Chargers @ Raiders Game Day Thread / Post Game Discussion (Wk 18)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

If you read what Popper says he contradicts himself. The Raiders lined up in a shotgun formation - a passing formation. So why did Staley need to get a run stuffer in? Popper also can't seem to add.

It was 3rd down w 33 sec on the clock. They run the 3rd down play and the clock starts again and doesn't stop unless a pass is incomplete or the player gets out of bounds. If not, they could have run the rest of the clock out on 4th down (another 40 sec to run a play )
    The play before the timeout, they ran from a shotgun formation. The point was, there was 4 seconds left on the play clock and the Raiders were about to snap the ball when they called timeout. The Raiders could have taken a knee if they wanted. They didn't line up to do it before the timeout and didn't after. The timeout literally made no difference in the outcome.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

They really needed to stuff Jacobs on 2nd down. After Jones dropped him for. 1 yard loss on 1st down they picked up 7 on second down. If that had been 3rd and 9 instead of 3rd and 4 it could have been different . But they gave up 17 yards on the Raiders last 2 run plays. Run defense killed the season
      Yes, this is why they lost. The Raiders may have indeed decided to take a knee if our run D didn't give up so much yardage there.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Those 2 run plays at the end and 3rd and 23 were the story of the Chargers defense this season. Nowhere on gotta have it plays

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

This is amusing from Popper

" I believe in the math and am confident it leads to a competitive advantage over the course of a season. If you think the math is a load of horse-you-know-what, fine. I do not feel like this is the time or place for me to try to convince you otherwise."

Personally, i'd love for him, or anyone, to explain the math to me. To go into great detail how the percentages work to their advantage.

Most importantly, i'd like for him, or anyone, to go into great detail how exactly the percentages for that play are derived. What sets of data are you using?
          What is your margin for error?

Is it the percentage for
          A. gaining two yards in the NFL?
          B. gaining two yards on 4rth down?
          C. gaining two yards on 4rth down with the playoffs on the line,
          D. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D?
          E. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Chargers?
          F. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field?
          G. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call?
          H. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call, at that particular moment?
          I. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call, at that particular moment, from your 18 yard line.
          J. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call, at that particular moment, with the defensive coordinator being your defensive coordinator the year before?

There are no stats for D, E, F. G, H, I & most importantly J.

Yeah, i think its horse crap.

I believe!!! Its almost like a religious experience.

Show me the math!!! as Tom Cruise said.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The play before the timeout, they ran from a shotgun formation. The point was, there was 4 seconds left on the play clock and the Raiders were about to snap the ball when they called timeout. The Raiders could have taken a knee if they wanted. They didn't line up to do it before the timeout and didn't after. The timeout literally made no difference in the outcome.
            IYO perhaps . That was completely up for debate. It wasn't like they were trying hard for a 1st down running the ball 3x. They ran all the time they could off the clock then ran the play. That is playing to run out the clock as much as to get closer to kick a field goal. If they wanted the field goal they would have used their time outs and tried to get closer

Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth were puzzling over it live even. You can go back again and watch Ekeler hearing his Raider pal saying they would have taken a knee.

They had nothing to lose running the 3rd down play either. If they got closer it improved a field goal try. If not they could just take the knee
            Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 01-11-2022, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Yes, this is why they lost. The Raiders may have indeed decided to take a knee if our run D didn't give up so much yardage there.
              If the Raiders were outside the 40 they might not have tried that kick or taken a knee on 3rd down. Big difference between. 47 yarder and a 60 yarder

Comment

• TTThunder
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Was it reckless?
                1. I believe the math, but have the stats consider all other things??

It was inside our 20 with only 3 points behind and a lot of time left (plus we have a gunslinger at QB)... If this was in 4Q and a few minutes left, then going for it is NOT reckless...

2. I'd say this "go for it" stunned everyone as much as the timeout in OT...

I may be wrong with the timeout, but I really felt they were playing for a tie (in a cooler way than just kneeling down...)

3. Every one makes a mistake. But the most important thing is that one must accept and learn from it.

Will our HC do?

4. Someone mentioned that our HC was a former LB coach that was loved by the players...

Let's see how he 'resurrects' #9 next year... (I do believe good coach must be able to coach up and not give up on any players... Being selected in a first round meant that #9 has talents to work with...)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  This is amusing from Popper

" I believe in the math and am confident it leads to a competitive advantage over the course of a season. If you think the math is a load of horse-you-know-what, fine. I do not feel like this is the time or place for me to try to convince you otherwise."

Personally, i'd love for him, or anyone, to explain the math to me. To go into great detail how the percentages work to their advantage.

Most importantly, i'd like for him, or anyone, to go into great detail how exactly the percentages for that play are derived. What sets of data are you using?
                  What is your margin for error?

Is it the percentage for
                  A. gaining two yards in the NFL?
                  B. gaining two yards on 4rth down?
                  C. gaining two yards on 4rth down with the playoffs on the line,
                  D. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D?
                  E. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Chargers?
                  F. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field?
                  G. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call?
                  H. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call, at that particular moment?
                  I. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call, at that particular moment, from your 18 yard line.
                  J. gaining two yards on 4rth down, with the playoffs on the line, against that Raider D, when you are the Los Angeles Charger with that personnel on the field, with that play call, at that particular moment, with the defensive coordinator being your defensive coordinator the year before?

There are no stats for D, E, F. G, H, I & most importantly J.

Yeah, i think its horse crap.

I believe!!! Its almost like a religious experience.
                  Yep and add on the road before a juiced crowd with a couple of ex Chargers with a chip on their shoulder ready to stuff the run. Or add when you’re a sub par running team and call that play. Again, this isn’t a math problem and slavish devotion to analytics is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

A few are called in by Michael Schofields mom,
                    but mostly using this method:
                    Actually, i just focused on Schofield's play against the Raiders. I liked what i saw....i've been pissing on him all the time.
                    His mom was correct.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Fuck all this bullshit about the last Raiders possession in OT. If we score a touchdown after their first field goal we win (thank you D). Where was this top 5 O I keep reading about? After we failed to score a TD, it was over, they have the best field goal kicker in the league and are going to the playoffs even if they tie. We needed our vaunted O to put a dagger in their heart and they failed. Upgrade some spots on O. Keep upgrading the D, yes. But our O lost this game.

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Meh. Staley learning from his mistakes may happen. Only…don’t ever let me see you challenge a teams determination from you to them with a standard student body left behind Slater on 4th down at your own 18 yard line. OK? The situation deserved better. Staley put it on Lombardi. Not totally Lombardi’s fault.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

I just happened to miss the start of the 2nd half and turned it back on right at that moment of that 4rth down play.

It was a Captain Kirk moment....when Kirk, from the bridge of Commodore Decker's abandoned dead ship,
                          saw Commodore Decker, as acting captain of the Enterprise, attack the Doomsday machine.

I had the exact same reaction as Kirk.

Comment

Working...
                          X