• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
    So now the city wants to cooperate at the 11th hour because they are pressured to....
    Faulconer stated in his mayoral campaign that getting a new stadium was a priority. The city reached out to the Chargers and the Chargers said there was no hurry...
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
      I have several issues with your claims. I think your premise that the Charger fans are outnumbered by visitor's fans is resoundingly false. The tv cameras pan to the seats behind the visitors bench, where the sun is just brutal, so there is naturally more available seats in that area. Since the visitors are concentrated there, because it's where most available seats are, it's easy to give the illusion that Bolts fans are outnumbered.

Southern California has a much higher transient population, because it's a great place to move to. Do you think places like Pittsburgh draw the same amount of transplants? Often, the people that do relocate here maintain their allegiances to their hometown teams when they move. Then you have military members here making up a decent slice of the population. Some of them do become Bolts fans, but many opt to maintain their allegiance to their hometown teams.

Then there is the fan who takes the opportunity to travel to see their team play, and it's undeniable that SD is a great destination, so circle that mid November game to take the family on a trip out west.

If all of the games you see are on tv, then maybe you're part of the problem.
      Thanks for the info. Still curious if SD ticket-paying fans are more/less than fans in other cities (you outlined some reasons why they might be less...), and if you or anyone thinks this might be in the mix (like is it the elephant in the discussion, that SD just doesn't have enough fans to keep the team here?).

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

It not the number of Charger fans in the city, it the number Chargers fans with the money, time, and commitment to showing up every game. Vs the number of fans of a given team who find it much easier to overspend for one game a season and out of town fans who really want to splerg on airfair hotel rental car and food to visit San Diego and see their team in our stadium.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

While increased ticket prices could be a deterrent for some, I think in general more people would be interested in checking out a game in a nice new facility over the current decaying dump.

Also, think of food and beverages quality and choices in Petco and compare it to Qualcomm. And I don't even want to think about the restrooms.

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Thanks for the info. Still curious if SD ticket-paying fans are more/less than fans in other cities (you outlined some reasons why they might be less...), and if you or anyone thinks this might be in the mix (like is it the elephant in the discussion, that SD just doesn't have enough fans to keep the team here?).
            Hence, the root of this thread. The general populace would rather keep Comic-con than the Chargers.

Side note: SD if wanna keep Comic-con your still gonna have to fork over some big dough for a bigger facility or that's gonna move to LA too.
            sigpic

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
              Faulconer stated in his mayoral campaign that getting a new stadium was a priority. The city reached out to the Chargers and the Chargers said there was no hurry...
              Was that before or after Kroenke announced his intentions with respect to LA? If it was before, well things change as their back up plan was put in jeopardy. Maybe they should have worked on the stadium plans as a "priority" rather than putting together an Olympic bid.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                While increased ticket prices could be a deterrent for some, I think in general more people would be interested in checking out a game in a nice new facility over the current decaying dump.

Also, think of food and beverages quality and choices in Petco and compare it to Qualcomm. And I don't even want to think about the restrooms.

With respect to the restrooms....a buddy of mine is a long time season ticket holder....he said he would rather piss in a bag or even his shoe than step foot in the restrooms at the Q.....hahahaha

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                  Was that before or after Kroenke announced his intentions with respect to LA? If it was before, well things change as their back up plan was put in jeopardy. Maybe they should have worked on the stadium plans as a "priority" rather than putting together an Olympic bid.
                  I think you are under the impression that what happens in the city of Los Angeles really matters to a team says it wants to stay in San Diego. If the Chargers told the city that there is no hurry to get a deal done, then there's no hurry, right?

If the Chargers want to stay "at the right price", and the city can't/won't deliver at that price, then great. Time to be men and say so.
                  If the Chargers want to bail to LA for greener pastures, then they should be men and say so. That's all. Not a problem.
                  Prediction:
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .

Comment

• KNSD
                    Registered Charger Hater
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                    Hence, the root of this thread. The general populace would rather keep Comic-con than the Chargers.

Side note: SD if wanna keep Comic-con your still gonna have to fork over some big dough for a bigger facility or that's gonna move to LA too.
                    Exactly. That's why the city has stated that it will get a stadium done in a fiscally responsible manner rather than giving the moon to the team. People in this town are not willing to subsidize billionaires to pay millionaire salaries. Instead of hiding behind EIR reports, the team should just man up and say that the deal is not sweet enough for them and then be on their way.
                    Prediction:

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                      Exactly. That's why the city has stated that it will get a stadium done in a fiscally responsible manner rather than giving the moon to the team. People in this town are not willing to subsidize billionaires to pay millionaire salaries. Instead of hiding behind EIR reports, the team should just man up and say that the deal is not sweet enough for them and then be on their way.
                      And this is what makes what the Chargers are doing despicable. They don't quite want to let go of San Diego yet "just in case".

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                        I have several issues with your claims. I think your premise that the Charger fans are outnumbered by visitor's fans is resoundingly false. The tv cameras pan to the seats behind the visitors bench, where the sun is just brutal, so there is naturally more available seats in that area. Since the visitors are concentrated there, because it's where most available seats are, it's easy to give the illusion that Bolts fans are outnumbered.

Southern California has a much higher transient population, because it's a great place to move to. Do you think places like Pittsburgh draw the same amount of transplants? Often, the people that do relocate here maintain their allegiances to their hometown teams when they move. Then you have military members here making up a decent slice of the population. Some of them do become Bolts fans, but many opt to maintain their allegiance to their hometown teams.

Then there is the fan who takes the opportunity to travel to see their team play, and it's undeniable that SD is a great destination, so circle that mid November game to take the family on a trip out west.

If all of the games you see are on tv, then maybe you're part of the problem.
                        Wheels, I defer to you, as I don't have the privilege of going to games live (I live in Ohio). But I do watch a lot of other teams' games on TV and I have never heard such loud cheering for the opposing team as I do during Charger games. Again, it is just TV, but it is noticeable. When I attend Browns or Steelers games, they are sold out (and the Browns are a pathetic team who sell out until very late in the year when weather and poor records combine) and you will not see or hear very many fans of the opposition. I still think that no matter what stadium gets built, Charger games are going to continue to attract the other teams' fans. Probably has a lot to do with what a great city San Diego is and how nice the weather is. I think this attracts other teams' fans and also provides residents a lot of options for things to do other than watching football.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MakoShark
                          Disgruntled
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Alabama
                          • Send PM

I don't think anyone is hiding behind EIR's. Getting caught up in litigation is a costly and legitimate issue, and I do believe it is likely to happen if the City tries to fast track an EIR. That's the California way. And, even though I believe the Chargers are inflating their numbers, what happens in the LA market does affect them. So its just good business to keep an eye on that situation. Not to mention that its good business to have a 'Plan B' and LA has always been that to the Chargers. Their hand got forced by Kroenke. Did the Spani make their 'no hurry' comments before or after Kroenke became a legitimate threat to move into the LA market? It matters. Outside forces are at play and the Spani have to react. SD has waited to long and I don't think the City can react quick enough.

The only thing I will agree with you guys on is that the Spani should dump the mouth-piece and just come out and say what they want to see happen. But, at this point I don't think most of you would believe them anyway.
                          Last edited by MakoShark; 07-08-2015, 09:00 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X