than Allen, and I think it's because Herbert has more muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'm not saying Allen is fat by any stretch, but I'll bet you Herbert's BMI is superior to Allen's.
                          I'll take superior smarts and talent compared to BMI. I dont believe Rivers had a very good BMI but that dude was smart as heck, until later in his career when he started to do too much. And he was tough as nails. I'm liking how Herbert is playing the game and it'll only get better.

Comment

Working...
                          X