Patriots at Chargers Pregame Discussion (wk 8)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post
    Whew lotta fear in here this week I can’t do it.

Justin and Brandon the Dragonslayers let’s go!

:anchorjump:
    Lets Go Brandon!
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Can we get a % on odds of a trade actually happening before the deadline? — @chargertkc

I think there is a 21 percent chance the Chargers will trade for a player before the deadline. It is a low number, I know. But,
      as I wrote earlier this week, Tom Telesco has never acquired a player via trade in season in his previous eight years as general manager. And that is not an accident. It goes against his philosophy of valuing draft picks and building through the draft. The Chargers have needs, particularly on the defensive line. Trading for a player, though, does not necessarily mean that need will be filled. Players become available for a reason — usually declining performance or injury. It is rare that a true difference-maker is available during the season. Because of this, I think there is a very good chance that Telesco stands pat at the deadline.

Once again, they have 3 players who were here before 2018 on the team.
      Hard not to be an upgrade over anyone not named Joseph/Jones. They are incredibly thin there.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

DJak is asking for a trade from Rams.

Should Chargers pounce. Offer a conditional 7th.

He can still fly. Would likely be a better deep threat than Guyton. And can be back there on kickoff with Roberts as a threat. And if Roberts has to miss a game. Then DJak returns punts. Better depth/threat to make big plays.

If it doesn't work out. What was lost. I bet they could waive Guyton and nobody would pick him up and they could put him on the practice squad and release Hill.
        DJax asked for a trade because he’s not getting enough touches with the Rams. He’s not getting it here unless KA or MW are injured.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
          Can we get a % on odds of a trade actually happening before the deadline? — @chargertkc

I think there is a 21 percent chance the Chargers will trade for a player before the deadline. It is a low number, I know. But,
          as I wrote earlier this week, Tom Telesco has never acquired a player via trade in season in his previous eight years as general manager. And that is not an accident. It goes against his philosophy of valuing draft picks and building through the draft. The Chargers have needs, particularly on the defensive line. Trading for a player, though, does not necessarily mean that need will be filled. Players become available for a reason — usually declining performance or injury. It is rare that a true difference-maker is available during the season. Because of this, I think there is a very good chance that Telesco stands pat at the deadline.

Once again, they have 3 players who were here before 2018 on the team.
          Hard not to be an upgrade over anyone not named Joseph/Jones. They are incredibly thin there.
          But his point is key though. You don’t trade just for the sake of trading. It needs to be the right player fit as well as the right price. For example, if you trade a 5th for someone like Hicks, it sounds great on paper but he’s also available because he’s older and injury prone.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            But his point is key though. You don’t trade just for the sake of trading. It needs to be the right player fit as well as the right price. For example, if you trade a 5th for someone like Hicks, it sounds great on paper but he’s also available because he’s older and injury prone.
            A 5th round draft pick sounds great on paper. In reality, a 5th rounder has about a 10% chance of being a decent starter.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

A 5th round draft pick sounds great on paper. In reality, a 5th rounder has about a 10% chance of being a decent starter.
              5th rounders are also cheaper and can contribute to ST.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

5th rounders are also cheaper and can contribute to ST.
                So can undrafted free agents.

Point would be to use them to consolidate and have more premium picks 3rd/4th those you can use to build your roster inside out.

Telesco believes more picks increases your odds. Does anyone know if he had any offers to trade out, any pick? Did he call and try to trade up or back? Not that I’m aware of, he trusted his board, his scouting to make the pick as it fell to them.

I think he can adapt to having better roster in 2022, still trust his board and scouting but be more aggressive for premium talent, less late rd. projects which would include moving all those comp picks.
                Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 10-29-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

So can undrafted free agents.

Point would be to use them to consolidate and have more premium picks 3rd/4th those you can use to build your roster inside out.

Telesco believes more picks increases your odds. Does anyone know if he had any offers to trade out, any pick? Did he call and try to trade up or back? Not that I’m aware of, he trusted his board, his scouting to make the pick as it fell to them.

I think he can adapt to having better roster in 2022, still trust his board and scouting but be more aggressive for premium talent, less late rd. projects which would include moving all those comp picks.
                  We tried to build our ST using only undrafted FA over the years and it bit us badly. It’s why there was a concentrated effort this year to get guys who can also play ST on the third day of the draft.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

According to this site, we have 4 Charger 5th round picks on our roster

- Easton Stick
                    - Joe Reed
                    - Brendan Jaimes
                    - Qberry

Zero starters. which of those guys would we not want to trade for a player that could contribute to 2021 LAC? Note we do have a couple 5th rounder starters, its just TT didn’t pick them. In my view, 5th picks have twice the odds as a UDFA. They may linger in the bottom of the roster a bit longer because they were drafted, but there’s no impact from any of those 4. Sign two UDFAs and you’ve got almost the same odds as your one 5th rd pk.

Still hoping Jaimes could turn into a starting RG but will he really be better than the average mid-pack RG FA we can pick up if there’s a hole? Aboushi signed a $1.25M contract, thats always affordable.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I agree that 5th rounders have some value. But getting a starter/rotation player for a 5th rounder just seems like a better deal, even if it’s a short term player. Plus, there’s always the potential for a comp pick if he’s not resigned.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

We tried to build our ST using only undrafted FA over the years and it bit us badly. It’s why there was a concentrated effort this year to get guys who can also play ST on the third day of the draft.
                        In your opinion, has it helped?

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The point is that you contend Brady is unique in that he alone (& maybe one other mortal) could have lead that Tampa Bay team to the Super Bowl title.
                          You just happen to be wrong, and then attempted to muddy the waters with some inappropriate analogy.

Now, we can move on.
                          What?
                          Like anybody can just be Jordan or Kobe or Montana or Brady.
                          Yes these players are unique and accomplish things that if you replaced them with so called decent player in that roster spot then the results would Not be the same. The moment you replace that all time great player, you have a different team. And the team would be very different if you replaced them with just any avg player.
                          Yes you have to replace a star with a star.
                          You need to replace Brady with a Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers to even have a chance to do something similar and even then you can't duplicate the other players style and decisions and gameplay. So who knows what the end result is.

You contend that QBs are like mechanical cogs in a system and that you can switch them out like your installing a new battery and you get the same performance from the machine.

I think your opinion on this is very flawed (wrong).
                          And then you discredit a quality analogy you clearly don't understand.
                          I think my opinion is the better one.
                          You think yours is.
                          Keep it moving.
                          :hello:

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X