• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Hicks played 9 games as in 2021, missed 8. Anyone know why? Father Time, line 1?

I think signing another value priced aged vet DL will get us more of exactly what we’ve had the last 5 years. TT has tried that for years here - Mebane, Joseph, rinse and repeat. Its time to invest #1 in a perky plump true Beast of the future and stop trying to wring the last drop of milk out of yet another pair of old sagging tits.
    I totally agree. Hicks is signed for cheap rotational depth only. Maybe 2.5m-3m per year. Just good veteran depth not counted on to play starter snaps

But alongside Justin Jones, presuming he is back - Telesco needs to go spend some damn cash and get a player in their friggin prime to pair with Justin Jones. Plus add a draft pick.

So in my team building: Jones (or a like priced player in Free agency); another player in free agency; a draft pick and than maybe a guy like Hicks. Thats a lot of investment in DLine but thats where it needs to start

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Hicks played 9 games as in 2021, missed 8. Anyone know why? Father Time, line 1?

I think signing another value priced aged vet DL will get us more of exactly what we’ve had the last 5 years. TT has tried that for years here - Mebane, Joseph, rinse and repeat. Its time to invest #1 in a perky plump true Beast of the future and stop trying to wring the last drop of milk out of yet another pair of old sagging tits.
      We might as well just resign Joseph instead of going after another older vet. I agree that draft is the way. Unfortunately, I don’t see a DT worth taking at 17.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We have the money, throw it at Fatusaki.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think for RT -- Telesco should use the draft. Its fine for depth to sign a veteran for cheap like the Packers did with Kelly. Granted, I think Pipkins as your back up OT with a guy like Norton behind him. So the OL would look something like this if you bring back Aboushi

Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Aboushi or Jaimes, and Rookie RT
          backups: Q'berry, Pipkins, Aboushi or Jaimes and Norton

that might be a start but I think a younger RT drafted by Round 3 is the way to go
          Nay. If the rookie RT can make an impact right away like Slater, then it would be good. If not, FA is the better way to go. Hopefully someone that impacts the team like Linsley, Feiler, Aboushi, and even Bulaga when he was healthy, has. This team needs to win now, especially given that TT is being further examined.

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Now, between injuries and fatigue, I think we need more than just two solid interior D-lineman. I’d like to resign Jones, add Hicks, and then look for somebody in the draft. Then know that Tillery does have value in passing situations and as a piece to spell the starters.
          The IDL doesn't have a good pass rusher after Tillery. The team should be looking for that. Staley must learn how to work the rotation better in dividing the snaps among the DL, and have a better mix of run stoppers and pass rushers. That is the issue right now. He has to know not to be stubborn in his ways too.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Adderly just came off his best season and did a nice job staying healthy. Once upon a time I taught test prep for Kaplan. Students naturally prefer to spend time studying the stuff they’re better at. But you have to teach them that there is more room to gain points in the areas they’re weaker at. We should be spending resources in other areas where we are weaker. Adderly is not an overwhelming position of strength, but he’s absolutely a solid player who had a decent season. If anything, he’s a feather in the cap of Brandon Staley and our coaching staff as he is another guy who had his best season under Staley. Plus, add some quality to the D-line and have them put more pressure on opposing QBs and I’m sure he will look even better next year.

I would like to see us lock him up with an extension sooner rather than later because if he has another solid season I bet his price tag goes up.
            I like Adderly and aren’t looking to replace him. Agreed, fix the holes first (and don’t create any more by not resigning your quality players). Addition, not subtraction or staying even
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Nay. If the rookie RT can make an impact right away like Slater, then it would be good. If not, FA is the better way to go. Hopefully someone that impacts the team like Linsley, Feiler, Aboushi, and even Bulaga when he was healthy, has. This team needs to win now, especially given that TT is being further examined.

The IDL doesn't have a good pass rusher after Tillery. The team should be looking for that. Staley must learn how to work the rotation better in dividing the snaps among the DL, and have a better mix of run stoppers and pass rushers. That is the issue right now. He has to know not to be stubborn in his ways too.
              the draft is after free agency - and the pickings are usually pretty slim for Free AGent OTs - even RTs. TEams just usually do not let good OL hit free agency - unless injury concerns

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

the draft is after free agency - and the pickings are usually pretty slim for Free AGent OTs - even RTs. TEams just usually do not let good OL hit free agency - unless injury concerns
                And older.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

And older.
                  Exactly. Older as well

So I think you get RT in the draft; I think also CB in the draft as guys like Carlton Davis, the Patriots guy, they are going to cost money.

Free agency I can see more IDL depth, maybe Edge depth, RB like Conner.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Exactly. Older as well

So I think you get RT in the draft; I think also CB in the draft as guys like Carlton Davis, the Patriots guy, they are going to cost money.

Free agency I can see more IDL depth, maybe Edge depth, RB like Conner.
                    It’ll be interesting to see what happens in this year’s FA since we spent so much last year trying to fix the OL and get starters. But yeah, we need depth. I also want some ST help also. Too bad Ryan Smith missed most of the year. But that was a good strategy to fix ST.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in this year’s FA since we spent so much last year trying to fix the OL and get starters. But yeah, we need depth. I also want some ST help also. Too bad Ryan Smith missed most of the year. But that was a good strategy to fix ST.
                      Based on bringing back players like White, Nwosu, Jones and Mike Williams (signed to a long term deal and not just franchised) - plus signing Aboushi, Guyton Anderson, Hopkins, Parham, Norton -- I have the Chargers with about $15m of cap space, if they release Bulaga.

I think that could be enough for one bigger money defensive player and a medium priced player plus hopefully a couple guys like Fackrell and Aboushi where you try to catch lightning in a bottle

I go back to Mike Williams - but the difference between the franchise tag and getting him done on a long term deal is 7-8m of cap space.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Along the DL... I'd bring in Sebastian Joseph-Day (Staley familiarity), Austin Johnson (steady depth @NT) and DT Harrison Phillips. These guys will be effective, not cost you big money (like a quality CB) and allow you to focus on other needs in the draft. Obviously have to re-sign Justin Jones...

A DL of: Jones, Sebastian-Day, and Phillips would give you a stout run D. Rotate in Tillery, Johnson, and Gaziano for situational football... and that would be a relative cheap re-build.

And it would infuse youth/health.

Comment

• Parcells
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

FA wish list atm....

RB Ronald Jones,
                          D’Ernest Johnson, WR Cedrick Wilson, TE Mike Gesicki, RT Morgan Moses, NT Danny Shelton, 4T BJ Hill, ED Dorance Armstrong, CB Levi Wallace, K Younghoe Koo

If we’re gonna grab a free agent TE I think David Njoku will cost less and is actually the guy I would prefer. He’s an athletic freak. Both guys are talented, but I feel like Njoku was wasted in Cleveland and will be a lot cheaper than Gesicki. Put an athletic freak of a TE in this offense and know that he’ll never face double coverage…guy could give us flashbacks of Gates.

Comment

Working...
                          X