• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Conversly, if we had only ripped off one 75 yard run in each of our games we would be leading the league in rushing.

The point is, you can't just discount those long runs, they happened. We must stop those long runs. We have a HC that's a great defensive mind so we should be able to stop them.
    I would never discount the runs, my point was that they need to clean them up and then the run defense will look much much better than it appears at the moment. On most of those runs poor tackling, bad angles, and not understanding assignment (looking at you K9) are all correctable issues…the refreshing part is that the front line is not getting manhandled like last year on average they are playing the run game much better than in 2021, in 2021 we didn’t have as many long run breakdowns but the opposition knew they could run twice and get a first down run twice and get a first down etc…things are getting better they need to cleanup the tackling and the missed assignments

the poor passing defense is a surprising concern to me especially in the redzone…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I would never discount the runs, my point was that they need to clean them up and then the run defense will look much much better than it appears at the moment. On most of those runs poor tackling, bad angles, and not understanding assignment (looking at you K9) are all correctable issues…the refreshing part is that the front line is not getting manhandled like last year on average they are playing the run game much better than in 2021, in 2021 we didn’t have as many long run breakdowns but the opposition knew they could run twice and get a first down run twice and get a first down etc…things are getting better they need to cleanup the tackling and the missed assignments

the poor passing defense is a surprising concern to me especially in the redzone…
      Gotcha! I agree when you say it that way.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

It will take a JC at his top.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

once they clean up long run plays allowed this run defense should get a lot better…
          Yep, that’s all we need, just that one thing…

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Who’s left on the schedule that has a better or similar combination like the browns with an elite O-line and elite running backs? I see the 49ers as the only team left on our schedule that can touch the browns in that department and we’re not playing the eagles this year…

I’ve read the falcons are running well, who else? Who else is left that has a quality offensive line and runs well?
            The titans have Derrick Henry. Josh Jacobs is having a great season for the Raiders you mentioned the falcons. We’re going to get a good luck at Kenneth Walker on the Seahawks and they always seem to run well. So plenty of teams that can take advantage of a poor run defense

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The titans have Derrick Henry. Josh Jacobs is having a great season for the Raiders you mentioned the falcons. We’re going to get a good luck at Kenneth Walker on the Seahawks and they always seem to run well. So plenty of teams that can take advantage of a poor run defense
              Remember the titans and I forgot about the titans, but I don’t know much about the titan O-line, is it safe to say that some of the other teams don’t have that combination I mentioned, elite O-line combined with elite RB?

Also read post #6551 on the previous page, our pass defense is the reason we are ranked so low defensively, we have a lower ranking for passing yards allowed than for running yards allowed…

our poor defensive rankings are currently being generated by our pass defense…we are ranked in the bottom three defenses for pass completion percentage allowed and pass TDs in the redzone allowed…this lead us to be tied for the most points allowed in the league…read the post…all the stats are there…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

A lot of hand wringing and overanalyzing going on round here...I don't blame you...we aren't meeting offseason expectations...but those expectations were based on a roster that doesn't exist. Slater, Bosa, and Allen down....JC, big acquisition, still getting his feel after missing crucial time. Herbert knicked up pretty bad, but struggling through...sorting out the pecking order in the RB room.

For me, it's more about what happens after the Bye...that will be the team we have...that needs to work....to make it to the playoffs. You have a team now that has a lot of new pieces, and other pieces that are missing...biggest reason, IMO, we have been so inconsistent. Still finding our identity. Whether we win these games in the soft part of the schedule may not matter in the end anyhow...what will matter is what we bring to the field in the tough second half, and how we finish...that is what I'm waiting to see....both from a player standpoint, and even more so, coaching.
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                  A lot of hand wringing and overanalyzing going on round here...I don't blame you...we aren't meeting offseason expectations...but those expectations were based on a roster that doesn't exist. Slater, Bosa, and Allen down....JC, big acquisition, still getting his feel after missing crucial time. Herbert knicked up pretty bad, but struggling through...sorting out the pecking order in the RB room.

For me, it's more about what happens after the Bye...that will be the team we have...that needs to work....to make it to the playoffs. You have a team now that has a lot of new pieces, and other pieces that are missing...biggest reason, IMO, we have been so inconsistent. Still finding our identity. Whether we win these games in the soft part of the schedule may not matter in the end anyhow...what will matter is what we bring to the field in the tough second half, and how we finish...that is what I'm waiting to see....both from a player standpoint, and even more so, coaching.
                  one thing about Marty’s teams that I loved (not his playoff record) but he always finished the regular season strong 6-0, 8-0, etc…staley going 1-3 to finish last year was a HUGE disappointment…it really says a lot about a coach and staff how they finish the year, if that happens again this year I’ll be fucking pissed if they don’t fire his ass…twice is a trend type of deal in my book…

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Agree on those. First one s a gimme. This place is panic central. But i guess it isnt much different than other team forums. Lots of new faces on defense but some have been in this system before. Just getting used to each other i guess. After the bye i expect to see us getting better unless we have some big time injuries. We have the players on defense and we knew unless Murray took a step up the LBs were that great. Murray hasnt taken that big step yet.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Jacobs gained 57 or so yards against us. Good average but it was Adams and their TE that were the threat in our first matchup. fortunately, whenever Carr has to win a game, I’m somehow relieved and calm. Just give it time, doesn’t matter how well his skill receivers play for 50 minutes, he’ll fuck it up before its over.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Jacobs gained 57 or so yards against us. Good average but it was Adams and their TE that were the threat in our first matchup. fortunately, whenever Carr has to win a game, I’m somehow relieved and calm. Just give it time, doesn’t matter how well his skill receivers play for 50 minutes, he’ll fuck it up before its over.
                        I guess you missed our season finale last year.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yep, that’s all we need, just that one thing…
                          Tackling is #1 IMO. Cut explosive plays before they get rolling.

Comment

Working...
                          X