• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Im not worried about Scho coming back, lol, and i do agree Jaimes did not look great. I thought Sarell played better and we are thinner at OT than OG. I guess either they decided Jaimes OG backup was more important, he plays on more ST, or they have better swing options at OT vs OG, or its the old TT-draft-reprieve card once again?

Its not like Sarell is an old player who long ago peaked - he’s still young and improving too. He’s on the PS, so he’s still here.
    tackles are harder to find than guards, I would’ve definitely cut jaimes over sarell, I’m excited sarell made it to the PS but will he stay there long? IDK, he still has upside and he’s in his second year, I’d feel more comfortable if he was safe on the roster instead of fucking jaimes…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
      Aboushi ?
      Why not? Where’s it written all the reserve spots should be taken by developing players? Besides, jaimes looks like a dead end, that ceiling has already been hit, he reminds me of former chargers like lamp and feeney
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I find it charming that throwing deep is your priority.
        Brady is widely acknowledged as the Greatest Of All Time at QB and many feel still is.
        Brady and Herbert were 1 and 2 in 2021 passing yards. Both shared the same air yards per pass.
        I am reasonably certain that JH has the stronger arm and better long ball but find it hard to argue with success.
        The offense scoring points is my priority.

The reason why Brady and Herbert were #1 and #2 in passing yardage is because they were also #1 and #2 in passing attempts. I have already stated previously that I have no issue with Lombardi increasing our percentage of passing plays. I think he got that part right.

But the stats also prove that he focused too heavily on the short passing game. Bottom 5 in air yards per attempt deep into the season and zero deep pass receptions for Guyton until week 13. That is pretty much the end of the discussion on the subject of whether or not we threw deep to Guyton enough. Of course we did not. As I stated previously, this is in the category of the completely obvious.

Regarding the assertion that the offense was successful, I will simply note that the offensive unit is loaded with great receivers, a good OL and arguably the best QB in the NFL. This offense should be leading the league in scoring. Yet, it took Staley going for it aggressively on 4th downs to move the offense form the teens in scoring into the edge of the top 5. The offense has better talent than that and Lombardi is not getting everything out of the players at this point.

Being barely a top 5 scoring team with our team's talent last year is like Norv Turner getting 11 wins out of the 2007 team. It looks like great coaching, but it is actually an underachievement given the team's talent and Staley getting a whole bunch of those points for us by going for it on 4th downs.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The reason why Brady and Herbert were #1 and #2 in passing yardage is because they were also #1 and #2 in passing attempts. I have already stated previously that I have no issue with Lombardi increasing our percentage of passing plays. I think he got that part right.

But the stats also prove that he focused too heavily on the short passing game. Bottom 5 in air yards per attempt deep into the season and zero deep pass receptions for Guyton until week 13. That is pretty much the end of the discussion on the subject of whether or not we threw deep to Guyton enough. Of course we did not. As I stated previously, this is in the category of the completely obvious.

Regarding the assertion that the offense was successful, I will simply note that the offensive unit is loaded with great receivers, a good OL and arguably the best QB in the NFL. This offense should be leading the league in scoring. Yet, it took Staley going for it aggressively on 4th downs to move the offense form the teens in scoring into the edge of the top 5. The offense has better talent than that and Lombardi is not getting everything out of the players at this point.

Being barely a top 5 scoring team with our team's talent last year is like Norv Turner getting 11 wins out of the 2007 team. It looks like great coaching, but it is actually an underachievement given the team's talent and Staley getting a whole bunch of those points for us by going for it on 4th downs.
          A different way to look at last year is that they were installing a highly complex offense with a young second year phenom QB that they didn’t want to over load and risk confusing. Even towards the end of the year you could tell herbert was still not being allowed to ‘take charge’ of the offense. It takes time for people thrown together to learn to trust each other, learn each others tendencies, and learn each others limitations. You make a lot of bold claims like “this offense should be leading the league in scoring” without recognizing what I stated above or giving credit for any of their accomplishments. We’ve all seen teams with even more talent than the chargers struggle and fall on their faces. Talent alone doesn’t guarantee success in the NFL and you should know this…plus the truth is the offense is not the reason that the team failed to make the playoffs so why are you so interested in talking about the deficiencies of the offense? Maybe they cut a player or fired a coach you liked on offense last year? Is this about T-billy? I wasn’t around but maybe you were one of those guys…

