Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Even that is still unclear.

$9 million per year, 9 million over two years? 4 years?

Why are they offering a one or two year 2nd contract to a draftee.

You must admit, that's a bit unusual.

Charger management spin most likely.
    9 per year is what I saw. Even for 7 I'm a pass.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

9 per year is what I saw. Even for 7 I'm a pass.
      This is what happens when you whip out the checkbook for high profile players on the team. Bosa, Mack, James, JC Jackson...Sure why not ask for the moon?
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Who says they were cheap? Kyzir so impressed Philly after a year they didn’t try to re-sign him. AZ only gave him a 2 year deal, decent but hardly significant APY ($5m/per). Drue took a one-year prove it deal.

Are all 32 teams agreeing with Staley or am I missing something here?
        Obviously they’re not all agreeing with Staley/Chargers who didn’t try to keep these guys if they are still getting jobs and for Kyzir a big increase from his Philly deal.

im not sure whether you think these deals are cheap or not? You start out implying they are not but then denigrate them as insignificant?

these are the type of deals decent players - not stars - get in this era when certain players suck up all the cap. The “middle class” guys. Question for me is are we better off with whomever the replacement is

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Who says they were cheap? Kyzir so impressed Philly after a year they didn’t try to re-sign him. AZ only gave him a 2 year deal, decent but hardly significant APY ($5m/per). Drue took a one-year prove it deal.

Are all 32 teams agreeing with Staley or am I missing something here?
          Our non biased KC fan fanatic called such contracts cheap.

By your logic, the Eagles also weren't impressed with Jason Hargrave and Miles Sanders.
          To me, the salient fact is that ex Charger defenders appear to be more valuable after playing one year under another D coordinator.

Look for Tranquil to get a bigger contract after next season and Kendricks to never quite grasp the Charger defense and where he should be.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

By your logic, the Eagles also weren't impressed with Jason Hargrave and Miles Sanders.
            To me, the salient fact is that ex Charger defenders appear to be more valuable after playing one year under another D coordinator.

Look for Tranquil to get a bigger contract after next season and Kendricks to never quite grasp the Charger defense and where he should be.
            Drue won't start in KC so I doubt it unless they have an injury but allegedly he is LB #4

Drue was adequate but he wasnt great and just average against the run. Accending sure but for 7 mil, nope.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Just another sign that Mr. Analytics is in over his head. Can't coach up players to perform better or adapt to his (obviously shitty) system. Another in the long list of cheap-o Span-Ass hires that never pan out. Has anyone of he HC hires ascended to better things elsewhere? McCoy? Lynn? Riley? Even Turner (who should never have been hired by anyone to be HC)? Or does EVERYONE know what Span-Ass doesn't: The guys he hires on the cheap are just not qualified to do the job.

Comment

• captaind
                Cook This Pork Chops
                • Jun 2013
                • Mars
                • Ball Holder
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

You aren't missing anything, but it doesn't fit the narrative that the Charger owners, front office and coaches all suck.
                Reality validates that narrative on its own.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

I mean who cares...He will be in downs where there's a high probability of a run...The downs where it's 3rd and 10, or 3rd and 15, will be a passing package. On top of that it's not like he's a shabby pass defender. Everyone knows he's a two year rental and then on a year to year contract...
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I mean who cares...He will be in downs where there's a high probability of a run...The downs where it's 3rd and 10, or 3rd and 15, will be a passing package. On top of that it's not like he's a shabby pass defender. Everyone knows he's a two year rental and then on a year to year contract...
                    Part of the problem is linebackers not knowing the run fits - no?
                    Dru Tranquil hitting guards with the wrong shoulder and losing containment type things.

I wasn't even thinking of Kendricks getting messed up by Staley's pass coverage concepts.

Poor Kendricks.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Part of the problem is linebackers not knowing the run fits - no?
                      Dru Tranquil hitting guards with the wrong shoulder and losing containment type things.

I wasn't even thinking of Kendricks getting messed up by Staley's pass coverage concepts.

Poor Kendricks.
                      I like to think we have a better DC who will install the concepts. Staley is just calling the plays. And who knows, Ansley was a DC in college and maybe he gets to call them down the road.
                      Hill had no experience doing it.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I like to think we have a better DC who will install the concepts. Staley is just calling the plays. And who knows, Ansley was a DC in college and maybe he gets to call them down the road.
                        Hill had no experience doing it.
                        Our new LB Coach Jeff Howard was a Viking. He's worked with Kendricks. From the interview https://www.chargers.com/video/camer...ee-agency-2023, Kendricks can just "be himself" per Staley. I expect that former Bears LB coach Staley has learned a few things also. We'll see but I expect Kendricks to have a good year in LA.
                        Last edited by sonorajim; 03-20-2023, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

I will look for it. I hope he gets it, he’s a good guy. I just don’t see big bidding wars for big contracts for these guys - I see two guys whose agent made a demand for a larger commitment than the Chargers would consider. They then went out to FA and found out nobody would give them a large commitment. The disdain for the org seems once again overstated imo. I never said they are horrible players. But by their logic, we should not have let Storm Norton go, he was signed by another team too.

All teams let players go, teams can’t keep all players, even at $5m/yr. our rush defense has been in the 30s so clearly our LB was not a great answer to the riddle we have locally. I like the idea of trying Kendrick instead of watching the Murray-Tranq debacle for another year. Something had to change, Drue made that decision for them.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X