First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Keenan will be in the 3rd year of his current 4 year deal in 2022.
    MikeDub’s contract/Cap structure can be offset for Keenan’s Cap hits and/or redo Keenan’s contract after year 3 to fit Dub’s contract structure.
    We can sign any/all (hope not all) our pending FAs, extend Derwin, and be a major player in UFA with our 2022/future salary Cap situation.
    That logic is all sound and more than acceptable and Ed McGuire is certainly no fool and been great with the cap. My concern/fear begins and ends with two $20 million dollar receivers on the roster, viewed through my perspective on the total percentage of the pie.

I've two cases in which the Chargers were insufficiently pleased with the player's performance in their first contract and chose to move on rather than re-sign them: Drew Brees & Vincent Jackson, and I was here for both. This reminds me of both. We can discuss the merits of what we believe to be the correct behavior but in the end, I am of the opinion, Dean will have the final say. Whether Dean takes a conservative stance, or he's progressive and re-signs Mike Will, is the wait-and-see proposition of the off-season.

Leave a comment:

• like54ninjas
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost View Post
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

Keenan is at #5 and Mike Will is #32.

Let's view this from the perspective of asset allocation. Having two $20 million dollar receivers on the roster, that is risky asset allocation, IMO.

Look at the list of rookies from Mike Will at #32 on down and the bang-for-the-buck they are producing on their rookie deals. I think they let Mike Will test the free agent waters and let him walk and address the WR in the 1st Round. I would trade that production for Jameson Williams or John Metchie at WR and feel comfortable at the WR position.

I would reallocate that $10 million per year to the defensive interior, sign free agent Akiem Hicks to a two-year deal for $9.5 per year, and draft DT in the 2nd Round. I am still concerned about RT. Counting on Bryan Bulaga's health is a terrible idea. Trade up into the 2nd Round and select an OT to replace Bulaga?

Jameson Williams became the first Tide player in with four receiving touchdowns of at least 75 yards in a single season for Alabama. Namath nor Ken Stabler had that.
    My point is to give Justin Herbert a true home-run hitter to grow old w/ who has a more friendly contract than Mike Williams can demand on the open market.

Keenan will be in the 3rd year of his current 4 year deal in 2022.
    MikeDub’s contract/Cap structure can be offset for Keenan’s Cap hits and/or redo Keenan’s contract after year 3 to fit Dub’s contract structure.
    We can sign any/all (hope not all) our pending FAs, extend Derwin, and be a major player in UFA with our 2022/future salary Cap situation.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied

Biletnikoff Award finalists announced. Jahan Dotson is not on this list.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied

You can view losing Mike Will as a negative or you can view it as an opportunity to get younger, faster, and cheaper at the position.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

He ran a 4.54 at his Pro Day. https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=27001

But I think he displayed 4.4ish speed on that play Sun night. I just never though of him as possessing much speed. It was good to see him run like that.
    This one says 4.49 and 4.5 on two attempts but whichever, at his size that pretty fast imo,.... and has video of his runs. Looks like he is cruising lol.
    I believe Vince Jackson also ran a 4.5.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/s...tigers-pro-day
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-24-2021, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not sure why some are surprised at his speed. He ran a 4.49.

As for a contract, id welcome him back for sure but i think it depends on Mike and where he wants to be. Is he good with Herbert as his QB and being in LA or does he want something else? Some players make the mistake of thinking elsewhere will be better for them.

He will have many pursuers for sure if we dont resign him. If we dont they better have a backup plan like Adams and then draft another.
    You've framed it well. What does Mike want? To be a $20 million dollar #1 WR in Carolina, his hometown being Holly Hill, South Carolina, might appeal to him.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost View Post
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

Let's view this from the perspective of asset allocation. Having two $20 million dollar receivers on the roster, that is risky asset allocation, IMO.

Look at the list of rookies from Mike Will at #32 on down and the bang-for-the-buck they are producing on their rookie deals. I think they let Mike Will test the free agent waters and let him walk and address the WR in the 1st Round. I would trade that production for Jameson Williams or John Metchie at WR and feel comfortable at the WR position.

I would reallocate that $10 million per year to the defensive interior, sign free agent Akiem Hicks to a two-year deal for $9.5 per year, and draft DT in the 2nd Round. I am still concerned about RT. Counting on Bryan Bulaga's health is a terrible idea. Trade up into the 2nd Round and select an OT to replace Bulaga?

Jameson Williams became the first Tide player in with four receiving touchdowns of at least 75 yards in a single season for Alabama. Namath nor Ken Stabler had that.
    My point is to give Justin Herbert a true home-run hitter to grow old w/ who has a more friendly contract than Mike Williams can demand on the open market.

This all makes sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    A real-time, sortable list of active NFL contracts including total value, guaranteed money, and complete salary breakdowns.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

As for a contract, id welcome him back for sure but i think it depends on Mike and where he wants to be. Is he good with Herbert as his QB and being in LA or does he want something else? Some players make the mistake of thinking elsewhere will be better for them.

He will have many pursuers for sure if we dont resign him. If we dont they better have a backup plan like Adams and then draft another.
    He ran a 4.54 at his Pro Day. https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=27001

But I think he displayed 4.4ish speed on that play Sun night. I just never though of him as possessing much speed. It was good to see him run like that.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    What are your thoughts on Mike Williams now? Am I the only one who was a bit surprised by the speed display he put on after the catch on that 53-yd game winner Sun night. He obliterated the angle of pursuit of the Pitt DB who tried to catch him. Mike is not particularly shifty like Keenan, but he is faster than I thought. As for signing him to a new contract, I think it's going to be a wait and see situation, evaluate him and what he brings to the offense at the end of the season. Though he could become very expensive if he balls out the rest of the season and into the playoffs. But he's been hot and cold and hot again this year, so it's hard to really evaluate him at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    What are your thoughts on Mike Williams now? Am I the only one who was a bit surprised by the speed display he put on after the catch on that 53-yd game winner Sun night. He obliterated the angle of pursuit of the Pitt DB who tried to catch him. Mike is not particularly shifty like Keenan, but he is faster than I thought. As for signing him to a new contract, I think it's going to be a wait and see situation, evaluate him and what he brings to the offense at the end of the season. Though he could become very expensive if he balls out the rest of the season and into the playoffs. But he's been hot and cold and hot again this year, so it's hard to really evaluate him at this point.

Leave a comment:

• equivocation
    replied

I'd like to see Allen do what Gates did, and play his entire career for the Chargers. He is 29 this year, but Allen is not the type of player who relies on youthful attributes - mainly speed - to be successful. He plays a cerebral game, and that kind of WR generally have longer careers.
    He'll be almost 35 before Slater's rookie deal ends.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X