Could it have been better? Yes, and you could say the same thing about the #1 offense, hell I’m certain their are a handful of LA rams fans on their forums making similar arguments like the ones you make about last year, “the coaches messsed this up, the players didn’t do this, we didn’t have any business winning that superbowl and any of the previous ten superbowl winners would’ve beat us because of these select statistics and we just got lucky!”
          :LOL:

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

If your priority is scoring points, why do you bitch so much about a squad that was #5 while largely ignoring the actual cause they did not win more games = a defense ranked 30th in key measurables.

“Barely top 5” … lol, if ever the oxymoron was written … fucking hilarious. I’m going to have to quote that shit, its comedy gold! For the record, they were 12 points ahead of #6 but only 6 points behind #4. We should call them “almost top 4”
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

A different way to look at last year is that they were installing a highly complex offense with a young second year phenom QB that they didn’t want to over load and risk confusing. Even towards the end of the year you could tell herbert was still not being allowed to ‘take charge’ of the offense. It takes time for people thrown together to learn to trust each other, learn each others tendencies, and learn each others limitations. You make a lot of bold claims like “this offense should be leading the league in scoring” without recognizing what I stated above or giving credit for any of their accomplishments. We’ve all seen teams with even more talent than the chargers struggle and fall on their faces. Talent alone doesn’t guarantee success in the NFL and you should know this…plus the truth is the offense is not the reason that the team failed to make the playoffs so why are you so interested in talking about the deficiencies of the offense? Maybe they cut a player or fired a coach you liked on offense last year? Is this about T-billy? I wasn’t around but maybe you were one of those guys…

Could it have been better? Yes, and you could say the same thing about the #1 offense, hell I’m certain their are a handful of LA rams fans on their forums making similar arguments like the ones you make about last year, “the coaches messsed this up, the players didn’t do this, we didn’t have any business winning that superbowl and any of the previous ten superbowl winners would’ve beat us because of these select statistics and we just got lucky!”
              :LOL:
              Exactly and Herbert even said he was drowning learning the offense. That's one huge aspect that CC doesn't get.

Also MW got many longer throws and Guyton just isn't what he thinks he is and he is far from the key to this offenses success.

Andy Issabela is faster than Guyton but had 1 reception last year. Speed isn't everything but I guess it is to CC.

Finally, please show us these air yards stats he keeps speaking of. I've never seen that anywhere.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

tackles are harder to find than guards, I would’ve definitely cut jaimes over sarell, I’m excited sarell made it to the PS but will he stay there long? IDK, he still has upside and he’s in his second year, I’d feel more comfortable if he was safe on the roster instead of fucking jaimes…
                QFT, i don’t get it.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Barely 5, almost 4, lucky to be 3, loser 2, and only 1 cuz 2 is a loser.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Exactly and Herbert even said he was drowning learning the offense. That's one huge aspect that CC doesn't get.

Also MW got many longer throws and Guyton just isn't what he thinks he is and he is far from the key to this offenses success.

Andy Issabela is faster than Guyton but had 1 reception last year. Speed isn't everything but I guess it is to CC.

Finally, please show us these air yards stats he keeps speaking of. I've never seen that anywhere.
                    Imagine Herbert throwing to Tyreek Hill

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Imagine Herbert throwing to Tyreek Hill
                      #checkmate
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Back off my guy Jaimes!
                        dude will be a starter somewhere one day.
                        Sarell will be a career, practice squad journeyman.
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Sarell did look pretty good in the preseason and if you watch Rumph mic'd up, he does some one-on-ones with a tackle that I am pretty sure is Sarell prior to the Dallas game and Sarell manhandles him both times. Rumph even says something like, dang why you gotta do that to me? I think it was a numbers game that landed Sarell on the PS vs the roster. All the Charger backups are position versatile - Salyer can play G/T maybe even center in an emergency, Jaimes can play G/T, Clapp can play C/G. Norton can play L/RT and has starting experience so he is the one exception.

I really liked Jaimes last preseason not sure what has happened to him.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X