POLL: Is it Time to Fire Vizzy? - K Dustin Hopkins Signed!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UglyTruth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

So you’re saying he is very raw with limited experience as a kicker?
    If so, doesn’t that prescribe more coaching, more in-game opportunities, more practice, and simply just more experience?
    I’m definitely not a kicking scout/coach but our staff believes he has the talent and that he just needs time/coaching/experience to be our PK of our future.

For all those complaining about his kickoffs, the short KOs are called plays to try to limit the opponent’s starting position. Track the hangtime TV puts on these kickoffs. TV’s leg would allow him to put the ball into the stands if that was the called play.

Fucking relax people. If we had given up on every raw first year player after 6 games how many good players would we’ve missed?
    The short KOs hurt the team more than just kicking it into the end zone for touchbacks. I’d rather the other team start at their own 25 every time instead of risking them start in Chargers territory or worse give up a TD.

Btw has Staley or the STs mentioned that they were kicking it short on purpose? Or is that just a theory?
    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
      The short KOs hurt the team more than just kicking it into the end zone for touchbacks. I’d rather the other team start at their own 25 every time instead of risking them start in Chargers territory or worse give up a TD.

Btw has Staley or the STs mentioned that they were kicking it short on purpose? Or is that just a theory?
      Swindon talked about it at camp during a couple of his pressers.
      Being able to pin an offense inside the 20 results in about 15% fewer scoring drives than an offense starting at the 25.
      Last edited by like54ninjas; 10-20-2021, 02:15 PM.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Swinton has indeed said that they kick it very high and just outside the goal line on purpose. Vizcaino can kick it out of the end zone every time if told to. That at least he can do. I agree I wish they would just let him do that. But he is doing what Swinton is telling him
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Swinton has indeed said that they kick it very high and just outside the goal line on purpose. Vizcaino can kick it out of the end zone every time if told to. That at least he can do. I agree I wish they would just let him do that. But he is doing what Swinton is telling him
          I don't like it...too much of a risk of a big return...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jorgecasas10 View Post
            Josh lambo is available
            Actually, Lambo is injured...Jags plan to bring him back... I'm guessing he's on protected PS while the other kicker fills in...
            Last edited by Topcat; 10-20-2021, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I don't like it...too much of a risk of a big return...
              While I get the strategy, I do not think we execute it very well.

I am with you on that point. If we had better kickoff coverage, I could see doing the high, shorter kickoffs. It does not seem like we are stopping opponents well short of the 25 very often at all. And if all we are doing is picking up or losing a couple of yards either way each time, then the strategy is not worth the risk of a big return.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I concur. And also higher risk of injury for really no purpose.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

why not bring him in? Vizcaino has never performed at this level

Put Vizzy on the PS for the long term
                  agree..... but why did they cut him?

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Here’s the WFT beat writer on recently released Dustin Hopkins:
                    Washington now has a kicker who has not attempted a field goal in a game since 2016 and who was only a 69.6 percent kicker in college

What's the thought process here?

Ben Standig, Washington beat writer: Releasing a career 84 percent kicker six games into his seventh season with the team might seem surprising, but Hopkins was a shaky option this season.

He made the game-winning FG in Week 2 but only after an offsides penalty gave him a second chance after missing the first try. Hopkins also missed two extra points in a Week 4 comeback road win at Atlanta, and a 42-yarder against the Chiefs in the second half Sunday as Washington nursed a 3-point lead against Kansas City. He's also not a viable option beyond 49 yards during an era where kickers regularly boot long kicks.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      I concur. And also higher risk of injury for really no purpose.

TG
                      Yeah just kick it into the end zone at this point until we get more ST depth.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Jobs are on the line. When he’s fucked up enough, he’ll be gone.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Jobs are on the line. When he’s fucked up enough, he’ll be gone.
                          What quantifies as “enough”? Isn’t leading the league in most missed extra pts enough? Setting record for it as well through 5 weeks.
                          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Working...
                          X