• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I think the defense will improve as some guys get healthy and come back from IR, but how much? I’ve also become skeptical of staley’s scheme, it’s the single biggest issue I have with him, I expected a top 12-13 defense at the very least and so far that hasn’t materialized…
    We're only missing Joey Bosa. Granted that's a big piece but our offense has been hurt worse than our defense.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We're only missing Joey Bosa. Granted that's a big piece but our offense has been hurt worse than our defense.
      If the defense doesn’t steadily improve as the season progresses I’ll be driving the ‘fire staley bus’ even without bosa there is way too much talent here compared to the lack of production…I don’t think it’s too much to ask that a defensive coach have a top 12-13 defense…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Sorry Jim, I don't save old links in a box somewhere, do you? If you're saying you haven't heard him talking about defense and haven't noticed that he thinks he runs a different (better) defense than most do, I can't imagine how you have missed that.

When they hired him and started talking about the number one defense of the Rams, I immediately wondered if it was #1 because of his coaching or because that team had some of the best players in the league. It must be a lot easier to coach great players.

So, this off-season the team got him some great players for this defense and I expected this to be a great defense. I even said it he can't win with this crew he's not a good HC. I still feel like that. I hoped that he would turn our team into a really outstanding team with the best, or one of the best defenses in the NFL. I had visions of him growing into a great coach. I thought how Belichick was poor at first (in Cleveland) but grew into a HC with multiple SB wins.

I'm still hoping for that but I've lost some confidence in that ever happening. He needs to get these good players he has on this years defense playing like a well-oiled machine or he'll be another of those first-time HC's that get fired. I hope he can do it and I hope he leads the Bolts to multiple SB's even though I know I won't be here to see it.
        Thanks for the well considered reply. For the most part, we're on the same page. I just don't believe that BS ever said "I'm a defensive guru" or words to that effect. He doesn't deny his past, a QB who has coached defense and has had success.
        I believe that he made some good and some great choices in FA. Clearly that has not been an immediate overwhelming success. Currently a little better than '21. I am not favorably impressed with Hill and seriously doubt that BS is making him play weak D. I do think the D will continue to improve. How much and will it be soon enough? I don't know. I do think JC Jackson will get better every week and that will help.
        We should control a struggling Donk offense. So, test #6 Mon night.
        Go Bolts!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I like it! Most lay blame on our HC, who was a leading DC a few years ago but give our Defensive Coordinator a pass.
          It's mutual But Staley's guilt lies mostly with choosing and sticking with Hill. who is definitely on the hot seat.
          The DC doesn't get a pass for an unexpectedly weak product just because his HC is a former DC.
          Staley is clear he calls the defence during games though. It is his baby.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

It would be nice if our run defence wasnt the joke of the league at least. It is 2 years running now, with different personnel, not a one off.

Even today reading FF updates Melvin Gordons' update was a sweet matchup with Chargers "tissue soft" run defence. Chargers are known around the league as a team that is a dream match up for run games.

All the analytics and complex coverages is fine and dandy but how about mastering the basics ...stop the damn run!

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Not sold on OBJ. I think we already have couple of WRs with the same trait. Let’s get a cheap burner to stretch the field. I heard T-Billy is available.
              I'm with you then.... 100% with T-Billy

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Staley is clear he calls the defence during games though. It is his baby.
                For the most part but the plays called has little or nothing to do with poor execution, players appearing to not know their responsibility.
                That's both. Hill isn't getting the job done and Staley is putting up with it.
                Overall D stats aside, the LAC D is inconsistent. They do make some good plays, then blow a chunk.
                Hope remains. We still have some quality D players if they can get on the same page.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

It would be nice if our run defence wasnt the joke of the league at least. It is 2 years running now, with different personnel, not a one off.

Even today reading FF updates Melvin Gordons' update was a sweet matchup with Chargers "tissue soft" run defence. Chargers are known around the league as a team that is a dream match up for run games.

