POLL: Is it Time to Fire Vizzy? - K Dustin Hopkins Signed!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I guess we are keeping Vizcaino? Any of you have a shred of confidence in him to kick the game winner? Any of you think he has the confidence in himself to?
    Taking your last question first, I think Vizcaino's biggest problem is a lack of confidence. His body language has looked bad at times when he was about to kick--like he is a little bit nervous.

I trust Vizcaino like I trust a shaky closing pitcher on my fantasy baseball team. I know that statistically he is more likely than not to make his kicks, but I also know that that next bad outing could come at any moment, so I always feel uneasy with him on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

They didn't trade a draft choice for the return of Addae, and Addae had had a successful six-year run with the Chargers, and was released only because they drafted a young stud at safety high in the draft (Adderley). Addae wasn't a failure for the Chargers who they released and then went on to star for another team. They brought back an old friend when the safety position was decimated by injuries.
      Addae exceeded his value as an UDFA not expected to make the roster, but one could argue that that actually hurt our team because we settled for him and his consistently mediocre performance instead of drafting a good FS and allowing Addae to become cheap quality depth.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Taking your last question first, I think Vizcaino's biggest problem is a lack of confidence. His body language has looked bad at times when he was about to kick--like he is a little bit nervous.

I trust Vizcaino like I trust a shaky closing pitcher on my fantasy baseball team. I know that statistically he is more likely than not to make his kicks, but I also know that that next bad outing could come at any moment, so I always feel uneasy with him on the field.
        That's what Lynn said about Koo explaining why he decided to release him. Maybe it is better to ride it out with Vizcaino. He's got the leg, that's for sure.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I know I have told this story a million times But I am old and a dad. But I will skip a lot of the non essential bits to spare those who have heard this already. I met the chargers scout who found Koo and was instrumental in him being signed. He told me that Koo was ruined mentally after the Denver game. Just no coming back from it. So he had to go. Scout was bummed. Put his own neck on the line for Koo. Still thought he would be great. But understood wasn’t going to be for our team. Also told me lambo was HAtED in locker room. Just a Wierd guy and the raider game laughing with janakowski after a loss sealed it.

Kickers are a crap shoot. When you get a good one you keep him. And failure on one team means nothing

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            That's what Lynn said about Koo explaining why he decided to release him. Maybe it is better to ride it out with Vizcaino. He's got the leg, that's for sure.
            We should hire the guy that helped Koo. Maybe he can do wonders with Viz.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              I know I have told this story a million times But I am old and a dad. But I will skip a lot of the non essential bits to spare those who have heard this already. I met the chargers scout who found Koo and was instrumental in him being signed. He told me that Koo was ruined mentally after the Denver game. Just no coming back from it. So he had to go. Scout was bummed. Put his own neck on the line for Koo. Still thought he would be great. But understood wasn’t going to be for our team. Also told me lambo was HAtED in locker room. Just a Wierd guy and the raider game laughing with janakowski after a loss sealed it.

Kickers are a crap shoot. When you get a good one you keep him. And failure on one team means nothing

TG
              It's surprising more kickers aren't drafted. In the draft process, they are almost treated as an afterthought. Yet kickers impact the game in ways no other player can, it's a very important position.

Comment

• lightsout42
                Hire a winning coach
                • Oct 2019
                • Send PM

It's surprising more kickers aren't drafted. In the draft process, they are almost treated as an afterthought. Yet kickers impact the game in ways no other player can, it's a very important position.
                “The top 25 scorers in National Football Leaguehistory are all placekickers.” A good kicker puts points on the board, period.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Maybe because alot of kickers just dont translate well to the NFL so its a crap shoot.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    I guess we are keeping Vizcaino? Any of you have a shred of confidence in him to kick the game winner? Any of you think he has the confidence in himself to?
                    Saints picked up a rookie kicker last week and he already looks more poised and clutch today than Vizcaino has ever looked.

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Well, we aren't in the building or on the sidelines with him, so I guess we don't know. And I really trust Staley so far. But he sure looked defeated and deflated to me last game. I really liked Swinton in the offseason. Liked his energy and direction. Still waiting to see good results on the field. Yes, I am happy we can perform basic special team functions (big step up from the last 3-4 years) other than PATs, but would be nice to have special teams actually be a weapon and contribute to wins. And Staley's philosophy is very ST friendly. Going for it on 4th down really limits punts and FG attempts.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

I wonder how much of keeping Vizcaino is a Staley decision and how much of it is a Telesco decision and Staley goes along with it because he’s a team player.

Telesco may hesitate at admitting that he’s failed at finding a solution at the kicker position for 8 consecutive years now.

It’s not talked about as much because his ineptitude at putting together a half decent OL and DL over the same years has triumphed it.
                        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Kicker tryouts this week:

Comment

Working...
                          X