• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Berserker76
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

From what I've heard, Paton is supposed to be a great GM. Fangio's not the problem, why would Paton let him go? Denver needs a QB, not a new coach, and once they get him the AFC West will get even more interesting. Just my two cents.

Comment

• RobH
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Tokyo, Japan
      • University English Lecturer
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

In fact, a 2016 study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) showed that lifestyle factors can overrule heredity. The study found that making even a relatively modest effort to live healthfully can cut your risk of heart disease by up to 50 percent.
      What you say is true, but DNA still plays a large role. I’ve worked out virtually my whole life, and while not a fanatic, I was careful about my diet.

However, I had a heart attack at the age of 53, (11years ago) and came this close to losing the race. I had three descending arteries clogged. 100%, 90%, and 80%. It took 5 stents and three operations and two weeks in the hospital, one week in the ICU.

When they wheeled me into the operating room, the doctor said I had three clogged arteries and that in the States, they would just do a triple bypass. But in Japan, they prefer to use stents if at all possible. They said that they had a bypass surgeon on standby, just in case. That sobered me up in a hurry.

Anyway, I came out of it pretty well. After a couple of weeks of rehab, I did a stress test on an exercise bike and I scored in the top 10% for someone my age, and average for a 35-year old. The doctor says the only reason why I didn’t die was because of all the exercise I did.

My heart tends to beat out of rhythm occasionally, but that’s to be expected for people who have heart attacks. It’s not fun though and it really affects my energy when it happens.

I eat a very healthy Japanese diet and I try to watch my alcohol intake. I try to get to the gym, but COVID has put a pretty big wrench in those plans. Hopefully, I can get back in after this next major surge.

PS: The Japanese medical system is nationalized, and I was damn lucky for that. All those surgeries and more than two weeks in the hospital and the meds only cost me about $5,000. I have to take several meds every day and they only cost me about $40.00 per month. Of course, I pay premiums monthly, but they aren’t that high, and I can buy supplemental insurance if I want.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
        From what I've heard, Paton is supposed to be a great GM. Fangio's not the problem, why would Paton let him go? Denver needs a QB, not a new coach, and once they get him the AFC West will get even more interesting. Just my two cents.
        Paton has a lot of AJ Smith in him. The good bits and the bad bits, too. Broncos will have new ownership. I think new ownership will want a brand new, innovative, shiny, YOUNG, head coach. Like the Rams do. And the Cardinals. And the Packers. And the Bengals. And the Chargers. Not a grumpy old guy who says things like "Our plan is to stay frosty" or complain about John Harbaugh. The new guy will be an offense minded one. And Paton inherited Vic, he didn't choose him. Both he and Vance Joseph are defensive guys who have not delivered.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post

However, I had a heart attack at the age of 53, (11years ago) and came this close to losing the race. I had three descending arteries clogged. 100%, 90%, and 80%. It took 5 stents and three operations and two weeks in the hospital, one week in the ICU.
          Damn Rob, glad you made it through that. Same here, doing Cardio every day before my STEMI probably saved me.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
            Paton thought Bridewater was the answer at QB so I'm not sure how great of a GM he is.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I think whoever the Raiders hire (unless they keep Biasacca) will push hard to hire Vic as their DC. In fact, a lot of teams will especially those with head coaching changes. I think the coach the Chargers are most likely to add is Ed Donatell who is very close to Staley, unless Donatell wants to follow Fangio to his next job.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Berserker76
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Paton has a lot of AJ Smith in him. The good bits and the bad bits, too. Broncos will have new ownership. I think new ownership will want a brand new, innovative, shiny, YOUNG, head coach. Like the Rams do. And the Cardinals. And the Packers. And the Bengals. And the Chargers. Not a grumpy old guy who says things like "Our plan is to stay frosty" or complain about John Harbaugh. The new guy will be an offense minded one. And Paton inherited Vic, he didn't choose him. Both he and Vance Joseph are defensive guys who have not delivered.

TG
                Good take. From a Bolts perspective, I'm actually hoping they do move on from Fangio. Wouldn't want to see them twice a year with that defense and a real QB. Just hope he doesn't go to the Raiders.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post

What you say is true, but DNA still plays a large role. I’ve worked out virtually my whole life, and while not a fanatic, I was careful about my diet.

When they wheeled me into the operating room, the doctor said I had three clogged arteries and that in the States, they would just do a triple bypass. But in Japan, they prefer to use stents if at all possible. They said that they had a bypass surgeon on standby, just in case. That sobered me up in a hurry.