All the analytics and complex coverages is fine and dandy but how about mastering the basics ...stop the damn run!
                  if the 2nd, 3rd, and 4rth quarter of the browns game are any indication…the run defense is improving…the chargers gave up 78 total combined rushing yards to chubb and hunt after quarter number 1, the longest runs the browns had after the first quarter went 14, 10, 7, and 6 yards…the rest of the carries that chubb and hunt had for 3 quarters netted them 41 yards combined and that includes being thrown for losses of -4, -3, and twice for -1 yards with another 2-3 rushes for no gain…the chargers responded really well against the run after the first quarter, K9 stepped up, covington stepped up, everyone stepped it up!

now they just have to do that thru 1 complete game and that browns game could be the start of something going forward…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

if the 2nd, 3rd, and 4rth quarter of the browns game are any indication…the run defense is improving…the chargers gave up 78 total combined rushing yards to chubb and hunt after quarter number 1, the longest runs the browns had after the first quarter went 14, 10, 7, and 6 yards…the rest of the carries that chubb and hunt had for 3 quarters netted them 41 yards combined and that includes being thrown for losses of -4, -3, and twice for -1 yards with another 2-3 rushes for no gain…the chargers responded really well against the run after the first quarter, K9 stepped up, covington stepped up, everyone stepped it up!

now they just have to do that thru 1 complete game and that browns game could be the start of something going forward…
                    Lets hope so!!!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Lets hope so!!!
                      Who’s left on the schedule that has a better or similar combination like the browns with an elite O-line and elite running backs? I see the 49ers as the only team left on our schedule that can touch the browns in that department and we’re not playing the eagles this year…

I’ve read the falcons are running well, who else? Who else is left that has a quality offensive line and runs well?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

I posted this on another thread but it bears mentioning here too because it relates to your post…

About the run defense…

our run defense has allowed the 14th most rush yards in the NFL this year despite getting torched by cleveland in one quarter for 103 yards…by comparison our pass defense has allowed the 17th most passing yards…

our run defense has allowed the 6th fewest rushing TDs on the ground despite the browns getting three on sunday…by comparison our pass defense ranks 29th for passing TDs allowed, just three spots from dead bottom of the league!!!

all these passing TDs being given up has us tied for most points allowed in the NFL this year! were the 3rd worst defense in completion percentage allowed! and the 4rth worst in passing redzone TDs!

the pass defense and not the run defense is contributing to this defense not being a top 15 defense ATM, not the other way around!

Our linebackers and safeties have not been good in coverage and JC Jackson playing hurt has not helped matters either…the good news is that once Jackson is healthy and if we can get more from our linebackers and safeties this defense could become a balanced defense…

teams could also be throwing on us more than last year because our run defense has improved…right now our defense has the 3 fewest rushing attempts in the league against us, but at the same time we have the 23rd most passing attempts against us…

for total passing yards allowed we are decent at 17th in the league, we need to desperately shore up our red zone pass coverage…it has to get better…and we have to allow less TDs thru the air and a lower completion percentage on short intermediate routes in the middle of the field

it bears mentioning that allowing the 14th most rushing yards on the 3rd fewest attempts is not a good look for the run defence either, but a lot of that has been on some long rushing plays last sunday, one 75 yarder against the texans, and a few long ones against jacksonville, once they clean up long run plays allowed this run defense should get a lot better…

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

I posted this on another thread but it bears mentioning here too because it relates to your post…

About the run defense…

our run defense has allowed the 14th most rush yards in the NFL this year despite getting torched by cleveland in one quarter for 103 yards…by comparison our pass defense has allowed the 17th most passing yards…
                          , but a lot of that has been on some long rushing plays last sunday, one 75 yarder against the texans, and a few long ones against jacksonville, once they clean up long run plays allowed this run defense should get a lot better…
                          Conversly, if we had only ripped off one 75 yard run in each of our games we would be leading the league in rushing.

The point is, you can't just discount those long runs, they happened. We must stop those long runs. We have a HC that's a great defensive mind so we should be able to stop them.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X