Still blows my mind

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 10.27.25 AM.png

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
      might have been even worse, if Chargers offense did not have so many long clock killing drives......

Also, the fact that we were so easy to run on, teams did not have as much need to throw on our bad coverage people as they could have...... which also lowers the total score......

so that really means that giving up 27 points per game is downright awful!!

we were also worst on 3rd down.....

and nearly worst at rush defense.....

worst in 4th qtr......

Defense needs major overhaul

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

All I know is Staleys D with the Lambs was the best in all of football last year and the Lambs D is ranked 17th this year without him.It aint our coach.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
          All I know is Staleys D with the Lambs was the best in all of football last year and the Lambs D is ranked 17th this year without him.It aint our coach.
          Well, at the very least, Staley didn't exactly distinguish himself as one of the foremost defensive minds in football this year.

I doubt the Rams made many changes on D; they are probably running very similar defensive concepts as last year.
          The league might have figured how to attack it. Co-incidently, the Chargers regressed a bit on D - with Derwin James healthy.

If Staley stayed with the Rams, they would have probably regressed to the mean.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

49ers chose Mitchell in 6th round....... Chargers could have taken him instead of round tree..... 49ers know RB's better than TT......

Watching 49ers vs cowgirls, when Bosa stunts into middle, another 49er DL switches to contain on outside so a mobile QB cannot escape...... novel idea....

Whenever the Chargers bosa stunts up middle or takes inside route, NO ONE on chargers defense covers the outside so the QB usually escapes that way for huge gain as a run or as a deep pass play.....

Is that on stupid/bad players or bad coaching?..... it has to be the players....since that happens all the time....

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

They lost some key starters. Brockers. Hill. Johnson. Wonder how our D looks with those 3? Im guessing a little better. But yeah im surprised Staley wasnt able to get more with less if we are just gonna blame the players.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

They lost some key starters. Brockers. Hill. Johnson. Wonder how our D looks with those 3? Im guessing a little better. But yeah im surprised Staley wasnt able to get more with less if we are just gonna blame the players.
                LAC too many UDFAs up front in my view.

I like JJones and Gaziano...that's about it.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Still believe the D rankings are skewed, we got better in some games towards the end of the season, even in OT we held the Raiders to 3 points at first. We got a lot healthier later, was part of it IMO. Need to upgrade at just about every D spot, yes. Give Staley (or any D coordinator) better players, the D miraculously improves.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

When I look at our Defense I see Bosa and Derwin and then a bunch of guys.Our GM has Got to hit on later rounds or this is what we will always have.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

When I look at our Defense I see Bosa and Derwin and then a bunch of guys.Our GM has Got to hit on later rounds or this is what we will always have.
                      TT like every GM has a war room full of coaches and assistants, my understanding is picks are consensus within that group. I blame coaching staffs - actual football people - giving bad advice over a GM, who is hired to captain the damn ship. Glad that those coaching staffs are history, so far TT’s first draft with Staley is looking pretty good.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

LAC too many UDFAs up front in my view.

I like JJones and Gaziano...that's about it.
                        Really need to get after the front 7. Upgrade Murray if he cant handle it. I like Jones also but i bet we sign a guy and draft one. And edge. Another year of trash D its all on Staley imo. Im tired of blaming the players only. Guys need to develop. I like where we are drafting. Imagine if another Safety fell? LIke Hamilton? Despite our massive needs on the DL? Id pull the trigger on that kid. You can move Dewin around.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Really need to get after the front 7. Upgrade Murray if he cant handle it. I like Jones also but i bet we sign a guy and draft one. And edge. Another year of trash D its all on Staley imo. Im tired of blaming the players only. Guys need to develop.
                          I see no choice but to give Staley some slack.

There is complete agreement here about emphasizing the Front Seven. CLE, CIN and BUF are gonna yield several targets. The Draft points to two midrounders in my view, due to value and available talent.
                          Last edited by wu-dai clan; 01-17-2022, 03:09 AM.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X