Anyway, I came out of it pretty well. After a couple of weeks of rehab, I did a stress test on an exercise bike and I scored in the top 10% for someone my age, and average for a 35-year old. The doctor says the only reason why I didn’t die was because of all the exercise I did.

My heart tends to beat out of rhythm occasionally, but that’s to be expected for people who have heart attacks. It’s not fun though and it really affects my energy when it happens.

I eat a very healthy Japanese diet and I try to watch my alcohol intake. I try to get to the gym, but COVID has put a pretty big wrench in those plans. Hopefully, I can get back in after this next major surge.

PS: The Japanese medical system is nationalized, and I was damn lucky for that. All those surgeries and more than two weeks in the hospital and the meds only cost me about $5,000. I have to take several meds every day and they only cost me about $40.00 per month. Of course, I pay premiums monthly, but they aren’t that high, and I can buy supplemental insurance if I want.
                  Thanks for sharing. I don't quite understand where the descending arteries are. We are apparently the same age - 64. At age 59 I had an 80 percent blockage in my right coronary artery, in my heart. Angioplasty and two stents. This past summer I had a 90 percent blockage in my left coronary artery. Another angioplasty and two more stents. I have been on a 100% plant-based diet since the first episode when I was 59, five years ago.

The blockage this summer was from plaque that had been there for years, not recent build up. I spent most of my career in offices in an extremely high stress environment, sitting at a computer most of the day, not exercising enough and getting heavier and heavier. I retired at age 62 in 2019, a lot earlier than I had intended, but it was the right thing to do. Since retiring I have become fitter and I continue to become more fit through a regimen of cycling. I am fortunate to live next a world-class bike trail in Sacramento.

We both have the genes, the family history, that predispose us to CAD. I knew about my family "curse" from a very young age because it afflicted, and killed, members of my mother's family at a young age. It killed my mother at age 65. I do wish I would have been smarter when I was younger, started paying attention to what my heart needed before I turned 40. Fortunately we live in an age of medical advancement with treatments and medication that can not just extend our lives, but allow us to live good and active lives with stents in our arteries. In an earlier age we would both be dead.

I've had all of the medical treatment for my heart done here in California. My first angioplasty was at the Alex Spanos Heart Center at Mercy Hospital in Sacramento. I rehabbed there too. I'm extremely fortunate to be a CalPERS retiree, with premium health insurance that has covered virtually all of my medical expenses. My out of pocket expenses have been less than $1k for everything, dating back to my first episode 5 years ago. My med co-pays are about the same as yours.

I feel blessed and fortunate for the care I have received. For awhile after this latest incident with the angioplasty and the stents, I was hesitant to exercise with intensity and get my heart rate up. But slowly over the past several months I have upped the intensity and length of my rides, and have never experienced any pain or any other drawback. I can go push myself as a hard as I want with confidence. Angioplasty is truly a modern medical miracle - the things cardiologists do with minimally invasive procedures to save and improve lives is amazing. I am truly thankful for it, and to be living in this age.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    I think whoever the Raiders hire (unless they keep Biasacca) will push hard to hire Vic as their DC. In fact, a lot of teams will especially those with head coaching changes. I think the coach the Chargers are most likely to add is Ed Donatell who is very close to Staley, unless Donatell wants to follow Fangio to his next job.

TG
                    Speaking of which, Harbaugh rumor has begun.

Could Jim Harbaugh return to the NFL? 'I think it's real' - The Athletic

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Paton thought Bridewater was the answer at QB so I'm not sure how great of a GM he is.
                      Benjamin Allbright is a good follow on twitter for Bronco stuff
                      he said the top two QBs on Paton's (and the teams list) were Rodgers and Wilson
                      When those didn't pan out for various reasons, the staff moved on to Bridgewater

As for Fangio - if he is fired, I would hope that Staley calls him - but how you remove Hill and hire Fangio, well thats on Staley
                      Fangio will not be out of a job for long

The Broncos - agree with the post that they probably want an offensive minded HC for their team. But who knows how that will affect the defense moving forward as Fangio's problems as a head coach are other issues.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

All good points, but he looks mean and ornery: hard pass for the Spanos

Let's remember one of the reasons Coach Bobby Ross turned this team around is, he brought with him Bill Arnsparger.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

All good points, but he looks mean and ornery: hard pass for the Spanos

Remember The Dome Patrol?

Rickey Jackson, Vaughn Johnson, Sam Mills, & Pat Swilling? Vic was their position coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X